The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 hours ago, FTOF said:

I wouldn't mind Hladky back either, as he's not getting a look in at Ipswich.

I’ve not really followed Hladkys career since he left us but it does surprise me that he’s not a regular starter, he’s an excellent goalkeeper. 

I know he done well at Salford to get his move to Ipswich, and I’m sure he’s on a pretty wage, but he did genuinely seem to have a bond with St Mirren and I know both himself and his wife enjoyed living in Scotland. Would love to see him back in Paisley but with the reputation he has I would imagine bigger teams than us would be enquiring. Rangers could do worse than getting him in as McGregors replacement. 

5 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I would take Alnwick in as competition for Lewis at least, if not first choice. Ronan would be a good singing for us too, I’m sure wolves would accept a hundred grand or two to get him off the wage bill.

If Alnwick goes to Aberdeen he'll be number 1. Lewis has been a good servant to Aberdeen and an excellent keeper over his time. Right now Alnwick is the better keeper, no question. 

I'd be surprised if Ronan ended up at Aberdeen. Think he'll be playing in England next season, either Championship or League 1. I think he's good enough for the Championship but a lot of clubs down there still think someone who's playing in Scotland is a bit of a risk. 

6 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I would take Alnwick in as competition for Lewis at least, if not first choice. Ronan would be a good singing for us too, I’m sure wolves would accept a hundred grand or two to get him off the wage bill.

Wolves have been quoted by Goodwin himself as wanting at least £500k for him.

8 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I don't think Ronan has THAT championship in mind

Dunne has had a couple of poor games, last night was his poorest, but over the season he’s been pretty good for me. Interesting for me is that I would never expect to have seen a Goodwin team ship 4 cheap goals like last night.

Robinson needs to sort out the defensive frailties on show last night, if we are to have any hopes of a top six placing. 

Last night was a disappointment. But it was worth being there just to see Conors goal. 

The making of Robinson will not be defined by what happens between now and the end of the season. It will be how he shapes a side for the next campaign.

Plenty going out the door so he will have a lot of work to do. 

Hladky is a bit of a Jack Hamilton figure of fun on the Ipswich forum when I had a look a few month back.

He'd be excellent signing for Aberdeen as opposed to Alnwick.

St Mirren fans will obviously know more but I don't think you've got a half bad keeper in Lyness.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hladky is a bit of a Jack Hamilton figure of fun on the Ipswich forum when I had a look a few month back.

That’s very surprising to hear. He’s one of the most consistent ‘keepers I’ve seen in Scottish football. I genuinely can’t recall one mistake he made in his time at St Mirren. His handling, kicking and shot stopping were all excellent. It’s a difficult position and it’s possible hes had a bit of bad luck at Ipswich, as can happen to even the best of goalkeepers. Doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy that would be happy sitting on the bench every week either, it would be good to see him back in Scotland. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Wolves have been quoted by Goodwin himself as wanting at least £500k for him.

They could probably ask for double that now. Easily. Goals like that last night will only attract more attention. Maybe grasping at straws but I'd definitely rather not be facing him next season.

19 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Dunne has had a couple of poor games, last night was his poorest, but over the season he’s been pretty good for me. Interesting for me is that I would never expect to have seen a Goodwin team ship 4 cheap goals like last night.

Robinson needs to sort out the defensive frailties on show last night, if we are to have any hopes of a top six placing. 

It's a fine balancing act. We shipped plenty of cheap goals under Goodwin, look at Aberdeen away earlier this season.

We seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. We don't want to be watching shitfest football week in week out, it puts folk off and its easy to turn on the manager after a few bad results, look at Motherwell with Alexander. 

When you open up more to attack teams you leave yourself open at the back like last night. It's a hard balancing act but it's a problem that needs a solution in the next 3 games. Gogic and Power are our insurance in midfield to let the full backs push up ect. 

If we had a few defenders like Shaughnessy we'd be laughing but sadly we don't. 

Ronan, Jones, Alnwick, Gogic, and Tanser out of contract ? Did he sign a one or two year deal? We’ll have a very different team next season.

Im happy enough to let Robinson rebuild his own team. Recruitment will be very interesting to say the least. He’s got good contacts south of the border, we just need to hope he recruits well.

I would like McCarthy back in the team as he is a good defender and a good distributor when he has the ball. Dunne could play at left back as he has played there before and his speed would have helped last night in keeping up with opposition wingers. For me that solves two issues.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If I remember correctly its a guy over in Ireland that Goodwin knows. 

You'd imagine the club will have a relationship with the contact now too. I'd hope, given the success of McGrath and McCarthy, that we'd be keeping a keen eye on the Irish league. 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

You'd imagine the club will have a relationship with the contact now too. I'd hope, given the success of McGrath and McCarthy, that we'd be keeping a keen eye on the Irish league. 

Goodwin was saying in an interview that with various factors including McGrath and McCarthy it's difficult in the Irish market as people are now more aware of it. 

11 hours ago, houston_bud said:

If Alnwick goes to Aberdeen he'll be number 1. Lewis has been a good servant to Aberdeen and an excellent keeper over his time. Right now Alnwick is the better keeper, no question. 

I'd be surprised if Ronan ended up at Aberdeen. Think he'll be playing in England next season, either Championship or League 1. I think he's good enough for the Championship but a lot of clubs down there still think someone who's playing in Scotland is a bit of a risk. 

The only chance of Ronan being at Aberdeen next season (& it’s slim) is if a few things happen.

- Dons sell Lewis Ferguson - possible         

- Wolves sell him & we replace Ferguson with him - possible

- He doesn’t get an offer from a decent Championship club - unlikely. 

With all that above, IMO he’ll end up at a lower end Championship club. 

The only chance of Ronan being at Aberdeen next season (& it’s slim) is if a few things happen.
- Dons sell Lewis Ferguson - possible         
- Wolves sell him & we replace Ferguson with him - possible
- He doesn’t get an offer from a decent Championship club - unlikely. 
With all that above, IMO he’ll end up at a lower end Championship club. 

That’s a long way of saying there’s no chance he’s going to end up at shite like Aberdeen.

On 13/03/2022 at 09:49, Ludo*1 said:

He'd be excellent signing for Aberdeen as opposed to Alnwick.

St Mirren fans will obviously know more but I don't think you've got a half bad keeper in Lyness.

Lyness is indeed  excellent as is Urmansky, Would like Alnwick to stay not too bothered if he goes (If? He's certain to go )