TRNSMT Festival

Cumdog35

2 hours ago, Rovers2017 said:

Chvrches and The Killers were brilliant. Great that Killers got a fan on stage to play drums for a song. 

I think it's a "thing" for them now when they play 'For Reasons Unknown'. Seems like something that could go horribly wrong, but Tony didn't let them down. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I think it's a "thing" for them now when they play 'For Reasons Unknown'. Seems like something that could go horribly wrong, but Tony didn't let them down. 

Yeah I thought it was going to be some drunk punter, but like you said the guy was brilliant. Got a video of the whole song. 

On 09/07/2018 at 07:54, mike rankine said:

I knew Dave Keuning wasn't touring (although technically still their official guitarist) but what's the deal with Mark Stoermer? Bass guitar duties passed wholesale to a session musician while he potters around in the background often not playing a note. Is it a confidence issue?

I think he's doing his own solo thing, but still records with The Killers on the albums for bass. 

The replacement guitarist for Dave put an Instagram post saying TRNSMT was one of the best shows on this entire tour. Definitely best Killers gig I've been to. My friend came along and only knows the main Killers songs you would expect, but said this one was amazing. 

20 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

In what way? 

I mean, I like them and it was great and they've obviously got the back catalogue to put on a massive show like that and combine good songs with a stage show which works, but it was... weird. It's weird to me that there's two original members and they're still playing like normal. It's weird that they combine this with what, about six or seven backing members? How many guitar layers do you need? And as much as Brandon's great at performing like this, the best way I could describe his act watching it on TV was like it was a sociopath in a Killers tribute band who had been given an unlimited budget, which he put into a big screen, loads of lasers and plastic surgery to make himself look like Brandon. His teeth were the brightest thing on the stage.

I'm not one for big outdoor gigs anymore but it still seemed weird. I was also a bit taken aback by the Waterboys cover but that's just because I associate it with Frightened Rabbit's 2012 Hogmanay performance, it was great and looked like it went down well.

Elsewhere, Franz Ferdinand are an ugly bunch and Chvrches give me the fear.

I get your point, Miguel but unless I'm mistaken wasn't there 3 of the 4 playing? Mark Stoermer (original bass player) seemed to be tinkering about stage left in the background, occasionally strumming, occasionally playing keyboards, mainly doing very little.

I was there and thought they were brilliant but I agree with your underlying sentiment; I'd rather watch the original 4 members (plus 1 or 2 session musicians - like in the classic Live at the Albert Hall DVD) than a few original members supported by too many session musicians.

18 minutes ago, mike rankine said:

I was there and thought they were brilliant but I agree with your underlying sentiment; I'd rather watch the original 4 members (plus 1 or 2 session musicians - like in the classic Live at the Albert Hall DVD) than a few original members supported by too many session musicians.

A discussion that me and some mates that go to gigs together have had a couple of times- at what point are you no longer watching the group, and watching a tribute act instead? My stance is that if you drop below 50% of what you consider to be the main band line-up, then it's a tribute act.

13 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

“It’s weird to me that there’s two original members and they’re still playing like normal.”
What do you suggest they do?

I'm not suggesting anything, it just seems weird to me. Maybe it's because they were the first band I took an interest in and knew who all the members were, I don't know. 

13 hours ago, mike rankine said:

I get your point, Miguel but unless I'm mistaken wasn't there 3 of the 4 playing? Mark Stoermer (original bass player) seemed to be tinkering about stage left in the background, occasionally strumming, occasionally playing keyboards, mainly doing very little.

This just adds to my point really, if he was there I didn't notice him.

Much prefer TRNSMT to T in th Park. Central location, easily accessible by car or public transport, home in the comfort of my own bed at a half decent time. I appreciate that won't be the same for others though. Plus it must be a nightmare for local residents.