Work colleagues

In my office, we get Christmas day and Boxing day off and the rest is up to each individual what time off they take. We also finish at lunchtime on Christmas eve. One woman is off this Friday and Monday and also the 27th. But she's coming in on Christmas eve because we finish early and doesn't want to waste a days leave on an early finish day. I find it very odd that she's giving up a clear ten day holiday to work one day purely because we finish early. It's not even as if she has no leave left as she's taking her last day off on Wednesday with no plans of what to with it. Anyone else feel this strange behaviour?

In my office, we get Christmas day and Boxing day off and the rest is up to each individual what time off they take. We also finish at lunchtime on Christmas eve. One woman is off this Friday and Monday and also the 27th. But she's coming in on Christmas eve because we finish early and doesn't want to waste a days leave on an early finish day. I find it very odd that she's giving up a clear ten day holiday to work one day purely because we finish early. It's not even as if she has no leave left as she's taking her last day off on Wednesday with no plans of what to with it. Anyone else feel this strange behaviour?

We’re the same (with half day on 31st and 1st/2nd off). It’s well talked about to never take either of the half days off. I’m not sure how many bother, it makes sense if the last working day fell on a Friday but it’s really not worth when it’s midweek.

I have however booked both off, I had holidays to use and it would make no sense to have say Friday and Monday off and come in on the 24th. It’s pretty clear your at it if you do that and the half day is discretionary, it would be funny if your company is similar and make her work it.

We’re the same (with half day on 31st and 1st/2nd off). It’s well talked about to never take either of the half days off. I’m not sure how many bother, it makes sense if the last working day fell on a Friday but it’s really not worth when it’s midweek.

I have however booked both off, I had holidays to use and it would make no sense to have say Friday and Monday off and come in on the 24th. It’s pretty clear your at it if you do that and the half day is discretionary, it would be funny if your company is similar and make her work it.
She's not being made to work, she could easily take the day off and give herself a ten day break. But instead of doing that, she's breaking that up into a five and four day break purely because we leave early one day. She's even taken this Wednesday off to use up the last of her leave in complete isolation even though she's got nothing planned. She's off this Friday ffs, take the Thursday if you're going to do that. I'm beginning to rant again at something that's none of my business and makes zero difference to me anyway.

I have a pal at work doing the shift between Christmas and New year rather than taking a few days holiday to link up the public hols because "nobody is in so you don't need to do any work" [emoji849]
We end up with people taking holidays every second year just to share the time off about a bit. But I'd absolutely be off every year if I had the chance. Yer pal is oftw.

My work has the option of a 1pm finish on Christmas Eve or you can book a half-day holiday and get the whole day off.

I assumed this was the norm.
Definitely not . People will be panic buying and greeting they couldnt buy whatever is they need because they presume we will have it in stock for them.
Not to fear however we are closed just the one day so the world will not end

I've got a four-day stretch of annual leave booked over the holidays; it'll be the longest I've been away from work since March, and I've had it booked for months. One of those days (Monday, let's say) has been my regular day for covering at another site for the past few months. This is supposed to come to an end on the 23rd - I've asked if I'd be required to cover after this date and been ignored. I've pointed out to folk at the other site that they need to make sure that they won't need cover after this date and, if they do, to find it somewhere else for the 30th, as it won't be me.

I'm most assuredly going to be asked to work on the 30th as "nobody realised that you weren't going to be in." If that doesn't happen, I'll come back to frantic emails and voicemails wanting to know why nobody came in to open the shop on the 30th. Despite having everything in writing, I'm definitely going to have to explain my absence to one of the high heid yins. If I bypass my boss and go straight to one of the high heid yins to explain the situation before then, I'll have to put up with his rancorous mood.

I might be clutching at straws here, but is there any way in which it would be acceptable to just murder everybody? Like, absolutely all of them?

One of my colleagues (the one who didn't know what the Arab Spring was despite being married to a Libyan) just defended Chris Brown as Rihanna "looks like the sort that is probably asking for it". The colleague in question is herself a victim of domestic abuse.

Takes one to know one I suppose.

I work constant backshift. There is about 5 of us in our team who's shifts fall on the two eves. Xmas and hogmanay.

The initial enquiries were met with "right now you are working to the end, it may be earlier but can't be promised." People weren't happy. As I use public transport I enquired about my shift on those days as I won't get home. No real answers were given so I suggested I'd have to be let go at a reasonable time due to transport stoppping, I jokingly refused my collegues offers of lifts with "It's not up to you to see me home, I'll just have to finish about 7pm" [/hahaha].

