The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, Soctty said:

And on the point of us being a "one man team", it's very possible that was an attempt at motivating players, which it appears backfired spectacularly...

That's almost certainly true, but my preferred technique would be telling them they weren't a one-man team, that Cammy Smith was PotY, that we can still worry teams going forward without him.

It was probably a throwaway remark that might - might - have been ok if they actually liked the guy to begin with.

Interesting to see St Mirren getting the same jibes aimed at them as Livi,  from so called experts slagging them about binning Stubbs so early. These guys don't have a clue about the goings on so you'd think they'd at least do some research before wading in with a smart arse comment ridiculing the club.

Luckily for us we signed most of our players back up and added a few others while we were sorting out our manager, we got stick for doing that too but it worked in our favour later on and no real damage was done with the Kenny Miller experiment. I think the only signing he made was James Brown on loan from Millwall, as a favour to an agent pal of his, and we sent him straight back after punting Miller.:lol:

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's almost certainly true, but my preferred technique would be telling them they weren't a one-man team, that Cammy Smith was PotY, that we can still worry teams going forward without him.

It was probably a throwaway remark that might - might - have been ok if they actually liked the guy to begin with.

Yep - positive motivation is always the best kind. Very few players react positively to being told they're crap. For every guy who tries to prove you wrong, there are 10 who decide you're not worth listening to.

2 hours ago, Soctty said:

Edwards and Willock. King is a winger, Jones is a centre back, Kellermann was signed by Jack, and since loaned out.

I think there is every possibility that we did try to replace Morgan. Rumours of Johnston from Celtic were strong around the time of the Killie match, when Stubbs was confident of some big signings. Things obviously didn't materialise for one reason or another, and perhaps he was waiting til later in the window when clubs had sorted their squads to get someone in, but by then the board had lost faith and he was toast...

And on the point of us being a "one man team", it's very possible that was an attempt at motivating players, which it appears backfired spectacularly...

I wonder if it might have to do with some people generally not actually liking him?

Had never heard of this reputation until the last few weeks, but people tend NOT to do favours for folk they don't like.

Edited by Bobby_F

40 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I wonder if it might have to do with some people in the generally not actually liking him?

Had never heard of this reputation until the last few weeks, but people tend NOT to do favours for folk they don't like.

Was wondering if that might be the case. A Partick fan on P&B was saying he was considered to be a bit of a smug dick by other coaches/managers up here.

What if he really doesn't have any contacts at Everton after all? Or at least none who would actually trust a promising young player with him.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Edwards and Willock. King is a winger, Jones is a centre back, Kellermann was signed by Jack, and since loaned out.

I think there is every possibility that we did try to replace Morgan. Rumours of Johnston from Celtic were strong around the time of the Killie match, when Stubbs was confident of some big signings. Things obviously didn't materialise for one reason or another, and perhaps he was waiting til later in the window when clubs had sorted their squads to get someone in, but by then the board had lost faith and he was toast...

Fair enough, forgot Kellermann was Jack. Stubbs seemed to struggle to convince people to join us, and this was alluded to on Sportsound by Darryl Broadfoot I think. 

For me there was more than Morgan to that team last year, despite him being superb. Indeed we lost against Dumbarton with Smith out, we beat Dunfermline with Morgan out!

All this one man team pish from Stubbs just goes to show him up for what he is. The back four last season of Smith Baird Davis and Eckersley were instrumental in our success last season as were McGinn Cammy Smith and Reilly’s goals. Lewis Morgan was a huge part of our success but most definitely not a one man team. 

A formidable unit with a first class manager.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

All this one man team pish from Stubbs just goes to show him up for what he is. The back four last season of Smith Baird Davis and Eckersley were instrumental in our success last season as were McGinn Cammy Smith and Reilly’s goals. Lewis Morgan was a huge part of our success but most definitely not a one man team. 

A formidable unit with a first class manager.

