The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

It really is. Looks like something's been picked up when the inspection was carried out for the 1039 figure. A safety issue in the main stand which would have led to it closing, regardless of covid?
Noticeable as well, in relation to the St Johnstone game, the talk of "increasing the capacity above 5000" and having the "maximum number of supporters" rather than opening the whole stadium. Doesn't sound like they're overly confident it will all be resolved in the next 3 weeks. Main Stand season ticket holders shifted and no tickets for St Johnstone fans?
Possibly issues regarding the 1877 club ? Only feature bar the scoreboard that I can think of that was added since the stadium opened. Purely speculation on my part before anyone asks.

Yeah, not really convinced by the JDH chat. One swallow does not a Summer make. He played well for us at the start too, then faded, got bored, wanted more money and his agent hawked him around like a cheap hooker. I fully expect that cycle to happen with him at Hibs.
As for this, and sorry Sn1f I'm not singling you out here - lots of people have said the same, but I don't buy it at all. Are we genuinely saying that this guy is a great footballer unless he is asked to play maybe 10 yards different than his desired position? Yeah, that's not the case. He stopped playing because he wasn't being paid enough.
I don't think he stopped playing for us though Ric. I do take your point on board, he seemed to be rushed back from injury to help with the numbers.

Would it have helped his cause of getting a better deal elsewhere to down tools with a few months of the season left?

He was very tidy at what he did, take the ball off centre backs and get things ticking for us. I think we needed a bit more of his quality in the final third as others weren't providing it.

The transfer speculation must have been a distraction though, especially when Goodwin said he expected the deal to be signed in the next week ( January time I'm sure ) and we were left waiting and waiting.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Possibly issues regarding the 1877 club ? Only feature bar the scoreboard that I can think of that was added since the stadium opened. Purely speculation on my part before anyone asks.

There's also the platform at the back of the Main Stand for wheelchair users. It opened in 2017.

I think it's a load of bollox we have just had the best season we have had in about a trillion years without any fans watching .There plan is to keep us out until we eventually make Fitzys dream come true of being top six.And they do that by having no one in the stands putting pressure on players .So there you have it there master plan.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I think it's a load of bollox we have just had the best season we have had in about a trillion years without any fans watching .There plan is to keep us out until we eventually make Fitzys dream come true of being top six.And they do that by having no one in the stands putting pressure on players .So there you have it there master plan.

Maybe they thought the negativity of some fans was adversely affecting the players’ performance. 

Nah, can’t be that given how positive we all are, especially your good self. 

I received a call last night from Campbell. A few people now couldn't make it and we were next in line in the ballot.

This will be my son's first ever game. We are sitting in the north stand rather than where our season tickets will be, but I am so excited to be getting him to his first game.

It was a nice wee surprise last night at like 9pm.

I now want the football gods to help us with goals-a-plenty game today Vs Hearts like my first home game Vs ICT in the '99/'00 season which was 3-2... Nearly as good as the following home game that season which I think was 5-0 to us.

3 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I received a call last night from Campbell. A few people now couldn't make it and we were next in line in the ballot.

This will be my son's first ever game. We are sitting in the north stand rather than where our season tickets will be, but I am so excited to be getting him to his first game.

I now want the football gods to help us with goals-a-plenty game today Vs Hearts like my first home game Vs ICT in the '99/'00 season which was 3-2... Nearly as good as the following home game that season which I think was 5-0 to us.

Correct

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1999&GameID=199909040

10 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

St Mirren boardroom last night…

48CD72E6-51E2-4230-A749-A9C11D7DCAD6.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

I've said it before and after today I still feel the same. All the separate parts are there, we're just not putting them together as a whole.

Cant agree. We have areas that look ok but we have no pace, we don't have a player who can carry a ball forward and our strikers are poor. This is going to be a struggle until Goodwin finds the missing parts of this jigsaw. 

Time to bin Dennis after today. No excuses 

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yet to see a replay, and I never caught it the first time round.

Stupid heat of the moment decision from Dennis that will no doubt have repercussions for him. 

Deserves to be binned- no.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I've said it before and after today I still feel the same. All the separate parts are there, we're just not putting them together as a whole.

Agree with this. Don’t think we’ve got the players to play that system and it leaves Kiltie being pretty ineffective. Also think McCarthy is our best centre back, don’t think he deserves to be missing out. 

McGrath or Kiltie for me, not both in the current formation. didn’t think Tait looked too good today, thought Halliday had the beating of him (which is scary to say!)

Had a great view of Dennis’ red card and it was a stick on red, thing is Haring made a bee line to block him off, if he just ran into him there’s a decent chance we get the foul, as it was he moved out the way then clocked him with his arm. Was bizarre!

first ten minutes was pretty end to end then hearts got a foothold and absolutely dominated and passed the ball really well. Last ten mins of the first half they seemed to retreat, let us have the ball and be content to slow the game, was a bit surprising as they were battering us for a 25 minute spell

I actually thought we done ok second half, was hard to get going with Hearts slowing down the play at every opportunity. The second goal was an absolute shocker, pish defending, probably Alnwicks biggest mistake since joining, from where I was it looked like he just missed the ball.

ref had a nightmare, did he actually give an offside from a free kick that the linesman didn’t give?  

I'm worried about us already.

The manager seems to have committed to this 3-5-2 and has brought in players to supposedly fit this system. It doesn't work for us. Would much rather switch to a back four with Fraser at right back where he belongs. Big Joe and Mccarthy at centre half and bring in an actual left back.

That's two weeks in a row our 5 across the middle has been pretty much redundant as all we do is punt high balls up to Main in the hope he gets a flick on to Brophy.

Not once did we play the ball in to our strikers feet and ask them to hold it up for a midfield runner. Not once.

We have decent players - I think Power has added a lot in the middle of the park.

But I think we need to find a system that fits the players rather than the other way around.