The DUP

Blootoon87

I suspect you are more aware of what the issue might be on that than the ignorance you are feigning. You have posted quite often in this DUP thread. Are you not interested in discussing the problems that the DUP has in connecting with voters under-40 that are turned off by their social conservatism?

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/08/05/the-alienation-of-under-40s-pro-union-protestants-challenges-unionist-parties-as-well-as-alliance/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/04/northern-irish-unionist-parties-alienating-young-protestants-study

The article includes a sidebar with an interview with Davy Rea who self-describes as a unionist who believes in equality.

… over the last few years in a plethora of elections to the Stormont assembly, local councils and even Westminster, Rae has been at times reluctant to visit his local polling station.

Why? Because he is pro-union but also gay.

Rea, who works for a technology company, says he has no one to vote for among the mainstream unionist no political parties – especially those who constantly torpedo attempts to bring marriage equality to Northern Ireland.

“My sister is 17 and will soon be of voting age. She asks me all the time who can she vote for if she is pro-union but believes in treating people equally. What do I tell her?”

Davy seems to explain it better than I could.
Maybe a few years of people not killing each other has led to a generation growing up wanting more from their politicians.
Its not much different from here with the young voting predominantly for Indy/remain.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...and is also clearly an Ulster Unionist. If people are as concerned about LGBT rights in TFS as they purport to be on here they should be all over this story as it is very much the first crack in the eventual collapse of the wall blocking progress there. Hopefully she won't get booted out of the DUP for doing this.

You yourself here are pleading for her not to be booted out of her party for having a totally normal view on LGBT rights. :lol:

Just now, NotThePars said:

You yourself here are pleading for her not to be booted out of her party for having a totally normal view on LGBT rights. :lol:

Pleaded? Yes, I am sure that the DUP high heid yins are waiting with baited breath to see what is being posted about them on P&B before deciding what to do on issues like this. You do realise that I have nothing at all to do with the DUP and don't support them in any way? Probably not, unfortunately. On a more serious note, I think this basically shows that the Unionist portion of NI society is pretty much where Scotland was on these sorts of issues in about the year 2000 or so with a younger generation that had a very different idea of the way ahead than that held by certain geriatric clergymen, tabloid journalists and bible thumping bus drivers who wanted to clip Holyrood's wings where social issues were concerned immediately post-devolution. It's only a matter of time until the DUP changes its tune on these issues because that's what they will need to do to keep the electorate voting for them.

6 minutes ago, mjw said:

Why would I not be? I have posted on here a few times that I think he is an idiot and he was actually mentioned in the story I did link.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I guess having Ulster Unionist politicians failing to conform to the prevailing bible thumpers stuck in a 17th century time warp stereotype doesn't afford the opportunity to have a go at the other lot, so...

Kind of pisses on your porridge though considering you bumped the thread with this.....

Surprised that none of the usual suspects in threads like this felt a need to comment on this story from the heart of the Gerrymander:

I guess having Ulster Unionist politicians failing to conform to the prevailing bible thumpers stuck in a 17th century time warp stereotype doesn't afford the opportunity to have a go at the other lot, so...

If people are as concerned about LGBT rights in TFS as they purport to be on here they should be all over this story as it is very much the first crack in the eventual collapse of the wall blocking progress there. Hopefully she won't get booted out of the DUP for doing this.

You're more interested in taking digs at posters who might have been nasty to the DUP.

As for that crack in the wall,I'm sure Jim wells will get plenty help filling it.

5 minutes ago, mjw said:

...As for that crack in the wall,I'm sure Jim wells will get plenty help filling it.

Which is something I already alluded to earlier. Still none the wiser why my porridge is supposed to have been pissed on in some way by Jim Wells being Jim Wells because the point being highlighted is that prior to this tweet a pro-LGBT stance by a DUP MP was difficult to envisage, so this is something that people who have been highlighting the DUP's homophobia in this thread could reasonably be expected to find comment worthy if they aren't just engaged in mindless tribalism.

Reminder that Emma Little-Pengelly opposed same-sex marriage when she was an MLA, and seemingly hasn't changed her mind since. Has she been urging the DUP to change tack on LGBT issues, or denouncing her party colleagues for their hugely regressive and damaging voting records on such matters? If so, that might be worthy of praise. Until then, her 140 characters ring hollow. Baby steps, I suppose. 

In a similar sort of vein to the above, why are all the people who made a fuss about bonfires on here about a month back, not feverishly discussing what's happening in Belfast at the moment in a similar sort of manner:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40856210

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40871520

You would almost get the impression that it isn't the behaviour that people find inherently objectionable but the attitude towards the Union of the participants that are involved that drives what they see as comment worthy in a very tribalistic them and us sort of way or maybe I'm too cynical?

18 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

In a similar sort of vein to the above, why are all the people who made a fuss about bonfires on here about a month back, not feverishly discussing what's happening in Belfast at the moment in a similar sort of manner:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40856210

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40871520

You would almost get the impression that it isn't the behaviour that people find inherently objectionable but the attitude towards the Union of the participants that are involved that drives what they see as comment worthy in a very tribalistic them and us sort of way or maybe I'm too cynical?

Maybe because there don't appear to be any dummies hanging from nooses or racist cartoons as talking points?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Maybe because there don't appear to be any dummies hanging from nooses or racist cartoons as talking points?

Hard to have dummies hanging from nooses or racist cartoons on a non existent bonfire.

The tedious RedRob argument .
If her no wan ae us yer wan ay thaym.

Is there anywhere else where people react to every perceived slight by burning down their own area?