The DUP

Blootoon87

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40871519

I heard one of the locals getting interviewed on Radio Ulster. She was outraged that this happened at 9.30 pm when children were out playing. "It shouldn't happen at that time of night". :lol: So presumably if it happened at 11.30 pm it wouldn't be so bad...

17 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

They are all fucking idiots. Both sides are an embarrassment to humanity.

That's the sensible way of looking at it, in my opinion. One group of neds (spides is the local lingo) that see building a bonfire as a fun thing to do to get it right up the other lot in an area where red, white and blue is the favoured coloured scheme is much the same in their mentality as another group of neds that do much the same sort of thing in an area where green, white and gold is preferred. People with an identity politics agenda don't see it that way though and like to link certain behaviours only to those that prefer the particular type of flag that they don't like.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's the sensible way of looking at it, in my opinion. One group of neds (spides is the local lingo) that see building a bonfire as a fun thing to do to get it right up the other lot in an area where red, white and blue is the favoured coloured scheme is much the same in their mentality as another group of neds that do much the same sort of thing in an area where green, white and gold is preferred. People with an identity politics agenda don't see it that way though and like to link certain behaviours only to those that prefer the particular type of flag that they don't like.

Must have been in the Scouts.

Expert on bonfires.

The tedious RedRob argument .
If her no wan ae us yer wan ay thaym.

Is there anywhere else where people react to every perceived slight by burning down their own area?

Aw come on that's just lazy, where/when have I ever said that!?
You've got to admit though that 'their' bonfires are a truly pathetic attempt at imitation!
The same could be said of 'their' flute bands, a motley bedraggled crew! Just parroting without a note between them!![emoji47]

Aw come on that's just lazy, where/when have I ever said that!?
You've got to admit though that 'their' bonfires are a truly pathetic attempt at imitation!
The same could be said of 'their' flute bands, a motley bedraggled crew! Just parroting without a note between them!![emoji47]

'Their' just so inferior aren't they?

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Have any flute bands ever added a few bassoons or even contrabassoons to give them a bit more range

A euphonium would kick that tribal rage into gear, they've gone soft.

A euphonium would kick that tribal rage into gear, they've gone soft.

I'd been thinking in terms of other woodwind but that might work anything to add a bit of body to the sound

Compared to mass pipes and drums, Yorkshire brass bands or Welsh male voice choirs they're really a bit shit

But at least they don't look as silly as Morris dancers

Have any flute bands ever added a few bassoons or even contrabassoons to give them a bit more range

Recall when I was a wee lad that there was a band who had a sole French Horn,seem to remember he only played it on the way back out of the field though. I think it was probably more of a novelty accompaniment, than a serious effort to enhance the range of the performance though.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I first read that as "... a bit more rage."

I was thinking that there was enough rage involved.

A slide trombone or two could lighten the tone with a saucy glissando or two

It's a bit of an investment though so maybe experiment with a Swanee whistle first

Also if the guy with the bass drum has a cymbal mounted on it then he can do the Badum-tish sound effect anytime something funny happens

On 10 August 2017 at 22:11, RedRob72 said:

Recall when I was a wee lad that there was a band who had a sole French Horn,seem to remember he only played it on the way back out of the field though. I think it was probably more of a novelty accompaniment, than a serious effort to enhance the range of the performance though.

Scottish Cricket thread for this pish.

On 10/08/2017 at 22:54, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A slide trombone or two could lighten the tone with a saucy glissando or two

It's a bit of an investment though so maybe experiment with a Swanee whistle first

Also if the guy with the bass drum has a cymbal mounted on it then he can do the Badum-tish sound effect anytime something funny happens

They've definitely got an image problem that could only be improved by a uniform rejig and a sousaphone. Voila:

sousaphone.jpg

I think the ska approach would work where halfway through they up the tempo, quick knees up and stop taking themselves too seriously. 

This is the kind of creativity that is needed

If the Orange order were to put us in charge we'd have their negative PR problems sorted in no time.

Orange is, after all, a funny silly good time colour. This shouldn't be as hard a sell as they're making it.

71f903ae5dae1c3ebcf2e59641d9360c.jpg