Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My kids are raging about this for some reason. Getting quizzed as to why I didn't either a) keep the Duster or b) buy a new Duster. 

They’re eyeing the inheritance.

20 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Even better. A Vauxhall Crossland.

19 hours ago, RH33 said:

Know couple people with them and they've had no end of trouble.

I got a Grandland back in November, then had a few folk tell me horror stories about them after the fact. I know feck all about cars but it appears the main issue with these models is around them having a 'wet timing belt' set up that can be a bit dodgy and wreck the engine if it goes. Hopefully just a matter of keeping an eye on it for any deterioration and acting quickly in getting it replaced.

No complaints with it so far, pretty comfortable drive and surprisingly economical on fuel. Happy driving @scottsdad

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My kids are raging about this for some reason. Getting quizzed as to why I didn't either a) keep the Duster or b) buy a new Duster. 

It looks like an OAP mobility car. There are much more teenager pleasing SUV's out there.

Cancel the deal before you regret trading in the Duster.

(Which I ruled out as I think the older ones look awful but in fairness newer ones better)

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

I got a Grandland back in November, then had a few folk tell me horror stories about them after the fact. I know feck all about cars but it appears the main issue with these models is around them having a 'wet timing belt' set up that can be a bit dodgy and wreck the engine if it goes. Hopefully just a matter of keeping an eye on it for any deterioration and acting quickly in getting it replaced.

No complaints with it so far, pretty comfortable drive and surprisingly economical on fuel. Happy driving @scottsdad

The wet timing belt is what is in my 308 - Just had it replaced, full system flushed out, new strainer fitted as the old one was full of bits of perished belt.

£850

awful design tbh, all to save a couple of % at most on fuel economy - from what I understand some models of Transit van also have it and it's costing even more to get them done.

3 minutes ago, Peil said:

The wet timing belt is what is in my 308 - Just had it replaced, full system flushed out, new strainer fitted as the old one was full of bits of perished belt.

£850

awful design tbh, all to save a couple of % at most on fuel economy - from what I understand some models of Transit van also have it and it's costing even more to get them done.

Ooft. I know its far from the only factor, but after roughly how many miles was this? Just trying to gauge how long I might get before mine needs done. Roughly around 30k just now so hopefully a wee while yet.

Ooft. I know its far from the only factor, but after roughly how many miles was this? Just trying to gauge how long I might get before mine needs done. Roughly around 30k just now so hopefully a wee while yet.

65k on mine.
Peugeot originally warrantied them at 100k, but seemingly in 2021 they cut it back to 40k!

They got a new supplier now, which seems to have helped, but the earlier models like mine had some real bother with belts breaking up, blocking the oil channels and causing pressure loss.

The sump strainer on mine before
image.png.42921f2cc27f87296ad919b2b53df434.png
new one after
image.png.25b2885eaf0fc59b1e0eb968467a7b4d.png

10 minutes ago, Peil said:

65k on mine.
Peugeot originally warrantied them at 100k, but seemingly in 2021 they cut it back to 40k!

They got a new supplier now, which seems to have helped, but the earlier models like mine had some real bother with belts breaking up, blocking the oil channels and causing pressure loss.

The sump strainer on mine before
image.png.42921f2cc27f87296ad919b2b53df434.png
new one after
image.png.25b2885eaf0fc59b1e0eb968467a7b4d.png

Was thinking around the 60k mark. I'm only a 8,000 miles a year kinda guy so hopefully a couple of years down the line if it doesn't just start to perish with age etc. I use a local guy who is very reasonable for all my servicing and mot so will just get him to keep an eye on it and check it regularly. Looks like it made some mess in that first pic. 

On 23/04/2024 at 19:54, scottsdad said:

Even better. A Vauxhall Crossland.

Good luck drove one for one day as a hire car, vile thing to drive. Basically an astra on stilts you would be much better off with an astra estate.

Crossland should also get them done under trade description act, thing was unstable on road nevermind off-road.

Edited by 101

On 23/04/2024 at 20:04, RH33 said:

Know couple people with them and they've had no end of trouble.

24 minutes ago, 101 said:

Good luck drove one for one day as a hire car, vile thing to drive. Basically an astra on stilts you would be much better off with an astra estate.

Crossland should also get them done under trade description act, thing was unstable on road nevermind off-road.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

The Ford ecoblue in Transits is the infamous example of how sh***y these wet belt setups can be. Oil change interval can be an element in the life of wet belts, especially if you follow the manufacturers 10,000 mile oil change interval suggestion, it’s likely you will have the belt failing sooner. Have the mechanic changing the oil next asked to keep an eye on the draining oil for any sign of belt debris perhaps? It’s not efficient, but you might get a little warning if he sees some clumps in the oil. On the other hand, by the time you see those, the oil pickups are likely clogging.

Was thinking around the 60k mark. I'm only a 8,000 miles a year kinda guy so hopefully a couple of years down the line if it doesn't just start to perish with age etc. I use a local guy who is very reasonable for all my servicing and mot so will just get him to keep an eye on it and check it regularly. Looks like it made some mess in that first pic. 

Hopefully you’re changing oil at least once a year anyway, even at only 8k miles, so that might have helped.

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Sorry to hark back here but f**k me.

Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Supper.

Fucking reprobates. 

You forgot Brunch, Linner, Dunch and Dinper…not to mention Second Breakfast!

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I can't believe you have 4 meals a day.

I don't have supper TBF, I'm a fat c**t cos the other are massive and the other shite I eat.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

I drive a lot of hire cars at work and hands down the absolute worst of the lot has been the Crossland * . For some reason as well last year enterprise seemed to only ever send us Crosslands ,heart would sink every time you saw them lined up in the car park, must have had a massive surplus of them . Horrible interior , car feels like it's going to topple over at every turn , terrible UI , absolutely uninspiring from every angle. The Grandland x  is almost bearable to drive for a while , definitely not been Vauxhall's best range which is a shame as some of their Astra's have been cracking fun to drive and the Insignia is a bit of hidden gem as well.  

* Not the actual worst , that has to go to the Duster which I realise bookends this thread pretty well . Only ever had to drive one from Perth to Motherwell and it was easily the worst car journey I've ever had . Nasty interior , gearstick felt like it wasn't even attached to anything and the horrible seat/steering wheel/ handbrake layout nearly undone 2 years of chiropractic work in the space of an hour.  

I know f**k all about cars, and had never heard of a "Vauxhall Crossland" before yesterday, when I noticed a random discussion had broken out about how shite they are on an unrelated Reddit thread about something totally innocent and not perverted.

It's not looking good, is it?

Don’t still get Vauxhall Chevettes? 

My old boy bought a sky blue one of them back in day. 

Absolute bucket of shite.

This was after the 3L Triumph Dolomite, absolute beast of a motor but before the embarrassment of the Renault 6.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey