The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Hi, my name is Matthew Muir and I am studying journalism at City of Glasgow College. 

I have published an article about potential candidates for the St. Mirren job, if any Buddies would be interested in reading. 

https://www.cityliveglasgow.com/journalism/2022/2/18/next-manager-options-four-managerial-candidates-to-replace-jim-goodwin-at-st-mirren 

5 minutes ago, MatthewM02 said:

I wish you well with your career but you might want to get someone to proof read that, statements like..

"Lennon’s contract was not renewed by the club in 2014, and eight years on, there is no denying that the Clyde boss deserves another crack at the top-flight."

Is patently incorrect. He employed a rapist and was happy to do so. There is not a single person claiming he deserves another crack and the fact Clyde are still in League One suggests he is not good enough a manager.

I like Lennon when he was at the club, he seemed a personable guy, but he's also the person who not just picked Goodwillie to play for his side but gave him a new contract.

Edited by Ric

To prove I do not wish a plague of locusts to befall Jim Goodwin, today his new team face Motherwell. In this game, I think the best result for St Mirren is an utter shitfest of a 0-0. Just like the St Johnstone v Aberdeen 1-1 in midweek, a decent outcome for us as we either eye top 6, or, don’t want those below us to get on a run of three-pointers.

Just my opinion, I always just want what is best for St Mirren.

Are we all aboard Broony’s Buddie Bandwagon yet? I’ve been out, might have missed something. 😀

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

To prove I do not wish a plague of locusts to befall Jim Goodwin, today his new team face Motherwell. In this game, I think the best result for St Mirren is an utter shitfest of a 0-0. Just like the St Johnstone v Aberdeen 1-1 in midweek, a decent outcome for us as we either eye top 6, or, don’t want those below us to get on a run of three-pointers.

Just my opinion, I always just want what is best for St Mirren.

Are we all aboard Broony’s Buddie Bandwagon yet? I’ve been out, might have missed something. 😀

If it's any consolation, I agree with your initial post. I wish Goodwin well personally as he's always seemed a nice guy, but in terms of on the pitch I want it to go spectacularly wrong. There should be no reason for people to grief you for that.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Take this for what it's worth but I've heard the list of names we currently are interested on sounding out reads Jack Ross, Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson, James McPake and Marvin Bartley. 

Well at least 4 can get tae. McPake is hopeless and Thomson is buying his success. 

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

If it's any consolation, I agree with your initial post. I wish Goodwin well personally as he's always seemed a nice guy, but in terms of on the pitch I want it to go spectacularly wrong. There should be no reason for people to grief you for that.

I spent five or six hours in his company when he partnered our team in a St Mirren golf day. He was a very nice guy to spend time chatting with. I’m reasonably sure that I posted on here at the time - saying he spoke well about football and was especially passionate about youth football and the way to bring young players through. I felt that he had top management material written all over him. I suspect my post will still be around somewhere. I also bumped into him once at the Fort shopping complex when he was part time and selling confectionary. Was equally happy to chat and seemed as nice a bloke as I remembered. Aberdeen are certainly getting a good guy, I just wish the same for Aberdeen as I do for any team that are in and around St Mirren in the league - defeats if it helps us at all, draws if it helps us at all, or wins if they actually suit us.

I know the most important thing is taking care of our own results, but the league is so tight, other results going your way really help.

Going to add this here rather than in the game thread, as I think it's interesting how Langfield speaks. Bearing in mind, this is after Goodwin has left, there doesn't seem to be doubt or concern, which is a positive and I have to say I think the Langfield comes across really well in the interview.

7 hours ago, btb said:

Cut to the chase, Brown is excess baggage at Aberdeen now - I just don't see it as a move that's in our best interest.

Totally agree!
Aberdeen need rid of Brown a lot more than we need him.
He is done as a player and now they have no need for him as a coach…………he just became a very expensive dud.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Going to add this here rather than in the game thread, as I think it's interesting how Langfield speaks. Bearing in mind, this is after Goodwin has left, there doesn't seem to be doubt or concern, which is a positive and I have to say I think the Langfield comes across really well in the interview.

Could Clangers be a genuine candidate for the big job ???