C**** on a Train

11 minutes ago, GordonD said:

So there's no cause for complaint when a cello with a ticket is occupying one. Especially on a train with no luggage compartment.

I was once on a train from Glasgow to Edinburgh (via Motherwell - ultimate destination London) where a couple of women had a cello which they'd propped in the seat opposite. The ticket collector knew that the train would fill up at Edinburgh and got them to move it to the luggage van. This of course is not a possibility where the train doesn't have one.

In the scenario which started this discussion: even in the (improbable) event of the cello having its own ticket, it shouldn't have a seat when there are people standing.

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

In the scenario which started this discussion: even in the (improbable) event of the cello having its own ticket, it shouldn't have a seat when there are people standing.

There's nobody standing in the photo. And where else could it go? If you put it in the vestibule at the end of the carriage it stops people getting on and off. You could argue that the station staff shouldn't have let them take it on the train in the first place but if they haven't done that then a seat space is the only place it can go. Some trains have a luggage space at the end that's used for bikes but they're the old type. The flash modern ones have done away with that.

There's nobody standing in the photo. And where else could it go? If you put it in the vestibule at the end of the carriage it stops people getting on and off. You could argue that the station staff shouldn't have let them take it on the train in the first place but if they haven't done that then a seat space is the only place it can go. Some trains have a luggage space at the end that's used for bikes but they're the old type. The flash modern ones have done away with that.
The poster who described the scenario said there were people standing. I would say it should go somewhere, anywhere, that doesn't deny a passenger a seat. And if there's nowhere, it shouldn't be on the train.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

There were people standing at the doors either end but they had left prior to the picture being taken. Some Ayr trains do have luggage spaces near the doors but not sure if that one had. I did think it would've fitted in the rack above though.

Tbh, you wouldn't get to take it on a plane as hand luggage, a bus driver would tell you to f**k off and a taxi driver would probably be even more colourful, so why should a train be any different???

Planes and buses have cargo holds.  Trains have only got that corridor next to the bog where I store my bike.  This usually causes much annoyance to the fat waddling full time mummies that think that area is for the soul purpose of parking their errant mutant fuckspawn.

18 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Planes and buses have cargo holds.  Trains have only got that corridor next to the bog where I store my bike.  This usually causes much annoyance to the fat waddling full time mummies that think that area is for the soul purpose of parking their errant mutant fuckspawn.

Absolute c**t. 

6 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Tbh, you wouldn't get to take it on a plane as hand luggage, a bus driver would tell you to f**k off and a taxi driver would probably be even more colourful, so why should a train be any different???

They can cost £20,000 and upwards, people pay for an extra seat when flying, don't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same on a train, although I'd try and grab the wheelchair area and hope a wheelchair didn't come on.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They can cost £20,000 and upwards, people pay for an extra seat when flying, don't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same on a train, although I'd try and grab the wheelchair area and hope a wheelchair didn't come on.

My brother in law is a cellist and the one he plays is worth something like £200k.  

25 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My brother in law is a cellist and the one he plays is worth something like £200k.  

Could you possibly pm me his address and any other pertinent information such as when he's maybe going on holiday or events he will be attending sans-cello? Ta. 

2 minutes ago, nsr said:

If you can afford to pay more money than most people's houses cost for a musical instrument, why are you travelling on Scotrail with the lice-ridden poor?

Most cellists don't own their instruments.