The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Doyle-Hayes was a far better player than St Mirren fans saw, your manager just had no idea how to get the best out of him.
Is St Mirrens midfield weaker for having Power there instead of JDH?
Yes.
Be interesting to see how you replace McGrath, he'll be gone by the end of the next week.
Try the worm in this muggy weather, not too many risers to a fly in these conditions [emoji5]

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

😂 scenes as Pozbaird finally succeeds in the ballot but his phone runs out of juice on the walk up to the ground. Sorry, shouldn't laugh, but...

More likely, scenes as Pozbaird is third time lucky in a ballot, but having charged up his phone to 100%, drives off from Cumbernauld with the thing still left charging in the kitchen….

’Alexa, set a reminder for 1.45pm tomorrow’

’What’s the reminder for?’

’Don’t forget your phone, you stupid cnut’

’Reminder set for 1.45pm tomorrow’

4 hours ago, Ric said:

No, he stopped playing because he wanted more money. It's really as simple as that.

As I said earlier the idea that a player suddenly "stops being good" because he's asked to play slightly differently to what he wants is daft, either that or he wasn't that good to begin with. It's not like Goodwin played him in defence or out on the wing.

100% this.

JDH's drop in performances pretty much coincided with itbecoming obvious that our contract offer wasn't acceptable to him and his agent.

His head was elsewhere after that.

100% this.

Jake was taken off at half time against Aberdeen with a foot injury - suspected fracture and he left the stadium on crutches. However he started playing again 2 games a week through the pain barrier as we were down to the bare bones of a squad as Jamie was also out with a dislocated shoulder. I do not buy that he downed tools.

28 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

100% this.

JDH's drop in performances pretty much coincided with itbecoming obvious that our contract offer wasn't acceptable to him and his agent.

His head was elsewhere after that.

To be honest, I thought JDH's performance drop pretty much coincided with him getting injured, then being rushed back into the team for the period where we played nearly a quarter of the season's games in a month. Everyone's performances dropped at that point, the squad was stretched thin and visibly knackered.

Northbank beat me to it!

Edited by GAD

Maybe a bit of both. What it definitely wasn't was down to him being asked to play a few feet away from the position he'd like to be.

However, it's clear from his dalliances with United then to Hibs, either he or his agent think of £££'s first before anything else.

Back in Feb we could not fill the bench. Sometimes  having two keepers there in among a couple of kids. The team were playing two games a week and they all looked knackered. JDH was no worse than anyone else at the time. Yea JDH mucked us about over his contract but I never saw him shirk a tackle or look disinterested. Only exhausted like the rest of them and unlike the rest he was carrying an injury. Even Jamie was rushed back to bolster the depleted numbers though he had his shoulder strapped up following his dislocation.

40 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

100% this.

Jake was taken off at half time against Aberdeen with a foot injury - suspected fracture and he left the stadium on crutches. However he started playing again 2 games a week through the pain barrier as we were down to the bare bones of a squad as Jamie was also out with a dislocated shoulder. I do not buy that he downed tools.

38 minutes ago, GAD said:

To be honest, I thought JDH's performance drop pretty much coincided with him getting injured, then being rushed back into the team for the period where we played nearly a quarter of the season's games in a month. Everyone's performances dropped at that point, the squad was stretched thin and visibly knackered.

Northbank beat me to it!

Fair points on the injury and the number of games the team were playing as a whole.

But there were times during games where his body language was suspect to me.

Could be it wasn't contract related, and maybe if there hadn't been so much speculation around the offer then it wouldn't have come across that away.

Either way, I don't think most Saints fans were as bothered about him not staying with us in June as they would have been in January.

5 hours ago, Ric said:

Tell you what, there's no need for us to release our finances, we'll just direct people to some random poster online.

Edit: A quick look on other threads suggests most clubs in this division don't need to release their finances either.

Major vibes in this thread of the glory days of the South of Scotland League forum where everyone knew the relative fortunes on offer to players at all the other clubs, while insisting their own outfit was only paying folk the pittance of a pack of pickled onion crisps and some strawberry flavoured Chewits. And I, for one, am all for that.

Still no explanation as to why it’s still only 1039 tomorrow.

Additionally, what the f**k are the “historical issues within the stadium”? You mean the stadium that only opened 12 years ago. 
I notice the statement also says that the “historical issues” only “came to light in the last few weeks”, whatever that means.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Minimum 5000 fans for St J game 
Every club that has asked their LA for max capacity has had it approved almost the same day yet our statement says the club is working hard to get more than 5000 in post 9 August. What exactly are the historical stadium issues, when did they occur given we have always had a stadium safety license and most importantly why oh why to the club feel they cant make the issue public. It's all very odd !!!

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

I appreciate that fans have valid complaints about the way tickets/ballots have been handled, but I'll not lie... I'll be happy not to read another post about it!

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Silvio said:

What exactly are the historical stadium issues, when did they occur given we have always had a stadium safety license and most importantly why oh why to the club feel they cant make the issue public. It's all very odd !!!

It really is. Looks like something's been picked up when the inspection was carried out for the 1039 figure. A safety issue in the main stand which would have led to it closing, regardless of covid?

Noticeable as well, in relation to the St Johnstone game, the talk of "increasing the capacity above 5000" and having the "maximum number of supporters" rather than opening the whole stadium. Doesn't sound like they're overly confident it will all be resolved in the next 3 weeks. Main Stand season ticket holders shifted and no tickets for St Johnstone fans?