The Celtic All Seasons thread

19 hours ago, Buckets said:

If its true Celtic are getting 4 million for that boy Oh, that's probably the best bit of business they've done in a long time

2.5 million upfront + 1.5 mil in add ons plus a sell on fee.

Decent return tbf for someone who rarely featured 

Edited by Jinky67

11 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

So if Hart makes as little or indeed fewer mistakes in these games than Butland does why is he subject to a higher level of criticism from you? These mistakes cost you points and trophies, big points also in big moments of the season. You can just say you dont like the guy, that’s ok too

He's subject to a higher level of criticism because I think he is a worse keeper. As simple as that, really. It's like asking why I am more critical of Greg Taylor in comparison to Kieran Tierney. I think Hart's time at Celtic was underwhelming and distinctly average (performance wise).

I don't have any major disliking of Hart other than the usual kind that comes with playing for Celtic. He even came across as quite likeable during the Euro 2024 coverage he appeared in.

Edited by AJF

30 minutes ago, AJF said:

He's subject to a higher level of criticism because I think he is a worse keeper. As simple as that, really. It's like asking why I am more critical of Greg Taylor in comparison to Kieran Tierney. I think Hart's time at Celtic was underwhelming and distinctly average (performance wise).

I don't have any major disliking of Hart other than the usual kind that comes with playing for Celtic. He even came across as quite likeable during the Euro 2024 coverage he appeared in.

Thats kind of what doesn’t make sense to me. If you think Hart is a worse keeper then surely you expect mistakes and it’s then just par for the course for a keeper that you believe to be past his best? You accept that as an inevitability.

But if your keeper whom you believe to a better keeper overall but he makes more mistakes and more costly ones then surely his higher level of ability should come with more higher level of expectation and indeed higher level of critique? 

Seems a bit backwards to me

Edited by Jinky67

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Thats kind of what doesn’t make sense to me. If you think Hart is a worse keeper then surely you expect mistakes and it’s then just par for the course for a keeper that you believe to be past his best? You accept that as an inevitability.

But if your keeper whom you believe to a better keeper overall but he makes more mistakes and more costly ones then surely his higher level of ability should come with more higher level of expectation and indeed higher level of critique? 

Seems a bit backwards to me

But my critique of Hart was to suggest that I felt his time at Celtic was rather underwhelming and his performances for Celtic that I had seen him in, were relatively poor in comparison to some past Celtic keepers.

The mistakes I highlighted were to back up that view point after you said you couldn't think of any (outside the single example you gave).

I clearly have higher expectations for Butland than I do for Hart, and I've already mentioned that I've criticised Butland when warranted, but that doesn't mean I will criticise a better player more than a lesser one. Again though, my whole original point was about Hart's time at Celtic because it was topical to the discussion that was ongoing about his ability.

On 15/07/2024 at 15:27, Jinky67 said:

It's not true that he rarely featured. He featured in every league game from the win at Ibrox until Idah came in, along with 5 CL appearances. He more than had his chance.

£1million for a back-up keeper when you've got Siegrist and Bain. Admittedly, Bain is shite, but still, that money could be spent elsewhere, surely?

2 hours ago, LuboMoravcik said:

It's not true that he rarely featured. He featured in every league game from the win at Ibrox until Idah came in, along with 5 CL appearances. He more than had his chance.

The article I read on his departure said he played in nearly 50 games for Celtic in around 1.5 seasons so as you say he played fairly regularly.

It’s probably a good deal for every party. Oh came here to get a ‘foot in the door’ in Europe and has very quickly got a move to a league ranked higher than the Scottish Premiership and where5 seperate winners in the last 10 seasons would suggest it’s much more competitive.

Celtic have made a profit on a player that they will likely use to up their bid for Idah who Rodgers wants as part of his squad next season.

On 15/07/2024 at 15:27, Jinky67 said:

I had a wee sneeky thought we might have got him on loan. But that's crazy money

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

£1million for a back-up keeper when you've got Siegrist and Bain. Admittedly, Bain is shite, but still, that money could be spent elsewhere, surely?

Siegrist is almost certainly away, rumours of Australia as his partner is from there. Hes pretty much put his feet up not long after he arrived which is why Bains been second choice for a while now. Viljami Sinisalo I'm guessing is another project signing as he's only 22, I assume they are hoping for him to take over from Schmeicel eventually.

14 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Siegrist is almost certainly away, rumours of Australia as his partner is from there. Hes pretty much put his feet up not long after he arrived which is why Bains been second choice for a while now. Viljami Sinisalo I'm guessing is another project signing as he's only 22, I assume they are hoping for him to take over from Schmeicel eventually.

Seems like Celtic are forever signing 'project' keepers who never get a look in at any point.

Cool that you signed Vil!  

We had an absolutely abhorrent defence when he was at Ayr so he was really put to work, he was top of most goalie stats before getting injured and Craig Gordon was in the league.  

Much less concerned now we’ve got two keepers in the door. They’ve known about this for a while now and put a decent succession plan in place. 
Hopefully a few more to strengthen the squad before the window closes. 

5 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

Much less concerned now we’ve got two keepers in the door. They’ve known about this for a while now and put a decent succession plan in place. 
Hopefully a few more to strengthen the squad before the window closes. 

Still need a left back, centre half, a right winger, a centre forward and to get the Bernardo deal done as cover for O’Riley if he goes. Thats the bare minimum for me or we just standstill.

I agree however our keeper situation is much stronger than in seasons past 

Edited by Jinky67

On 19/07/2024 at 19:35, Jinky67 said:

Still need a left back, centre half, a right winger, a centre forward and to get the Bernardo deal done as cover for O’Riley if he goes. Thats the bare minimum for me or we just standstill.

I agree however our keeper situation is much stronger than in seasons past 

Aye, those are key areas where it’s clear to see we’re lacking quality cover or any sort of challenge for position. 
I was worried we wouldn’t get the keeper situation sorted first which having known about it in advance would’ve really annoyed me.