Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

As things stand, you'd only need to include the EoS/SoS sides and of those, how many are actually *in* the pyramid, as in 'can go up and want to go up'? South: Threave, St. Cuthbert, Newton all licenced (but not all willing) plus Bonnyton likely to want to. Heston have the groujd but no licence. I wonder if Wigtown will come back in next season? 

In the East: Kelty, Preston.. . a few more aspiring I think - HWU building a stand (?), Peebles enclosing, LTHV desperate to sort Saughton etc...

There does seem to generally finally be some movement towards integration though. The notable exception seems to be the Highland League which seems intent in preserving its fiefdom with very little if anything in return.

Lowland League: 16
SoS: 13 (1st teams)
EoS: 12 (1st teams)
East/West SJFA: approx 128
Total: about 170
Highland: 18
North Caley: 9
North SJFA: 34
Total: approx 60
That's without muddying the water by including SAFA clubs who could compete at the same level.

You could actually make the argument for four regions rather than three if you go along population lines for an equal spread of clubs. Maybe splitting off Lanarkshire, West Lothian and Stirlingshire as a Central Region. Then you have a bit of a buffer to move teams between regions to balance up numbers.

23 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Montrose are at present the likeliest Angus side to finish bottom of L2, although they are far stronger this year than in recent seasons. It's interesting that they would go into the Lowland league (I wonder if they could request the Highland league..?) while Montrose Roselea hopped over that boundary to play North Junior football last year and in the event of a pyramid forming involving Junior clubs, would need to move back (unless they could request dispensation to remain).

When the first SPFL promotion/relegation playoff took place in 2014/15, Montrose were going to be relegated to the Highland League. I've seen the rumour since then that they would of considered going to the Juniors instead of playing in the Highland League due to the travel. Although all the press coverage at the time said they'd have got on with it if they'd been relegated.

I don't know if the boundary has now changed, or they would be more attracted to the Lowland League and advocate to be placed there now that it has become more established.

Could the confusion lie in the co-ordinates being used, or published incorrectly? And that they have mixed up Degrees, Minutes and Seconds and Decimal degrees?

Just a thought - I will check when I get the chance.

ETA, off the top of my head the error between the two would be in the region of 16/17 miles.

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

When the first SPFL promotion/relegation playoff took place in 2014/15, Montrose were going to be relegated to the Highland League. I've seen the rumour since then that they would of considered going to the Juniors instead of playing in the Highland League due to the travel. Although all the press coverage at the time said they'd have got on with it if they'd been relegated.

I don't know if the boundary has now changed, or they would be more attracted to the Lowland League and advocate to be placed there now that it has become more established.

Aye as you say they would have ended up in the HL. For a club like Montrose the LL I think would be better as the foot print of the LL is much about the same as they play in at present (although there is no danger of them ending up anywhere near the bottom at present) with the exception of Elgin and Peterhead.

Also the majority of their players as far as I know come from south of the town although there maybe a few from Aberdeen etc as they recruited from there in the past.

10 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye as you say they would have ended up in the HL. For a club like Montrose the LL I think would be better as the foot print of the LL is much about the same as they play in at present (although there is no danger of them ending up anywhere near the bottom at present) with the exception of Elgin and Peterhead.

Also the majority of their players as far as I know come from south of the town although there maybe a few from Aberdeen etc as they recruited from there in the past.

I think the only Aberdeen-born 1st teamer currently is Redman, Dundee and Fife the rest mainly.

16 minutes ago, Black Dug said:

Could the confusion lie in the co-ordinates being used, or published incorrectly? And that they have mixed up Degrees, Minutes and Seconds and Decimal degrees?
Just a thought - I will check when I get the chance.

It can't be coincidental that the cut off is just north of Brechin (and therefore ties in with the edge of the Junior boundaries). Brechin Vics are the furthest north East side (Brechin is further north than Montrose, just).

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:
1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:
Montrose are at present the likeliest Angus side to finish bottom of L2, although they are far stronger this year than in recent seasons. It's interesting that they would go into the Lowland league (I wonder if they could request the Highland league..?) while Montrose Roselea hopped over that boundary to play North Junior football last year and in the event of a pyramid forming involving Junior clubs, would need to move back (unless they could request dispensation to remain).

Smart thing to do would be to have areas where teams either have the choice of which region they drop into, or where teams can be moved between regions to even up numbers. Angus would be a good example of one of those areas.

Aye, why have a definitive line. If there was one "big" pyramid, some lateral movement, lower down, would help accommodate teams moving up or down.

Interesting perhaps to note that in women's football, the SWFL First Division (tier 3) is split into North/South. Last season had teams from Falkirk, Stirling and Dunfermline in the North section. Obviously a lot less clubs to deal with but in their case the league's seem to be allocated based on the amount of clubs at the level and getting somewhat similarly sized divisions within the same tier.

7 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Interesting perhaps to note that in women's football, the SWFL First Division (tier 3) is split into North/South. Last season had teams from Falkirk, Stirling and Dunfermline in the North section. Obviously a lot less clubs to deal with but in their case the league's seem to be allocated based on the amount of clubs at the level and getting somewhat similarly sized divisions within the same tier.

Let's face it the SFA  regional challenge Cup has  teams a couple of miles apart in different regions?

If they don't have a clue what chance everyone else got :unsure2:

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

A separate issue is that the LL and HL are too big, some real dross at the bottom of both. 14 in each would be a good number if clubs were then put into a national non-league Scottish Cup.

The original plan in Gordon Smith's time was two divisions of 10 at the fifth tier that would be drawn from top  junior teams as well as top nonleague seniors with the junior superleagues feeding in along with the nonleague seniors and that would have worked much better from a quality standpoint, but the Highland League were bitterly opposed and could only be persuaded to get on board if their 18 team division remained intact and the attitude of the likes of Tom Johnston to losing control of their fiefdom is well documented obviously.

7 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The original plan in Gordon Smith's time was two divisions of 10 at the fifth tier that would be drawn from top  junior teams as well as top nonleague seniors with the junior superleagues feeding in along with the nonleague seniors and that would have worked much better from a quality standpoint, but the Highland League were bitterly opposed and could only be persuaded to get on board if their 18 team division remained intact and the attitude of the likes of Tom Johnston to losing control of their fiefdom is well documented obviously.

That would have been much better.

22 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

You could actually make the argument for four regions rather than three if you go along population lines for an equal spread of clubs. Maybe splitting off Lanarkshire, West Lothian and Stirlingshire as a Central Region. Then you have a bit of a buffer to move teams between regions to balance up numbers.

The Scottish womans league is like that. Tier 4 is North South, West and East. The third Tier north and South then SWPL 2 and SWPL 1

20 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Let's face it the SFA  regional challenge Cup has  teams a couple of miles apart in different regions?

If they don't have a clue what chance everyone else got :unsure2:

They actually had Shire and Stenny in different regions and they play in the same ground