Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

But the loss off money from Bo’ness and Linlithgow is concern for those clubs jumping ship  

Can't be that much of a concern if they have left.

Nobody is getting rich on a gate against Linlithgow and Bo'ness.

On the other hand we bought new floodlights through participation in the Scottish Cup.

3 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

But the loss off money from Bo’ness and Linlithgow is concern for those clubs jumping ship  

Not particularly, attendances from both clubs has been massively down over the last 5 years or so compared to what they were at the beginning of the decade. Camelon committee said biggest crowd this season was against Bonnyrigg. 

Even though both games would probably still be higher attendances than most EoS games next season the long term gains heavily outweigh the relatively minor downside of not playing local non-Senior teams.

7 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Couple of nice grounds, shinty pitch looks pretty decent. Never actually been to Oban but heard it’s really nice so might have to go sometime. If there is a WoS league be nice to see Oban as they’re a bit of an outlier.

Yeah it's a really unique location, all 3 grounds literally back to back... the football pitch and rugby pitch (Saints use Oban Lorne as their changing rooms, not sure about hospitality) back to back with each other, then the rugby pitch and shinty pitch likewise, but all 3 separate. The Oban tournament simplifies things by only using Mossfield and Oban Lorne. With Mossfield being used by both Oban Camanachd and Oban Celtic shinty teams, the football team is at Glencruitten pretty much all the time. Last weekend there was a game on at all 3, with those photos taken about 5 minutes apart. The only drawback with the shinty pitch for watching football is its size. The goals in the pre-season tournament are well up the pitch at either end.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 hour ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Is it possible for someone to write a potted summary of this pyramid situation as I, and I'm sure others, find it difficult to follow and 366 pages takes a lot of reading? I don't mean opinions, just the situation as it stands factually.

Here are the concrete facts surrounding the SFA pyramid:

• The only way to access the SPFL is a via a play-off with club 42 as Highland/Lowland League champions, and currently the only way to access the LL is via a play-off as EoS/SoS champions (if licensed).
  • The only way to gain an SFA Licence is to join the EoS or SoS, which is what Kelty did last year.
  • The only way to play in the (big) Scottish Cup is as a licensed SFA member (or as a winner of a Junior Superleague, Junior Cup, Amateur Cup, EoS, SoS, or an EoS/SoS Cup winners' Shield).

As has been pointed out, there are benefits to joining the EoS and/or becoming a licensed SFA member. Of course there drawbacks as well, however 13 new clubs have been accepted as EoS league members for next season so for them the move away from the Juniors seems to be the better option.

Also, back in March the Junior clubs answered an SJFA questionnaire, and the majority response from all three regions was to join the pyramid (bigger majority - 70% - in the east). The SJFA then said they will try to get the SFA to agree to the Juniors joining the pyramid.

Edited by Ginaro

12 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Here are the concrete facts surrounding the SFA pyramid:

• The only way to access the SPFL is a via a play-off with club 42 as Highland/Lowland League champions, and currently the only way to access the LL is via a play-off as EoS/SoS champions (if licensed).
  • The only way to gain an SFA Licence is to join the EoS or SoS, which is what Kelty did last year.
  • The only way to play in the (big) Scottish Cup is as a licensed SFA member (or as a winner of a Junior Superleague, Junior Cup, Amateur Cup or an EoS/SoS Cup winners' Shield).

As has been pointed out, there are benefits to joining the EoS and/or becoming a licensed SFA member. Of course there drawbacks as well, however 13 new clubs have been accepted as EoS league members for next season so for them the move away from the Juniors seems to be the better option.

Also, back in March the Junior clubs answered an SJFA questionnaire, and the majority response from all three regions was to join the pyramid (bigger majority - 70% - in the east). The SJFA then said they will try to get the SFA to agree to the Juniors joining the pyramid.

Or by winning either Tier 6 league.

42 minutes ago, drs said:

Already been listed on this thread numerous time,

full season fixture lists, community involvement, ground improvements, entry to the pyramid, club licencing, opportunity to enter Scottish Cup, youth development.

Long term its a no brainer compared to staying put.

I like the idea of a grant for ground improvements.

How long does it take to come through?

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Twelve junior clubs have joined the EOS league for next season, probably none of them have joined for the reason you have given.

Of course you know this already as it has been explained on numerous occasions.

Where did Kelty's money come from?

Wasn't out of 30 people watchng a Junior team.

I'm a Talbot fan who in principle isn't opposed to the idea of a pyramid but has serious reservations about the pig's dinner made of it by the powers that be.

My question is really aimed at those clubs in the east who've made the leap.

In light of the current promotion/relegation scenario from non league to senior, what does the future hold for the myriad of clubs likely to be stuck in limbo?

1 hour ago, Goalie Hamish said:
2 hours ago, Ali_Wee_Jag said:

Not Dunbar Utd. No intention of going EoS. I’ve said this before.

Oh dear.

Not sure if this is an 'Oh dear' Dunbar are getting it wrong for staying Junior. Or an 'Oh dear' Dunbar are intending to join the EoS and Ali_Wee_Jag is misinformed.

There could be some sense to Dunbar staying. Likely to be the only Junior left in the area and will possibly have Superleague status due to the number of teams leaving. While all the EoS clubs are chasing the same talent pool, maybe Dunbar could pick up those in the area that prefer the idea of sticking Junior. Strengthen as a Superleague club and then if there's another Junior wave of moves to the EoS they'd likely be in some sort of EoS First Division/Tier 7 transitional season to accomodate everyone.

15 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Or we could just say it's a post on P&B and it's probably nonsense like most of this thread.

I'm not saying it's happening, but with the EosL and new WosL being formed then I doubt they'll leave this open.  

9 minutes ago, Hossy87 said:

I'm not saying it's happening, but with the EosL and new WosL being formed then I doubt they'll leave this open.  

I've been at three West Region Junior games a week for a month.

I've yet to hear anybody mention a WoS League.