Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very embarrassing for all concerned. I'm on the fence with this. Obviously a bit of a farce for Celtic fans who live in Belfast and wish to attend.
However safety has to be paramount. I'm guessing the club are also concerned about the potential UEFA rap sheet if trouble erupts.

UEFA's own Safety and Security regulations Article 24 section 1 states;
"When security reasons render it inadvisable for supports to travel to an away match, the match organiser and participating associations or clubs must do everything possible to prevent supporters from traveling."

If La Fiorita fail to beat them I'm sure the Linfield supporters will be welcome to visit Celtic Park and do whatever redecoration work they fancy on the loos. I can only hope that the resulting bill wipes out any profit they gain from the first leg. Hoping they go bust like their mates would be probably be a bit too optimistic. 

2 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

Very embarrassing for all concerned. I'm on the fence with this. Obviously a bit of a farce for Celtic fans who live in Belfast and wish to attend.
However safety has to be paramount. I'm guessing the club are also concerned about the potential UEFA rap sheet if trouble erupts.

UEFA's own Safety and Security regulations Article 24 section 1 states;
"When security reasons render it inadvisable for supports to travel to an away match, the match organiser and participating associations or clubs must do everything possible to prevent supporters from traveling."

Wasn't much of an issue for our board having our support travel to Istanbul for the Fenerbahce game when there were bombs going off left right and centre, or to about 10 miles from the Gaza Strip for the HBS game last season though. 

It's a shitebag decision from the club all designed to protect the reputation of the club in case anything does happen. Got nothing to do with fan safety.

EARLIER this week, Celtic were drawn against Linfield or La Fiorita of San Marino to open our UEFA Champions League qualifying campaign, with the away leg due to be played first, on 11 or 12 July, and the home leg to be played at Celtic Park on 18 or 19 July.
Following security concerns raised by the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), Celtic has taken part in discussions with Linfield and the PSNI over recent days. While there can be an option to reverse the fixtures if both clubs agree, during discussions, Linfield made it clear that they did not wish to reverse the tie and they wanted play their home leg first. 
In addition, as is often the case in football, Celtic’s football management team wished to play our away leg first so that we could benefit from the advantage of playing the second leg at home in front of our supporters at Celtic Park for this crucial European tie.
Following the discussions, it was agreed among the clubs and PSNI and has now been confirmed with UEFA that, should Linfield progress to the Second Qualifying Round, Celtic’s UEFA Champions League match against Linfield will take place at Windsor Park on Friday, July 14, with a 5pm kick-off.
No tickets will be available for Celtic supporters for the match. The safety and security of all Celtic supporters travelling and attending matches is of paramount importance to the Club. 
Should La Fiorita of San Marino qualify for the next round, the first leg match would take place on 11 or 12 July.
Regardless of opposition, Celtic’s home leg of this qualifying round will take place at Celtic Park on Wednesday, July 19, 2017, and entry to this first home European qualifier will once again be included as part of the 2017/18 Season Ticket.
If the tie against Linfield proceeds, it will not affect the friendly match between Celtic and Lyon at Celtic Park on 15 July – more information on this match will follow as soon as possible.

Sounds like a big circle jerk between us, the boabies and Linfield.

Shame for the guys who follow them all over Europe,could they not just have given the tickets to N Irish Celtic supporters clubs,they shouldn't give that lot an allocation either for the Celtic park game for the same reasons as they will only be out looking for bother 

Seems OTT - and won't it risk diehard Celtic fans trying to get home tickets? Matches with away fans go ahead in circumstances with more "real" danger.

As regards the date - I bet Lyon weren't expecting to play Celtic U20s when they agreed this friendly :lol:.

17 hours ago, The OP said:

Not surprised it was entirely their fault.

Nobody said it was, and the repercussions shouldn't have happened, but I find it extremely hard to have sympathy with ring-wing numbskulls who start a fight and then get a taste of their own later on that day. I was in the pub and saw exactly what happened.

You linked it to Windsor Park, (it happened in the town centre about a mile away) and, I suspect vicariously, you were trying to link it to Linfield, but it was away from the game, similar to the Celtic v Ajax game that you refer to.

Incidentally, no tickets for Celtic, but I'm going to take this chap who posted on ILF along.

"Every support has k**b heads, just because celtic have a big support (same as Rangers) just means there are more about than irish league for example. tbh i have been embarrassed by a lot of stuff written by celtic fans in the lead up to the game and in some cases has fanned the flames and made a major issue where its not that big a problem.
if the game is the 14th July then 100% Celtic should take the allocation. My brother has 2 season tickets and goes to a lot of away games but will be on holiday over that week so was looking forward to hopefully getting a ticket. il be gutted if i can't see celtic play a CL game in my own city not 10 min drive from my house because people want to wet their pants over what 'might' happen.
I also take a massive issue with people who think every Celtic/ Rangers/ Linfield fan is a Secterian Bigot, maybe just maybe people are football fans, I've a lot of Rangers and Linfield supporting friends and i take offence when people call them bigots etc etc, i don't think any side is worse than the other and i personally can't stand the petty point scoring.

anyway, hopefully Celtic take the tickets, i can get one and go enjoy the game go for a few pints then go home to the family and hopefully all Linfield fans the same, lets get away from the nonsense and get back to the football"

2 hours ago, The OP said:

If La Fiorita fail to beat them I'm sure the Linfield supporters will be welcome to visit Celtic Park and do whatever redecoration work they fancy on the loos. I can only hope that the resulting bill wipes out any profit they gain from the first leg. Hoping they go bust like their mates would be probably be a bit too optimistic.

Your bitterness really is eating away at you.

Breeeeeathe.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Seems OTT - and won't it risk diehard Celtic fans trying to get home tickets? Matches with away fans go ahead in circumstances with more "real" danger.

As regards the date - I bet Lyon weren't expecting to play Celtic U20s when they agreed this friendly :lol:.

There was certainly Celtic fans in the home end at Ibrox the day they were supposed to be banned from attending.

2 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

"Every support has k**b heads, just because celtic have a big support (same as Rangers) just means there are more about than irish league for example. tbh i have been embarrassed by a lot of stuff written by celtic fans in the lead up to the game and in some cases has fanned the flames and made a major issue where its not that big a problem.
if the game is the 14th July then 100% Celtic should take the allocation. My brother has 2 season tickets and goes to a lot of away games but will be on holiday over that week so was looking forward to hopefully getting a ticket. il be gutted if i can't see celtic play a CL game in my own city not 10 min drive from my house because people want to wet their pants over what 'might' happen.
I also take a massive issue with people who think every Celtic/ Rangers/ Linfield fan is a Secterian Bigot, maybe just maybe people are football fans, I've a lot of Rangers and Linfield supporting friends and i take offence when people call them bigots etc etc, i don't think any side is worse than the other and i personally can't stand the petty point scoring.

anyway, hopefully Celtic take the tickets, i can get one and go enjoy the game go for a few pints then go home to the family and hopefully all Linfield fans the same, lets get away from the nonsense and get back to the football"

Very refreshing post/quote.  Hope you and the bloke have a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

The Linfield section of ILF would suggest that quite a few Linfield fans are going to take local Shellick fans along with them, and I hope everyone has a great, trouble free evening.

Meanwhile the OP will be dreaming of marauding Orangemen everywhere.

Embarrassing stuff from Celtic, really.

It will be an interesting tie (assuming Linfield beat the team from San Marino), Celtic will likely win but not by so much; the top Irish league sides are of better quality than they are given credit for.

Archived