The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

16 minutes ago, btb said:

Yeah but his conviction was 15 years ago, since then he's got a degree , done his time, and worked his way up the football ladder and has Livi safe from relegation again despite them prob'ly having the lowest budget in the division, the bantz  at work, Paisley twinned with Medellin - would luv it!

Would he see it as a step up?

Martindale was the ‘real’ manager all along, getting them up through the divisions.

I don’t disagree with your comments but if folk are moaning about Brown’s baggage then god knows what it would be like with Martindale. 😆

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Take this for what it's worth but I've heard the list of names we currently are interested on sounding out reads Jack Ross, Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson, James McPake and Marvin Bartley. 

Jack Ross would be my first choice. I’d take a punt on Bartley/Brown if the board felt they were a good fit. Other 2 I wouldn’t be entertaining.

10 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

It doesn’t insulate regarding managerial choices.

Financially it has to, the sheer wealth at their disposal means instead of signing a mid tier random European to sit on their bench for a few seasons, they can use the couple of million the player would cost to jettison the managerial team.

12 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

In any case, St Mirren can and have easily replaced a stack of players and managers in recent seasons. I’d say that clubs like ours are actually ‘insulated’ by our lack of wealth and expectations!

If anything that supports my point, if we hadn't wasted all that money on pointless gambles, then we would have had more to invest in the team.

I’m using it to highlight that your replies to me are irrelevant.

:lol:

Welcome back..

Its you who is attempting to compare the wealth of the OF with St Mirren to support your point. But their wealth is irrelevant as St Mirren are not really competing with those clubs. We’re competing against clubs in exactly the same financial position as ourselves. 

I wasn't the one who mentioned the OF in the first place.. ;) ..that was you, and you did it to prove a point, a point you now say is irrelevant. Come on now...

5 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Martindale was the ‘real’ manager all along, getting them up through the divisions.

I don’t disagree with your comments but if folk are moaning about Brown’s baggage then god knows what it would be like with Martindale. 😆

His baggage obviously counts against him as he didn't get much of a look-in for the Aberdeen job despite as you say having a better record than JG if you count his time as "assistant manager" at Livi.

I see Livi as having the least financial resources in the top flight and this must be the first time since we were both promoted that we are above them in the table, I'd see us as a better long term option (through my B&W tinted glasses) but he might not see it that way.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Grant McCann is surely a right good shout for an approach. Fresh out of work, decent record in England, pals with Goodwin so will be aware of the situation up here.

I was sure there was a connection between McCann and St Mirren, couldn't think of it until you mentioned the friendship between them.

I'll be honest, the wages Hull would be offering would surely be a barrier to McCann, even if he was interested.

Hard to judge Thomson as good when his team have a huge budget compared to all the other teams in their league. If they didn't run away with that league, then it would be a shocker. Also, granted his team are a League 2 club, but they're possibly the worst team I've ever seen at St Mirren Park - including diddies like Spartans and Broxburn. 

If Jack Ross isn't interested then I genuinely have no idea who I want in. None of the names that have been mentioned have been inspiring.

Yesterday evening, Scott Burns, on Twitter, suggested that we had someone lined up to replace Jim and that it wasn't Ross. A couple of hours later, out of left field, he breaks the Brown story. Scott Burns has a history of reliability when it comes to St Mirren stories.

Seems to me Brown is the one we want; might not even be anyone else approached. I just hope it's settled quick and we have an appointment on Monday or Tuesday.

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

I was sure there was a connection between McCann and St Mirren, couldn't think of it until you mentioned the friendship between them.

I'll be honest, the wages Hull would be offering would surely be a barrier to McCann, even if he was interested.

Unless he's on gardening leave, he's currently out of work.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Unless he's on gardening leave, he's currently out of work.

yeah, well I was going to mention something about that, didn't Tommy Wright have a similar clause?

I am wary of discussing contracts, though, as some Aberdeen fans get quite irate when I do.. ;)

45 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Grant McCann is surely a right good shout for an approach. Fresh out of work, decent record in England, pals with Goodwin so will be aware of the situation up here.

I would take McCann but I imagine he'll get another job in the Championship/League One relatively quickly. He was being strongly linked with the Sunderland job so he probably won't have to wait too long for a decent gig down south. Sadly.

Typical it was last week, rather than this week, where we didn't have a Tuesday/Wednesday night game as the board could do with a few days to see who comes out of the woodwork now that there is officially a vacancy.