Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

Reading through pages and pages of this thread and the disparaging comments towards the South League is frankly embarrassing.  

We have a league that caters for football from Gretna to Stranraer.  Yes, we may not have clubs that are of the same standard as some East Teams or Juniors, but so what? We've always been accommodating towards teams looking to get their foot in the door and offer nothing but a foundation to play football and progress.  We have 4 licensed clubs and other clubs within looking to spend time money and effort to do the same. 

Maybe some clubs aspirations aren't to get the the LL or SPFL. Maybe we know our level, but maybe there are some who might want to give it a bloody good try.  

We are at T6, and whatever the future holds for our level we will deal with it. If any team in the South want to go to the WoSL I can assure you the other clubs will support them; because that's what's we do.

Well said that man

7 hours ago, pyramidiot said:

Got to laugh at this thread sometimes!

Less than a month ago we had supporters of west juniors unhappy about the prospect as they had a great setup and now we have the same people upset that SoS would be at the same tier as EoS and a potential WoS. Why?! The argument is that the SoS isn’t as strong and they are all ‘rural pub teams’. So why is that an issue?

You are a supporter of a club like Clydebank [picked as the loudest supporter of pyramid in the west and nothing else]. To get promoted you need to beat the winner of EoS and winner of SoS in a three way play-off like the EoS play off of 18/19. Why would it bother you that one game is against a team that you consider so weak?! That’s sure a bonus! It means you have to win your league and win a one off game plus a game against a team you already labelled ‘a pub team’.

The same goes for the perceived strength of the highland league and it being on par with this all encompassing south of the Tay LL. As long as the winners of the LL and HFL are relatively competitive for the opportunity to then be competitive against club 42 then the pyramid works!

Agreed.

The play-off system  is a very fair way of promoting the strongest  champion club from the EoSL and the SoSL. It will also include the champions of the WoSL, once established, and ambitious ex-Junior clubs have applied for, and been awarded an SFA licence.

The point here is that there is no need to take an axe to the SoSL. Its clubs are unlikely to defeat the other champion clubs very often, but "never say never", as football is occasionally very unpredictable. Who would have said 20 years ago that little/remote Brora Rangers, would be knocking on the door of the SPFL now ? Money brings success, whoever and wherever you are.

Sometimes I wonder whether there is some sustained bias on P&B, against small clubs, and/or a particular disregard for the very diverse geography of Scotland. If so, wake up (please) as the South of Scotland League, isn't about to disappear, nor merge with the proposed WoSL. 

4 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

Reading through pages and pages of this thread and the disparaging comments towards the South League is frankly embarrassing.  

We have a league that caters for football from Gretna to Stranraer.  Yes, we may not have clubs that are of the same standard as some East Teams or Juniors, but so what? We've always been accommodating towards teams looking to get their foot in the door and offer nothing but a foundation to play football and progress.  We have 4 licensed clubs and other clubs within looking to spend time money and effort to do the same. 

Maybe some clubs aspirations aren't to get the the LL or SPFL. Maybe we know our level, but maybe there are some who might want to give it a bloody good try.  

We are at T6, and whatever the future holds for our level we will deal with it. If any team in the South want to go to the WoSL I can assure you the other clubs will support them; because that's what's we do.

Yup.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Great post.

I've been to a lot of SOS grounds in the last couple of years and ok, there are one or two that are just 3G cages with no cover, which isn't a great experience. But for the most part they're proper community clubs, grafting hard to give their town a football club, taking obvious pride in the ground and the team.

IMO the standard is better than the bottom end of the ER Juniors, in which I watched a Coupar Angus team play the worst football I've ever seen at senior or junior level. It's better than the North Caledonian League, which could easily be a Tier 6 league soon too.

Generally the SOS clubs do more for women and youth football than the Juniors, too.

But most of all, I can't help but laugh at fans of clubs with support in the very low hundreds crowdwanking over clubs with support in the high tens. Imagine what it looks like to the vast majority of Scottish football fans; "Hah! My tiny club is very marginally less insignificant than yours!"

We're all fans of minnows around here. That's why it's time we got rid of the artificial division once and for all and stuck together.

Totally.

4 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

Very well said !!  Now time for bed.

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

EDIT-  to try and bring things back on topic if you see the tweets rosyth are putting out the they look 100% in for EoS

Really surprised Rosyth didn't move already given they are closely surrounded by EOS teams. What's the situation with their ground and Aldi? Must be a few junior teams hesitating on any move over concerns their grounds might not be up to scratch.

2 hours ago, Che Dail said:

See when you've got full-time professional clubs like Kilmarnock losing in European competition to a part-time Welsh club on a twentieth of their budget, the realisation should kick-in, eventually,  that if that's the best this league structure can produce it really isn't working.

Stupid post considering we have two clubs in latter stages of Europe and look like we'll be back to 2 Champions League places next season. Scotland's history/geography/fanatsism about football mean that this system works. It's not perfect but it certainly works.

2 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Stupid post considering we have two clubs in latter stages of Europe and look like we'll be back to 2 Champions League places next season. Scotland's history/geography/fanatsism about football mean that this system works. It's not perfect but it certainly works.

Never ever use Rangers as an example of anything positive and only use Celtic if your life depends on it.

4 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Really surprised Rosyth didn't move already given they are closely surrounded by EOS teams. What's the situation with their ground and Aldi? Must be a few junior teams hesitating on any move over concerns their grounds might not be up to scratch.

As far as I am aware, as long as your changing room isn't in a different postcode to the pitch there's not much of a minimum.

4 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Its lidl and the store opens in march 2021 building to start in the summer

If the whole of the ersjfa south of Tay were to apply en masse to the eos, I can hardly see them excluding a couple of teams and in effect putting them out of business. Would just not be good for the games image.

Agreed, also, once the EOS has a permanent structure, I would like to see more relaxed rules for tier 8 to make it easier for amateurs to make the step up.

41 minutes ago, superbigal said:

If the whole of the ersjfa south of Tay were to apply en masse to the eos, I can hardly see them excluding a couple of teams and in effect putting them out of business. Would just not be good for the games image.

Question is whether the tribute acts would get in

22 minutes ago, Marten said:
1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Agreed, also, once the EOS has a permanent structure, I would like to see more relaxed rules for tier 8 to make it easier for amateurs to make the step up.

Agreed. 

Could be a positive opportunity to drive up standards internally by simultaneously introducing a slightly higher requirement for Tier 6 EOS (working up towards licensing, though perhaps excluding the floodlights) while also replacing the standards at Tier 8 to help ambitious amateurs progress.

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Re: the WoSFL are the LL/EOS planning on doing annoucements weekly or will it be quiet until the expression deadline?

Well looking at their last statement, they have asked for expressions of interest upto 1st March, they will then get those clubs who have expressed interest to a meeting to provide further details and a Q&A session.  That will be followed by formal invitation to apply for the league (open to everyone, not just those who expressed an interest) with a closing date of 31st March.  I doubt there will be any further statements until after 1st March, and don't expect them to release a list of clubs.

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

As far as I am aware, as long as your changing room isn't in a different postcode to the pitch there's not much of a minimum.

They have been known in the past to admit clubs on the basis that they carry out the required work in an agreed timescale to meet requirements eg Tweedmouth.  If Rosyth know they will have the proper facilities in place in a years time, then there's a good chance they would be accepted.

would like to see rosyth go to the EOS the last time I spoke to anyone from there they were worried there park wouldn't meet the criteria but its no a bad setup there even if its no there astro and changing facilities

I didn't think lochgelly would move but I think they have come round to the idea now and look set to apply