The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

I wonder if this little scare has put the mockers on any signings coming in.

Not that I'm saying we won't bring players in, just wondered if this affected any deals that were being done.

It has almost certainly delayed proceedings. There was very little movement within the club from Wednesday onwards. 

I still expect a bit of movement next week though. I don't think it will affect deals as such outwith delaying slightly as it is one of those things that can hit without warning, all clubs are equally at risk, it just so happens we have an unlucky member of staff with it and a confirmed case of poor test results. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, djchapsticks said:

It has almost certainly delayed proceedings. There was very little movement within the club from Wednesday onwards. 

I still expect a bit of movement next week though. I don't think it will affect deals as such outwith delaying slightly as it is one of those things that can hit without warning. 

I guess most people have an eye on that LB (or RB) role. I'd feel a lot more comfortable coming up against Livi with one in place. That said I'd feel even more comfortable if Dykes was snatched away from them.

43 minutes ago, Ric said:

I guess most people have an eye on that LB (or RB) role. I'd feel a lot more comfortable coming up against Livi with one in place. That said I'd feel even more comfortable if Dykes was snatched away from them.

Goodwin is a smart cookie a left back will forthcoming take a chill pill Ric. 

32 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Being a Saints fan I'm all over the press never read this. But hey hoo  covid19 does strange things. 

Right....

Well it was reported. It was also spoken about at length on this thread. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I can't see them holding onto Dykes by the time the window closes, without him I can see them struggle even allowing for replacement(s), given the style they play is so heavily built around him.

The vultures are starting to circle already with Barnsleys offer. The rumoured £2m Livi want aint a lot to teams down there even in the current climate.

Edited by C4mmy31

9 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Goodwin is a smart cookie a left back will forthcoming take a chill pill Ric. 

I don't doubt we will bring players in, but with the club shutting down for a couple of days there is a chance that might have put the mockers on it happening before Saturday.

8 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

I can't see them holding onto Dykes by the time the window closes, without him I can see them struggle even allowing for replacement(s), given the style they play is so heavily built around him.

The vultures are starting to circle already with Barnsleys offer. The rumoured £2m Livi want aint a lot to teams down there even in the current climate.

It's a fair shout and if he plays the way he did last season, I'd be very surprised if he's still with them come the end of the winter transfer window. Will he go in this one? Could do, as you say the first shots have been fired. It would be nice if someone picked him up before the weekend though.

I'd maybe hold off suggesting that would be the death knell for them, the same could have been said for the farmers or Hamilton who no matter how many times they are tagged for relegation, they refuse to go down.

10 hours ago, Ric said:

I hear Gus is pulling his boots on as we speak!

My question was more about players being put off coming to the club if there are risks. Obviously there _are_ risks, but I'm guessing we hit the headlines recently.

Yeah.

As DJC says, if there were any deals pending, all the uncertainty generated, would most likely have stalled any deals.

I have the fear about starting the season with makeshift RB/LB positions.

There's also the likelihood that Shaughnessy is lacking in match fitness.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Yeah.

As DJC says, if there were any deals pending, all the uncertainty generated, would most likely have stalled any deals.

I have the fear about starting the season with makeshift RB/LB positions.

There's also the likelihood that Shaughnessy is lacking in match fitness.

I think match fitness is a problem across the squad, that said we should be in a similar boat to many other teams due to the pre-season being such a mess.

I'm not sure if the friendly we had planned against the farmers went ahead, I've had a quick look and can't see anyone reporting on it so maybe it didn't. Not sure if Goodwin would want to (or even is able to) arrange a friendly before the weekend.

I just don't know what the defensive line up will be for Livi, or at least what the 4th person in there will be, as I'm assuming we go with McCarthy, Shaughnessy and Tait. Who knows maybe the lad from Norwich will be announced some time midweek, if that is either 'a thing' or 'still a thing' again I just don't know.

The problem with the Livi game is that we have two OF clubs next up. If we don't take anything from the first game I can see us going to Hamilton on the 15th sitting bottom of the league. Even if we do take anything from Livi we could still be in that position as I'm guessing both OF teams will be desperate not to fall at an early hurdle and will be looking to rack up a healthy GD to boot.

It's not all doom and gloom of course, just feel we could be in for a bit of a bumpy first month or so.

Edited by Ric

20 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think match fitness is a problem across the squad, that said we should be in a similar boat to many other teams due to the pre-season being such a mess.

I'm not sure if the friendly we had planned against the farmers went ahead, I've had a quick look and can't see anyone reporting on it so maybe it didn't. Not sure if Goodwin would want to (or even is able to) arrange a friendly before the weekend.

I just don't know what the defensive line up will be for Livi, or at least what the 4th person in there will be, as I'm assuming we go with McCarthy, Shaughnessy and Tait. Who knows maybe the lad from Norwich will be announced some time midweek, if that is either 'a thing' or 'still a thing' again I just don't know.

The problem with the Livi game is that we have two OF clubs next up. If we don't take anything from the first game I can see us going to Hamilton on the 15th sitting bottom of the league. Even if we do take anything from Livi we could still be in that position as I'm guessing both OF teams will be desperate not to fall at an early hurdle and will be looking to rack up a healthy GD to boot.

It's not all doom and gloom of course, just feel we could be in for a bit of a bumpy first month or so.

Match against The Fakes was cancelled.

You would expect the three you've mentioned to be first picks, plus A.N.Other either at LB or RB. Hopefully the former.

