Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

8 hours ago, Glenconner said:

What money have Yoker?

They'd 23 supporters at home last Saturday.

I stood and counted them.

You'll have Isa on meltdown. Canny be right junior fitba always get big crowds. I take it you didn't count the massive contingent from Rossvale then. :whistle

Edited by newcastle broon

9 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's no reason the Junior Cup can't be carried on as an all encompassing tournament for Tier 5 and below in an integrated pyramid though.

There in lies the problem though...... Tier 5 and below already has cup style tournaments, why would they want to bring another associations tournament into the mix for the sake of shelving one of their own? 

If the sjfa, after putting the agreement reached during the pwg dialogue to their clubs, agree the move, this would be a move to join a different association than the one they have just now.... I am not sure there would be an appetite for the junior Cup to move over with the sjfa....... 

41 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

There in lies the problem though...... Tier 5 and below already has cup style tournaments, why would they want to bring another associations tournament into the mix for the sake of shelving one of their own? 

If the sjfa, after putting the agreement reached during the pwg dialogue to their clubs, agree the move, this would be a move to join a different association than the one they have just now.... I am not sure there would be an appetite for the junior Cup to move over with the sjfa....... 

I disagree - I think there's plenty of scope for a national trophy for the clubs outwith SPFL. I don't think other cups are necessarily the stumbling block - Highland's division size / fixture volume and the need to have leagues wrapped by the end of April would be bigger headaches IMO. I know the Senior non-league clubs attempted something on a smaller scale that didn't work out though, but I think it'd be brilliant to see the 200+ non-leaguers go head to head.

Whether a trophy is retained or not, it could take the place of the South Regional Challenge Cup and the Junior Cup - it's only Highland that would need to find new dates. We're very keen to take ideas from the English so a generic name could be the Scottish FA Trophy.

Because of the potential for a Newton Stewart vs Wick Academy in a competition with little prize money (compared to the Scottish Cup), perhaps the opportunity to regonalise the first few rounds, going all in at R3 (last 64)?

Edited by cmontheloknow

The whole reason clubs want to join the pyramid is to play in it and through licensing gain the right to access the Scottish Cup. In the eosfl clubs who are unlicensed play in a cup that is sponsored and the prize for winning the Cup is direct entry into the Scottish Cup the following year. The junior cup may well be a good idea if the wosfl is set up. But there already is a national Cup for those clubs in the pyramid.... The Scottish Cup. I can't see a need or desire for another national Cup.... Regional for the west maybe but not a national. 

12 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

The whole reason clubs want to join the pyramid is to play in it and through licensing gain the right to access the Scottish Cup. In the eosfl clubs who are unlicensed play in a cup that is sponsored and the prize for winning the Cup is direct entry into the Scottish Cup the following year. The junior cup may well be a good idea if the wosfl is set up. But there already is a national Cup for those clubs in the pyramid.... The Scottish Cup. I can't see a need or desire for another national Cup.... Regional for the west maybe but not a national. 

But it's a national cup none of them can win. The dream is only to add to the purse. 

Again, look down south - everyone enters two national cups. I followed Southport in the Northern Premier and Conference for a few years - the FA Trophy was a huge date on the calendar, just as I'm sure the FA Vase is for the smaller sides. Port's FA Trophy final at Wembley was a momentous occasion.

I really think a combined non-league national cup could be a winner - actual competition from the North for starters.

The South Regional Challenge Cup covers all the LL / EoS / SoS sides already - you only need to find space in the Highland fixture list for the games.

I would be staggered if there is not a national cup for all once the pyramid is fully up and running (ie with the Juniors on board in whatever capacity).

Edited by cmontheloknow

Just as a footnote to the above, maybe there is no need to ditch a South Region competition - but some of the smaller cups are surely just clutter now. The South's full list for starters... Cree Lodge, Haig Gordon, Tweedie, Potts, South League Cup, Southern Counties, Alba/Scottish... hope I've not forgotten anything! The West Region in the Juniors are poised to scale back their own cups to one or two. East Region SJFA have already done this. All the Fife KO's gone, the Brown Cup (and the other East/Lothians KO) gone, the Fife & Tayside gone, all the Tayside KOs gone, all that remains being the East of Scotland Cup, the Fife & Lothians and the North & Tayside. 

Edited by cmontheloknow

No they shouldn’t be tolerated but his behaviour on this thread should be kept as a reminder of the utter mess he made of this thread.
No issues if people don’t agree with each other but calling them animals and nazi sympathisers is just mad.

The post was controversial as it was a reference to extreme traitors, don’t remember anything about animals.

4 minutes ago, Owen Morgan said:

Well as all his posts are deleted it seems, but I don’t recall it. Interesting that I don’t think he called anyone a nazi either.

He wasn’t far off doing so. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

That was the day before. Wasn’t all contained in one post.

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

That was the day before. Wasn’t all contained in one post.

Yep........ anti-junior "monkeys" alongside the "organ grinder" (never got an answer to the question, who is the alleged organ grinder) 

Thought he said the original poster was the organ grinder.

Apparently I was. Either way his conduct on this thread over the last few weeks was ridiculous, he had clearly lost the plot and the final straw was yesterday with his exceptionally distasteful anaolgy. This follows on the heels of his mate Dipplebevvy and his drunken rampage of expletives, he's not been seen since, well not under that ID. They must be putting something in the water down that way.

Anyway, back to the point. An all-in national non league cup needs to be on the table for discussion once the majority of Junior clubs are on board and we have a WoSFL. Bin the Junior Cup name to history (or to the remaining Junior clubs) naebody is interested and have a fresh start. SFA Trophy fits the bill, with a couple of regional rounds and a national last 64/32 onwards.

2 minutes ago, Owen Morgan said:

Thought he said the original poster was the organ grinder.

Not sure, but you may be correct about the organ grinder allegation.

Moving away from "animals" etc, and as a pyramid exponent, it is perhaps relevant to point out that the ex: junior clubs which have 'gone senior', during the last 15 years, have not not looked back.  These are Inverurie Locos,  Formartine Utd, Turriff Utd, & Strathspey Thistle. (*). Whereas the North juniors who have remained in the SJFA (with the exception of Banks O'Dee,whose application was rejected by the HFL), do not appear to have progressed to the same degree, either on or off the field. 

Worth noting also that of the 2 clubs which left the EoS to join the juniors, Easthouses Lily have now rejoined, and it is rumoured that Craigroyston have submitted a late application to follow them back to the seniors.

(* footnote Cove Rangers flirted with the juniors for one season only, en route from an amateur league, to the senior ranks during the mid eighties)

Well as all his posts are deleted it seems, but I don’t recall it. Interesting that I don’t think he called anyone a nazi either.

Thats why unlike Isa I was extremely careful with my wording and said ‘sympathisers’ its there in the quote you posted in reply to. The two organisations posted worked in collaboration with the nazis during ww2, thus im quite happy making the assertion they were sympathisers. Secondly I only ever argued that he compared posters to Nazis and not that he called them Nazis, there is a difference, look up Godwins law, the premise is that in most internet arguments someone will invariably compare the other party to Nazis.
The point about the animals again has already been quite clearly made when he referred to pro pyramid posters as ‘Monkeys’.