IV - The Glorious Hamilton Accies 2017/2018 Forum

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Van Der Weg is ok as long as him and Skondras bury the hatchet.

Have we finally exhausted the Greek market and looking at the Scandinavian market for the other guy?

From what I’ve seen if Kenny, that’s not likely to happen. Absolutely terrifying presence on multiple levels. Ultimate cult hero.

In all honesty, he’s not very good, but he’s about the strongest player I’ve ever seen. Complete loonball on the pitch, but apparently a nice lad off it. Don’t ever spill his pint though.

To put it another slightly more serious way, he’s no better than Sean Kelly and markedly worse than an out of position Marcus Fraser.

I’d probably have kept him, but I’m pretty surprised he’s found another club at this level.

Canning loves a street fighter.

VDW has a good cross when he gets the chance to dig one out, and he's a big strong lad with a lot of determination.

However, he's got slow feet, gets caught on the wrong side way too often for a full-back who isn't particularly adventurous, he sometimes goes AWOL at set-pieces and Motherwell love playing against him. 

7 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Canning loves a street fighter.

VDW has a good cross when he gets the chance to dig one out, and he's a big strong lad with a lot of determination.

However, he's got slow feet, gets caught on the wrong side way too often for a full-back who isn't particularly adventurous, he sometimes goes AWOL at set-pieces and Motherwell love playing against him. 

Great, another defender who is hopeless at set pieces!

24 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

He's more of a cult icon than a good footballer.
Strong, great work-rate, and great to to have if you need someone put back in their box (Leigh Griffiths) or a youngster who needs backed up on the pitch (Keillor-Dunn).

Limited pace and can get caught out of position, so if the opposition has a pacey winger who can play on the right he will likely be targeted.
If your team is compact though, and there's protection on left midfield (something we badly lacked), he can do a job.

He filled in on the left of a back 3 for us a few times last season and I thought he did alright; few naive moments when he first played there, and he's not great in the air, but he did a job.

Basically, he's a limited footballer but fans tend to love him.

From memory, his bird is amazing.

Does he tend to get played on the left side then? Is he left footed? 
With Daz limping, we need a bit of a mentalist in the middle to get stuck into teams. I've seen Van Der Weg several times and thought he looked decent, his physicality helps in a lot of aerial positions too, considering how honking we are at defending crosses he might save us a few. 

No idea about the other lad. 

10 minutes ago, JudgeFlash said:

With Daz limping, we need a bit of a mentalist in the middle to get stuck into teams. I've seen Van Der Weg several times and thought he looked decent, his physicality helps in a lot of aerial positions too, considering how honking we are at defending crosses he might save us a few. 

Done some digging on Ross Jenkins, injury/match fitness seems to have been an ongoing problem throughout his career as a Centre Mid. Since 2012 he's only played 53 competitive games and scored only 5 goals since 2008. 

9 minutes ago, JudgeFlash said:

Very much left-sided. 
Not bad on the ball for our level, as BB says he can dig out a good cross, and I always thought his link-up play was alright. 
His issues with positioning and pace mean he's not great at wingback though.

Not sure what he'd be like in the middle, dont think we ever tried him there, though I think his positioning wouldn't do him any favours (and his pace wouldn't be able to cover for that). 

You can see the theme.

Very much left-sided. 
Not bad on the ball for our level, as BB says he can dig out a good cross, and I always thought his link-up play was alright. 
His issues with positioning and pace mean he's not great at wingback though.
Not sure what he'd be like in the middle, dont think we ever tried him there, though I think his positioning wouldn't do him any favours (and his pace wouldn't be able to cover for that). 
You can see the theme.

Has to be better than Scott McMann.

Thought his reasons for seeking a termination of his contract was too return to Holland, It looks like Canzo's survival plan consists of recruiting as many brutes as possible.

We couldn't have a larger polar difference between our last two managers, one who believed and trusted his players to play the game in an attractive manner. The other who it looks like has no trust in his players ability and is pinning his hopes on his players physicality.

Archived