Up front and in midfield we're fine just now IMO. Although we will need to add another forward at some point. Sooner rather than later, would be better.

I think we're all have similar concerns, and until we make the necessary signings, we'll probably keep expressing those concerns.

In all honesty i don't see where the first point is coming from never mind first win dont know if its the whole virus situation but I've never been so underwhelmed for the start of a season before hope I'm wrong.

22 minutes ago, FTOF said:

You would expect the three you've mentioned to be first picks, plus A.N.Other either at LB or RB. Hopefully the former.

Up front and in midfield we're fine just now IMO. Although we will need to add another forward at some point. Sooner rather than later, would be better.

Yeah, will be interesting to see what that first teamsheet looks like. I'm with you in the sense that we have enough elsewhere in the squad to put out a side to face Livi.

4 minutes ago, elvis said:

... hope I'm wrong.

Oh, come now Elvis, you fucking revel in misery! ;)

Oh, come now Elvis, you fucking revel in misery! [emoji6]

No I don't actually but if you can tell me one thing to be upbeat about with our team right now with a week to go. I tell you what if livingston don't beat us by at least a couple of goals next week I will 100 % stop posting on here and BWA.

1 minute ago, elvis said:
13 minutes ago, Ric said:
Oh, come now Elvis, you fucking revel in misery! emoji6.png

No I don't actually but if you can tell me one thing to be upbeat about with our team right now with a week to go. I tell you what if livingston don't beat us by at least a couple of goals next week I will 100 % stop posting on here and BWA.

One thing? Sure, Goodwin is in charge and while the results haven't always gone in our favour it's clear that he is continuing to get more and more out of the team. A team, that despite shedding a lot of players still has a good core from McCarthy in defence to Foley in mid and Obika up front.

As for whether you post here or anywhere else, that's up to you. I'm not a blinkered happy clapper, but overall I don't feel that our lot is in any way worse than it was last year when Goodwin had been in the job just a month, had no idea of the squad and hadn't had a whole season to plan for the upcoming one.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

One thing? Sure, Goodwin is in charge and while the results haven't always gone in our favour it's clear that he is continuing to get more and more out of the team. A team, that despite shedding a lot of players still has a good core from McCarthy in defence to Foley in mid and Obika up front.

As for whether you post here or anywhere else, that's up to you. I'm not a blinkered happy clapper, but overall I don't feel that our lot is in any way worse than it was last year when Goodwin had been in the job just a month, had no idea of the squad and hadn't had a whole season to plan for the upcoming one.

I agree.

We'll be much better prepared, given the time that Goodwin has spent with the majority of the squad.

If you look at last year's first game v Hibs on 3rd of August, I'd argue that our line up on Saturday will be stronger and, as I mentioned, much better prepared. Last season, Foley was only signed on the 1st of August, Obika on the 2nd and Durmus on the 30th of July! 

Hladky

MacPherson MacKenzie McLoughlin P.McGinn

Flynn Andreu Magennis Foley Durmus

Mullen

Subs

Obika, Baird, Breadner, Erhahon, McAllister, Djorkaeff, Lyness

40 minutes ago, elvis said:

In all honesty i don't see where the first point is coming from never mind first win dont know if its the whole virus situation but I've never been so underwhelmed for the start of a season before hope I'm wrong.

You've not been so underwhelmed for the start of a season since the start of last season when you predicted we would be 12th. There was no virus then and you were a doom and gloom merchant then too. 

No offence mate but we could sign a squad of world beaters and you'd still be here pishing your knickers that the world is going to collapse upon us. You pick us to get beat every single week without fail and have been doing so for about 10 years which is why almost every St. Mirren fan on here and on BAWA laughs at your moping predictions.

You're of course entitled to your opinion and to continue moping about like fucking Eeyore on valium but if supporting my team caused me as much misery and angst as it clearly does to you, I'd have chucked it a long time ago for the sake of my health. 

Funnily enough, when we're winning and doing well, you always seem to go awfully quiet. It's almost as if you derive no real joy from us doing well and are only are truly at ease when in a crisis. 

You're Elvis if Elvis was emo. 

Adam Devine Hbo GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

You've not been so underwhelmed for the start of a season since the start of last season when you predicted we would be 12th. There was no virus then and you were a doom and gloom merchant then too. 
No offence mate but we could sign a squad of world beaters and you'd still be here pishing your knickers that the world is going to collapse upon us. You pick us to get beat every single week without fail and have been doing so for about 10 years which is why almost every St. Mirren fan on here and on BAWA laughs at your moping predictions.
You're of course entitled to your opinion and to continue moping about like fucking Eeyore on valium but if supporting my team caused me as much misery and angst as it clearly does to you, I'd have chucked it a long time ago for the sake of my health. 
Funnily enough, when we're winning and doing well, you always seem to go awfully quiet. It's almost as if you derive no real joy from us doing well and are only are truly at ease when in a crisis. 
You're Elvis if Elvis was emo. 
200.gif&key=a02fd684e7277a155de7825fd72906b7abe271b211a3dbb10fa3d7c00451593b
Doing well. struggling season after season while teams our size or even smaller out perform us. Yes whatever rocks your boat

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Match against The Fakes was cancelled.

There was a mention at our end that they hoped to rearrange it for during the week, but never heard anything about that as confirmed yet.

Haha love your consistency [emoji1316]