Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

"Would you like some tea?"

"Yes please, I am parched. "

"Here is some Spaghetti Bolognese and garlic bread"

I'm sorry.. where is the downside in this conversation?

You either get a cup of tea or a succulent Italian dish. 

You're really proving our point here, I am starting to see why the Prof is forever coming up Milhouse, tbqphwy.

Why would you drink a hot drink with (probably) milk in it if you were thirsty?

That'll be an English thing (and perhaps Welsh) as the rest of us have perfectly drinkable tap water.

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Where do you stand on the 'luncheon' chat? 

And, while I'm at it - surely tea is just an abbreviation for afternoon tea which is taken at...? 

Luncheon is for the aristocracy. 

The dinner thing is a strange one. "dinner time", "school dinner", "dinner lady" all commonly used terms in school in the west of Scotland to refer to lunch. Despite that I would NEVER use lunch and dinner interchangeably, dinner means your evening meal and only your evening meal

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner/tea

Edited by Jives Miguel

8 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

The dinner thing is a strange one. "dinner time", "school dinner", "dinner lady" all commonly used terms in school in the west of Scotland to refer to lunch. Despite that I would NEVER use lunch and dinner interchangeably, dinner means your evening meal and only your evening meal

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner/tea

Lights fuse, runs away.... 

Woken up this morning (I work nights) by the open reach guy banging the door, we are changing provider.

He had spoken to my wife who thought it best that he wakes me up incase he needs to drill the wall which might wake me up and confused me! As it turns out I was back asleep in seconds and the kids say he did drill the wall but I slept through it!

On 11/04/2024 at 06:17, hk blues said:

Where do you stand on the 'luncheon' chat? 

And, while I'm at it - surely tea is just an abbreviation for afternoon tea which is taken at...? 

Afternoon tea is taken around three and is a pot of tea with light savoury snacks and cake.

high tea around 4.30 to five, usually a lighter meal which can be combined with a later supper to substitute for the more urbane dinner, taken around 6.30 to 7.30. (“Dinner” is often used as a synonym for lunch. This used to be the preserve of the lower orders but standards have dropped and it’s entered common usage in polite society.)

I feel like elevenses and brunch have been sadly underrepresented in this pointless debate. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Afternoon tea is taken around three and is a pot of tea with light savoury snacks and cake.

high tea around 4.30 to five, usually a lighter meal which can be combined with a later supper to substitute for the more urbane dinner, taken around 6.30 to 7.30. (“Dinner” is often used as a synonym for lunch. This used to be the preserve of the lower orders but standards have dropped and it’s entered common usage in polite society.)

I feel like elevenses and brunch have been sadly underrepresented in this pointless debate. 

Whether it's high tea or afternoon tea (originally afternoon tea was taken around 4pm b.t.w.) the point stands - tea is a short form for afternoon/high tea so perfectly reasonable to take it around 4:30pm or 5pm.

Elevenses and brunch - there's a can of worms being opened right there.

24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Whether it's high tea or afternoon tea (originally afternoon tea was taken around 4pm b.t.w.) the point stands - tea is a short form for afternoon/high tea so perfectly reasonable to take it around 4:30pm or 5pm.

Elevenses and brunch - there's a can of worms being opened right there.

Ok, I've largely stayed out of this, but it has gone on far too long.

You have all left me no alternative.... I'm lobbing in the "what about tiffin?" grenade and running away!!

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

You have all left me no alternative.... I'm lobbing in the "what about tiffin?" grenade and running away!!

Cadbury's tiffin is magic

18 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

SidJames4-1.webp.799e33a89ff3567f8910e619bd1e132c.webp

If I'm working night shifts and sleep all day, what's the meal I eat before leaving for work?

I refer to my midnight meal as "lunch", if that helps.

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

If I'm working night shifts and sleep all day, what's the meal I eat before leaving for work?

I refer to my midnight meal as "lunch", if that helps.

That's a tricky one, but I'm going to have to go with...

Chips

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's a tricky one, but I'm going to have to go with...

Chips

Never. Always protein before a long night putting spindles in boxes!