He could (easily) have signed Smith, and then just needed one experienced top flight centre half to replace Davis. It might not have been a perfect defence, but at least it would have had the head start of having mostly played together.

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He could (easily) have signed Smith, and then just needed one experienced top flight centre half to replace Davis. It might not have been a perfect defence, but at least it would have had the head start of having mostly played together.

TBF Smith/McGinn isn't a bad call. I think that was a solid decision- made by Jack. Knowing our luck Hearts would have started him! Lack of an experienced CB is a nightmare!

Just now, flyingscot said:

TBF Smith/McGinn isn't a bad call. I think that was a solid decision- made by Jack. Knowing our luck Hearts would have started him! Lack of an experienced CB is a nightmare!

Yeah, that wasn't a specific go at McGinn - especially as we didn't know what was happening in that area. I was just trying to show how much of the squad could have been in place. He only needed to add some quality round the edges but somehow fucked that up.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

I wonder if it might have to do with some people generally not actually liking him?

Could well be, or could be that the board didn't fully back him as they were having doubts a lot earlier than we think.

Could well be, or could be that the board didn't fully back him as they were having doubts a lot earlier than we think.
They will have known what was going on.

Supposodley he started to lose it as early as the training camp abroad. Heard a few things back then that didn't fill me with confidence.

9 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Supposodley he started to lose it as early as the training camp abroad. Heard a few things back then that didn't fill me with confidence.

Yeah, there was plenty of stuff coming out, almost from the very start.

You tend to be optimistic and hope it's just teething stuff while they all get to know each other. Were there not stories about fights at La Manga quite early on? Except I heard them couched as if it was Eck and Gary Mack being the troublemakers. :wacko:

I can well believe that he's burned bridges and created a bad atmosphere at the club but some of these exact quotes from behind the scenes are definitely in 'that happened' territory.

15 hours ago, Senator Frimpton said:

Hibs fans will tell you Stubbs is a great manager.

Falkirk fans will tell you he was regularly psychologically dominated by Peter Houston.

Peter Houston.

eta: sorry probably should have mentioned this a few weeks ago

Not really. I'm sure all Hibs fans would say that he is a club legend but that's not the same as saying he's a great manager. 

For what he lacked in tactical nous, he made up for with a brilliant recruitment record and by instilling a really good team spirit with us. He doesn't seem to have replicated that anywhere else, quite the opposite in fact. Must've been a right place, right time scenario with us.

I don’t think I would be using a management company where ‘you’re shite’ and ‘find a new job’ are used as motivational techniques.

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Was wondering if that might be the case. A Partick fan on P&B was saying he was considered to be a bit of a smug dick by other coaches/managers up here.

What if he really doesn't have any contacts at Everton after all? Or at least none who would actually trust a promising young player with him.

He apparently said the same at the Rotherham interview and didn’t get any Everton players there either.

The thing is even if he could, the physical aspect of Scottish football means these lads struggle anyway. In development football results are not that important and players tend to be less likely to go through you in a tackle, contrast that to our situation where every point is important and most sides are very physical.

He might have got away with one or two like that but to make that his signing policy was mental.

11 hours ago, Johnny van Axeldongen said:

Here his is – the next St. Mirren manager!

They could do a lot worse I reckon Johnny!

6 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I can well believe that he's burned bridges and created a bad atmosphere at the club but some of these exact quotes from behind the scenes are definitely in 'that happened' territory.

Not really. I'm sure all Hibs fans would say that he is a club legend but that's not the same as saying he's a great manager. 

For what he lacked in tactical nous, he made up for with a brilliant recruitment record and by instilling a really good team spirit with us. He doesn't seem to have replicated that anywhere else, quite the opposite in fact. Must've been a right place, right time scenario with us.

Point taken, and I must admit he built a team of ballers at yous.

Fact remains he seemed to lose his shit in the face of Housties intellectual :lol: superiority.

Love Houstie but I've seen sharper marbles