The Celtic All Seasons thread

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Hatate and Maeda in Japan squad but Kyogo isn't. Great news for us that Kyogo isn't given I was expecting us to not have a striker for a while but absolutely baffling why the Japanese coach doesn't seem to rate him.

Looking at their squad is it case of him or Asano?

Maeda can play across the front 3 that Kyogo cant. Hosoya is young and has a good record at youth level so presumably seen as a long term option which Kyogo isnt.

So youre left with two late 20s players in Kyogo and Asano. Not a clue about Asano though, but hes playing regularly in the Bundesliga.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looking at their squad is it case of him or Asano?

Maeda can play across the front 3 that Kyogo cant. Hosoya is young and has a good record at youth level so presumably seen as a long term option which Kyogo isnt.

So youre left with two late 20s players in Kyogo and Asano. Not a clue about Asano though, but hes playing regularly in the Bundesliga.

Asano is picked more regularly for Japan than Kyogo and also had a very good World Cup. He’s more than double the number of caps.

The Japan coach has always stated his preference for players playing in the better leagues.

Like I said earlier this is good news for Celtic but absolutely not a surprise. 

I’d be very surprised if Kyogo becomes a regular for Japan under the current coach.

Heard we have been offered Ola Solbakkan, currently on loan in Greece from Roma but Roma apparently want shot.

Not sure how he has done recently but do remember him tearing us a new one with Bodo.

7 minutes ago, LuboMoravcik said:

Linked with Scott McKenna. I'd be very happy if we could get him.

Some Celtic fans would turn their nose up at him but he would be a huge upgrade on Phillips. Add in that Lager is most likely away and questions over CCV's fitness I would be glad to get someone imposing like McKenna.

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Some Celtic fans would turn their nose up at him but he would be a huge upgrade on Phillips. Add in that Lager is most likely away and questions over CCV's fitness I would be glad to get someone imposing like McKenna.

Yep, definitely a bit more height and strength in the team too. We have the shortest team in the league.

4 minutes ago, LuboMoravcik said:

Yep, definitely a bit more height and strength in the team too. We have the shortest team in the league.

Gordon Strachan will be along shortly to give you some advice...

Rocco Vata has been given permission to speak to Bologna. Shame he didn't make the break through with us properly, but the story is he told the club he saw his future elsewhere so has been frozen out.

Just wish we'd hurry up and sign someone now, preferably a left back.

7 hours ago, LuboMoravcik said:

Rocco Vata has been given permission to speak to Bologna. Shame he didn't make the break through with us properly, but the story is he told the club he saw his future elsewhere so has been frozen out.

Just wish we'd hurry up and sign someone now, preferably a left back.

This is the thing that pisses me off about Celtic is that we consistently lose these kids with good potential as they don’t see a pathway to the first team. We have seen Dembele, Doak and now Vata in recent seasons whilst MJ continues to be a first team player, it’s infuriating.

24 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

This is the thing that pisses me off about Celtic is that we consistently lose these kids with good potential as they don’t see a pathway to the first team. We have seen Dembele, Doak and now Vata in recent seasons whilst MJ continues to be a first team player, it’s infuriating.

Dembele has been an absolute flop so you can scrub him off that list 😂

Edited by stressball

9 minutes ago, stressball said:

Dembele has been an absolute flop so you can scrub him off that list 😂

He has but he had massive potential and who knows what could have happened had he been given the opportunity

5 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Doak was given a chance in big games but Liverpool quadrupled his wage and there's nothing else we can offer that they can't, so we were never keeping him. It's frustrating as in recent years we've lost Hepburn and Morrison to Bayern, Hjelde to Leeds, Doak to Liverpool. With Vata leaving too it feels like it's been far too long since an academy player established themselves as a regular.

On another note, looks like we may be signing Nicholas Kühn from Rapid Wien. Youtube highlights make everyone look class but I was reminded of Patrick Roberts in terms of his style.

Doak would most likely have gone to Liverpool anyway, but when did he get "given a chance in big games"? He had two appearances for Celtic, about 20 minutes against Dundee United at Celtic Park and then 2 minutes in an Old Firm game in which you were 3-0 up at half-time.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Doak would most likely have gone to Liverpool anyway, but when did he get "given a chance in big games"? He had two appearances for Celtic, about 20 minutes against Dundee United at Celtic Park and then 2 minutes in an Old Firm game in which you were 3-0 up at half-time.

Those are both big games.

9 hours ago, LuboMoravcik said:

Those are both big games.

Even I would consider a home game against Dundee United being a big game to be quite the stretch. We haven't beaten you at Celtic Park since 1992

He left when he was 17 not sure how many appearances you would expect a player to have had by then? He would have probably had a bit more too at that age  if he had signed a contract. The same went for Morrison who left for Bayern, he would have played for us by then if he signed a deal and probably have had load of appearances for us by now given Walsh was seen as  behind him despite being a fair bit older iirc.

As for Dembele it was always an attitude thing apparently so no complaints there and he's hardly kicked on. 

Back to Vata I think he is in the same boat where he would have played more for us  if he signed a new deal. I think his final nail for him though was liking Haksabanovic's dig at Celtic on Instagram. Its not ideal but I get why Celtic aren't giving them a first team chance if they are refusing to commit.  I also get why they f**k off as theres more cash elsewhere and absolutely no  guarantee they are going to make it in senior football so might as well take it while they can like Feruz.

Edited by gannonball