The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Highlights of the NZ game here: Alex Greive very active/involved. No real need to add a footnote about the standard of opposition (FIFA rank 153, population of ~270k people), but he looks really sharp. I very much hope he's given game time for us as I think he has a lot to offer.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Someone mentioned Greive is the first Internationalist to score for us since the 60s.

Wouldn't Duckens Nazon count? He was with us in the first half of 2019, and during that time he scored for Haiti on the 24th of March, against Cuba.

Just now, Ric said:

Someone mentioned Greive is the first Internationalist to score for us since the 60s.

Wouldn't Duckens Nazon count? He was with us in the first half of 2019, and during that time he scored for Haiti on the 24th of March, against Cuba.

He was on loan at the time. It is the first player contracted to St Mirren to score an international goal since Thor Beck for Iceland in 1964. The last Saints player to score for Scotland while at St Mirren was Tommy Gemmell in 1955.

10 minutes ago, Lex said:

He was on loan at the time.

Isn't Greive on loan? There was certainly suggestions of it when he first signed, and there has been no clear statement to say either way since he joined.

Not that it matters, just saw that comment about it being decades and thought it was a bit odd.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Isn't Greive on loan? There was certainly suggestions of it when he first signed, and there has been no clear statement to say either way since he joined.

Not that it matters, just saw that comment about it being decades and thought it was a bit odd.

No, he signed an 18 month deal.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Excluding loan players is a bit of a cop out along the lines of "oops I forgot about that guy and now I'm covering my tracks".

In fairness, the guy that tweeted out the stat last night, which is almost certainly the root of where everyone is getting their information, mentioned contracted players and also that Nazon had scored while on loan.

Edited by Stu

6 hours ago, AW saint said:

I hope Robinson keeps Grieve very much in the team etc. He should be developed as he looks a great prospect

I’ve said it since his sub appearance in the cup tie at Ayr that Greive is very much the dynamic type of striker we’ve been missing. Curtis Main should never at any time start before him. 

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Excluding loan players is a bit of a cop out along the lines of "oops I forgot about that guy and now I'm covering my tracks".

11 hours ago, Stu said:

In fairness, the guy that tweeted out the stat last night, which is almost certainly the root of where everyone is getting their information, mentioned contracted players and also that Nazon had scored while on loan.

I hold my hands up here, I never saw the original tweet, only what has been mentioned in here. No surprise the original source also mentioned Nazon as it's the first player I thought of.

13 hours ago, Stu said:

At least Nazon was scoring for somebody whilst on loan with us, amirite?

Actually I quite liked the big mad b*****d. I still haven't recovered from Beaton's overall performance, including the red card, in that playoff.

Bit worried Grieve may be injured. He got 45 minutes the other night and scored twice before not resurfacing for the 2nd half whilst on a hat-trick then didn't even make the bench for their next game against Fiji yesterday.