Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Eh. Surely last yrs beaten finalist and this yrs no 1 Kerber is favourite

Kerber was 14/1 earlier today.

What happened to Mattek-Sands knee? Did it just blow up?

Gave way under her as she came into the net, it's on YouTube but not for the faint hearted. Her opponent was first to go to her and you can tell by her reaction how bad it looked.

Edit: one of the Petershill players dislocated his knee in February, this looks quite similar.

Kerber, Muguruza, Wozniacki, Venus Williams, Azarenka, Kusnetsova, Ostapenko, Halep, Radwanksa are all still in there, so it is surprising to see Konta as the favourite.

Of course, all the people lumpung money on are probably complete morons believing the BBC hype.

47 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Kerber, Muguruza, Wozniacki, Venus Williams, Azarenka, Kusnetsova, Ostapenko, Halep, Radwanksa are all still in there, so it is surprising to see Konta as the favourite.

Of course, all the people lumpung money on are probably complete morons believing the BBC hype.

True, but I look at those names and think I wouldn't feel confident putting a cat's poo on any one of them winning it. Makes it interesting, but only because nobody stands out.

The second week often sees someone emerge as a likely winner, but we'll see.

16 minutes ago, gmca said:

True, but I look at those names and think I wouldn't feel confident putting a cat's poo on any one of them winning it. Makes it interesting, but only because nobody stands out.

The second week often sees someone emerge as a likely winner, but we'll see.

Venus would probably stand out due to her past record, but I'd tend to agree. I'd back a few of them ahead of Konta though - she makes Wozniacki look like Lendl in the mentally tough stakes.

A wee bit unfair on Konta, a positive record against 7 of the 9, won her games on grass against them, beat 6 out of 9 on their last encounters, she's in the mix as much as any of them IMO.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Nobody's denying that but she ain't the favourite by a long shot

Who is?

35 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'd say maybe Azarenka or Muguruza.  They both seem to be hitting really big so far.

I would expect Azarenka to run out of steam, I'm not even convinced the winner is in those named +Konta, Konta is taking the most cash but you'd need to pick 5 to have at least a 50% chance of getting the winner, it's as open as the Grand National.

Rybarikova's the value bet for me at 33/1.

28 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Kerber, Azarenko; Spanish/columbian lady... the coco wumin cash is coaching and even Williams would be b4 Konta imo

Kerber has won 12 of last 20, lost all 4 against top 20 in that time.

Azarenka struggling against Watson.

Mugaruza has won 12 of last 20, won 2 from 7 against top 20 in that time.

Vandeweghe has won 12 of last 20, won 2 from 5 against top 20 in that time.

Williams has won 15 of last 20, won 2 from 5 against top 20 in that time.

Konta has won 12 of last 20, won 2 from 6 against top 20 in that time.

Not exactly scintillating stuff.

Halep has won 17 from 20, won 4 from 7 against top 20 in that time.

Rybarikova has won 18 from 20, won 2 from 3 against top 20 in that time.

A bit better.

Archived