The Celtic All Seasons thread

Good to see that we've spent so long negotiating with Norwich to only pay over the odds in the end anyway.

Regardless of this, we've got loads of cash so I don't particularly care and I'm thankful that he's back. 

Still more signings required for Europe.

12 hours ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

Good to see that we've spent so long negotiating with Norwich to only pay over the odds in the end anyway.

Regardless of this, we've got loads of cash so I don't particularly care and I'm thankful that he's back. 

Still more signings required for Europe.

Genuinely surprised you didn't go for either Miovsi or Shankland. Both would have cost less and are probably better players.

3 hours ago, AndyM said:

Genuinely surprised you didn't go for either Miovsi or Shankland. Both would have cost less and are probably better players.

There's no probably about it.

Crazy signing at that price, but it's not my money.

11 hours ago, AndyM said:

Miovski i agree with, a better all around footballer imo but not Shankland. 

Either way i'm confident the big fella will do well, time will tell if we overpaid 

Yeah the price is abit higher than expected, but he came in and did a good job and scored us some important goals that won us the title (and in turn made us a shit load of money) and it was pretty f**king clear Rodgers really wanted him signed.

Happy to have him back

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Lol £9million quid to beat Motherwell.

No 9 million quid for a player that came in clutch quite often and scored some very important goals that saved or won us important points and a Cup Final. 

20 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

No 9 million quid for a player that came in clutch quite often and scored some very important goals that saved or won us important points and a Cup Final. 

Goals don't matter , as long as he's Irish he ticks all the boxes. No doubt mccowan has Irish links.

On 13/08/2024 at 19:53, Busta Nut said:

Lol, Norwich have pulled down your pants.

They have but in a weird way Im glad they have a bit to highlight the boards leg dragging publicly costing us. Tried to haggle over a few hundred no doubt only to end up paying a few million more. Penny wise pound foolish and wasted having a decent pre season with us.

On 14/08/2024 at 08:26, AndyM said:

Yeah Miovski would agree we should have been in for him too. Im not sure Shankland would have been much use as a guy not playing every week as he’s known to pile it on so not sure worth the risk for the cash Hearts would have been looking for. Could have ended up a pudding like Ciftci.

Idah is a different of player though to a guy who provides muscle that our team lack and probably helps us more in Europe being able to hold the ball up when we are under the cosh.

2 hours ago, well again said:

Goals don't matter , as long as he's Irish he ticks all the boxes. No doubt mccowan has Irish links.

Nice narrative but Idah initially was an underwhelming signing for most in our support plus Scales gets a hard time from our support also when often its not merited. 

Matt O’Riley could have been playing against Real Madrid in the Super Cup Final followed by a trip to the San Siro to play Inter in August. Instead he’s going to be beating Hibs for the 2nd time in 8 days followed by a trip to St Mirren that will in all probability end up a routine win for Celtic.

Will there come a point where this saga will impact his motivation and potentially his performance (doesn’t seem to have so far) or is he genuinely content playing in the Scottish Premiership ?

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Matt O’Riley could have been playing against Real Madrid in the Super Cup Final followed by a trip to the San Siro to play Inter in August. Instead he’s going to be beating Hibs for the 2nd time in 8 days followed by a trip to St Mirren that will in all probability end up a routine win for Celtic.

Will there come a point where this saga will impact his motivation and potentially his performance (doesn’t seem to have so far) or is he genuinely content playing in the Scottish Premiership ?

His performances fell off a cliff last season after Celtic knocked back Atletico's approach, albeit he did finish very strongly afterwards. So I'm hopeful the same will happen if he doesn't get a move this window 😅

ETA: Not that it will make much difference, mind you.

Edited by AJF

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

His performances fell off a cliff last season after Celtic knocked back Atletico's approach, albeit he did finish very strongly afterwards. So I'm hopeful the same will happen if he doesn't get a move this window 😅

ETA: Not that it will make much difference, mind you.

He’s in quite a unique position for a guy playing in Scotland  where it’s very, very good teams from top 5 leagues that want him ie. Atletico and Atalanta so if he goes there he’s playing in the CL and obviously has a far better chance of winning games. I’m just wondering if the appetite from the player to play at that level regularly is as big as the clubs who are trying to sign him ?

My opinion admittedly not having watched him regularly is that he has the ability to play at a far higher level domestically and would also play regularly for Denmark if he left Scotland.

Agree that it won’t make a difference - Celtic could start with 10 men every week and still win the league with easily.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

27 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

I've been told he doesn't want to join Atalanta.  The wages being offered are in the same sphere as Celtic's, he wants to play in the EPL (understandable). 😇

That’s interesting as the latest financials showed Atalanta’s total wage bill as c.£40m pa and Celtic’s at c.£20m pa ??