This resulted in a wummin goin aff her trolley talking about kickin up a fuss etc if I got away early. All that did was make me more determined to get the days off. So while everyone whined about working late on these days but not actually doing anything. I've asked questions sent emails and spoken to people which resulted in me working the two Saturday's before Xmas and being off on both these eves.

I did it quietly and told no one. I plan on sending them a snidey email just to annoy them. (Cunty I know.)

I work constant backshift. There is about 5 of us in our team who's shifts fall on the two eves. Xmas and hogmanay.

The initial enquiries were met with "right now you are working to the end, it may be earlier but can't be promised." People weren't happy. As I use public transport I enquired about my shift on those days as I won't get home. No real answers were given so I suggested I'd have to be let go at a reasonable time due to transport stoppping, I jokingly refused my collegues offers of lifts with "It's not up to you to see me home, I'll just have to finish about 7pm" [/hahaha].

This resulted in a wummin goin aff her trolley talking about kickin up a fuss etc if I got away early. All that did was make me more determined to get the days off. So while everyone whined about working late on these days but not actually doing anything. I've asked questions sent emails and spoken to people which resulted in me working the two Saturday's before Xmas and being off on both these eves.

I did it quietly and told no one. I plan on sending them a snidey email just to annoy them. (Cunty I know.)

Is constant backshift to your liking or you got little choice/say in the matter?

Many moons ago when I had a job that involved shifts, backshift was always my least desirable, unwanted shift pattern. Especially in summer.

That’s fuckin brilliant. Serves them right for not thinking of doing that. Video their reactions when you tell them.

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Is constant backshift to your liking or you got little choice/say in the matter?

Many moons ago when I had a job that involved shifts, backshift was always my least desirable, unwanted shift pattern. Especially in summer.

My back shifts finish at half 11just now. It was a choice at the time, I was single and they offered a 4 day week shifts on a Mon- Fri with every second week a long weekend so I jumped at the chnce then it meant I was in the pub every weekend and went to every fitbaw game going. I am expecting a wean now and getting auld so I don't bother with the booze as much. Back to days and the odd weekend for me soon enough.

2 hours ago, Dosser-fae-the-shire said:

That’s fuckin brilliant. Serves them right for not thinking of doing that. Video their reactions when you tell them.

If only I could. I am sending them an email on the 21st as I won't see the worst of the moaning c***s until the 2nd of Jan. They will read it the 23rd or 24th, I have asked a few pals in other parts of the work to keep their ear to the ground to observe the rage. I also plan on sending snidey mesages on the WhatsApp group of me drinking Bailey's in my xmas jammies as an additional bam up.

Ze German Frau that I have complained about on here before is leaving on Friday, and has organised a few drinks on the rooftop terrace for after work this evening. I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, she can be a massively infuriating c*nt on a frequent basis, on the other hand, she does get a lot of work done which will now have to be split between the rest of us. On the balance of things, and given she organised drinks for a Tuesday evening in likely sub zero conditions, good riddance.

Well I had a long and uncomfortable meeting with management this afternoon, I still finish on Friday and..... Er, that’s it.
I don’t go back in the new year!
Did the Big Boss finally work out what all those colourful Scots words actually mean?

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've got a four-day stretch of annual leave booked over the holidays; it'll be the longest I've been away from work since March, and I've had it booked for months. One of those days (Monday, let's say) has been my regular day for covering at another site for the past few months. This is supposed to come to an end on the 23rd - I've asked if I'd be required to cover after this date and been ignored. I've pointed out to folk at the other site that they need to make sure that they won't need cover after this date and, if they do, to find it somewhere else for the 30th, as it won't be me.

I'm most assuredly going to be asked to work on the 30th as "nobody realised that you weren't going to be in." If that doesn't happen, I'll come back to frantic emails and voicemails wanting to know why nobody came in to open the shop on the 30th. Despite having everything in writing, I'm definitely going to have to explain my absence to one of the high heid yins. If I bypass my boss and go straight to one of the high heid yins to explain the situation before then, I'll have to put up with his rancorous mood.

I might be clutching at straws here, but is there any way in which it would be acceptable to just murder everybody? Like, absolutely all of them?

Wait till you get your overpaid tax back...