The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

That's the biggest problem the club need to up its income otherwise the yoyo years will just continue. 

They will never be able to up there income as long as we don't have a proper trained commercial manager instead of someone who does his best but in reality is not qualified at it.

Don’t think it’s a case of the club coming up with the income, sounds like JG has spent all his budget.
He can’t complain that he’s not been backed 
Indeed. The blame for us not having any pace in the team lies firmly with the manager. Durmus and Connolly have been away for ages. He's had plenty of time to replace them.
Given that Kennedy has knocked us back, I now think, like Ric, that our rather public pursuit of him makes Goodwin look rather desperate. Also, if Dunne is fucked, then that's another ludicrous situation.
It's difficult to find any crumb of comfort as a supporter just now.

On 24/08/2021 at 11:01, Coventry Saint said:

If McGrath stays then Kiltie needs dropping, or we need to find a different system. As you say, it looks like we recruited early based on him leaving, with the plan of using the proceeds to add some gloss/class to the squad in other areas to the squad. We're now stuck with two (supposedly) first-choice number 10s treading on each other's toes. 

If McGrath wants to hang around and secure himself a more lucrative contract as a free agent next summer, then fair play to him, and on balance it's good news for us. But we need to shape the squad and tactics around the fact that our best player is still going to be here.

If McGrath stays, the only way Kiltie gets a game is if you play 4-2-3-1, Henderson on the right, McGrath in the middle and Kiltie on the left, it would mean dropping a striker though and playing Tanser as a left back, where hes not as comfortable as he is at wing back. Not sure if Goody will experiment - having said that St J were rotten in their 3-5-2 the first couple of months of last season until it clicked.

17 minutes ago, Hendo said:

If McGrath stays, the only way Kiltie gets a game is if you play 4-2-3-1, Henderson on the right, McGrath in the middle and Kiltie on the left, it would mean dropping a striker though and playing Tanser as a left back, where hes not as comfortable as he is at wing back. Not sure if Goody will experiment - having said that St J were rotten in their 3-5-2 the first couple of months of last season until it clicked.

Not strictly true. We were poor last season because we were playing 5-2-3 which was a totally new formation. Once we went back to playing 5-3-2 we became more solid since we’d been playing it the season beforehand. Albeit you’re right to say it takes time for a formation to actually click and work. 

8 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

That's the biggest problem the club need to up its income otherwise the yoyo years will just continue. 

What I mean is the manager has used most if not all the budget, players need to be moved on.

Goodwin had months to address the loss of Connolly and Durmus yet here we are still with no pace in the team.

Its got nothing to do with poor income, it’s poor management.

I think it's becoming fairly clear that we were hoping McGrath would get sold for a solid fee. I guess there's still a chance of a loan or two, but it seems the transfer market is generally quite quiet and I can't see much happening for us now, either in or out.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think it's becoming fairly clear that we were hoping McGrath would get sold for a solid fee. I guess there's still a chance of a loan or two, but it seems the transfer market is generally quite quiet and I can't see much happening for us now, either in or out.

JG was also hoping to offload McAllister and Erwin to create some space but that didn't work out either. 

4 hours ago, geo87 said:

Don’t think it’s a case of the club coming up with the income, sounds like JG has spent all his budget.

He can’t complain that he’s not been backed 

If he’s spent the entire budget and failed to sign one decent wide player with a bit of genuine pace, then we could be in for a long season. It is still early days and players still need to properly gel. But he really should have addressed the issue of replacing the two wingers who left the club. If he can do a deal where players leave to free up space in the squad, then that has to be his priority.

38 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

If he’s spent the entire budget and failed to sign one decent wide player with a bit of genuine pace, then we could be in for a long season. It is still early days and players still need to properly gel. But he really should have addressed the issue of replacing the two wingers who left the club. If he can do a deal where players leave to free up space in the squad, then that has to be his priority.

I think he knows that. I still expect to sign some kid from a big English club with a big future in the game, maybe the 2021 version of Adam Drury?

The problem is pacey wingers are no use in this system anyway as we play 3 at the back and 2 up front. Tanser is perfect for the lwb role but we have nobody really suited on the right hand side, probably Tait is the best option but he cant get up and down as much and his delivery is nowhere near as good as Tanser's.

Jim has already said McAllister is of no use to us in this system, so where are other wingers going to play? Also so far Kiltie hasn't shown he is better than McAllister.

Looking at the team on paper I contend there is enough in the current squad to make a decent fist of things, or at least until we hit the Winter transfer market. I don't see it working with the system we are using now, though.

The problem is pacey wingers are no use in this system anyway as we play 3 at the back and 2 up front. Tanser is perfect for the lwb role but we have nobody really suited on the right hand side, probably Tait is the best option but he cant get up and down as much and his delivery is nowhere near as good as Tanser's.
Jim has already said McAllister is of no use to us in this system, so where are other wingers going to play? Also so far Kiltie hasn't shown he is better than McAllister.
This . Where do wingers (pacy or otherwise) fit into the current formation ?

Oh and spot on about Connolly. He was basically a fast runner with a ball sometimes going with him, not getting all the "missing Connolly" rhetoric. Durmus on the other hand is a bigger loss imo than many realise.

15 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I can't see that we have spent the entire budget if we were pursuing Kennedy.

4 hours ago, davidmcc said:

The day it was announced we dropped interest in Kennedy Aberdeen announced their interest in McGrath dropped also.  Its been reported on twitter we are looking else where by Saints fans who work in the press. Goodwin wants more pace in the squad.  

4 hours ago, davidmcc said:

Indeed.

If we were willing to pursue Kennedy up to the last minute, given that he's on very decent wages, then we still have money to spend.

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

This . Where do wingers (pacy or otherwise) fit into the current formation ?

Oh and spot on about Connolly. He was basically a fast runner with a ball sometimes going with him, not getting all the "missing Connolly" rhetoric. Durmus on the other hand is a bigger loss imo than many realise.

I'm certainly not specifying that any player with pace that is signed is a winger. A wing back or even a forward would do.