Work colleagues

3 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

But they're not in work. That's the entire point.

What would your reaction be if your colleague next to you was arbitrarily awarded an extra week's paid holiday this year?

I'd push to get one too, not to get theirs taken away.

43 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Scandinavians have the right idea IMHO. Give folk back a wee bit of time to conduct their business, spend with family or engage in leisure activities and we'd have a healthier and happier workforce that still got the job done. 

Having worked over in Norway at times, I've always been impressed with them when the clock hits 4 (they start at 8 ) and everyone suddenly stands up and f***s off to do something else.  I once slightly over-ran giving a training course and the lot simply buggered off.  :lol:

I also quite like it when they do the same at 11 when they typically all head down to lunch together for a decent chat, rather than head away in cliquey dribs and drabs.  Seems to help the office atmosphere.

Only place I've been where you rock up to the office in the morning and find cross-country skis all over the place.

Edited by Hedgecutter
Getting telt

50 minutes ago, nsr said:

As long as the work is being done, does it really matter if someone saunters in 10 mins late or shoves off 10 mins early?

Finally.

Someone who speaks sense.

Easy to spot the company fluffer types on here.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Flexi time is great but the option of home office is even better.

I would hate to work from home, purely for the fact I would get out of bed at 3pm and sit playing Fifa for the rest of the day.

12 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I would hate to work from home, purely for the fact I would get out of bed at 3pm and sit playing Fifa for the rest of the day.

I work from home.  Had a game of Pro Evo earlier and I was still eating breakfast whilst watching TV  at 9:30. 

The major downside is that you can't steal acquire a little bit of milk for your tea if you've run out though.

Eta: now off to make a toastie for lunch. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

32 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

What would your reaction be if your colleague next to you was arbitrarily awarded an extra week's paid holiday this year?

If he can do the same amount of work to the same standard in less time or using less resources, then tough titties for me.

2 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

There's a few in my work who stroll in the doors at quarter or 20 past 9 every single day, and as they don't really have a direct line manager, nothing is ever said to them. Very annoying tbh.

Sounds like every woman of 'eastern-european descent' in my place of work

Just now, Estragon is a fud said:

Just answer the question m8.

If it was completely arbitrary, I wouldn't be happy. If he was getting to work less hours because he could do the work more quickly/efficiently, I'd still not be happy but I wouldn't really have grounds for a complaint.

I was aware that was the point you were trying to make, and the answer remains the same. If someone is getting a day's work done in 7hrs 45mins, they can have the 15 mins off.

I used to work in a team which included two elderly women who did 07:30 to 15:30 every day without fail. Given that nothing much happened before 9am it meant they could sit doing nothing for the first hour and a half, and tough shit if you needed to finish early as they would never agree to cover.

One day we got a new senior manager (our boss's boss's boss) who wanted to meet everybody in the department. When his schedule appeared it was obvious that he wouldn't get to us much before half past three and the rest of us looked forward to the reaction of the old biddies when they were forced to stay longer than usual. He was spending around twenty minutes with each team and got to us at about three-twenty. At three-thirty on the dot one of the women said to the new boss, "Well, we won't keep you back any longer," and the two of them put on their coats and fucked off! His face was a picture.

I think the overriding theme in UK workplaces is a complete lack of trust. You get to a certain level of management and they seem to think that everyone below somehow must be ripping the pish and need to be treated like kids.

I think its a legacy of the class system personally.

Sadly, most managers will never learn that the way to a stress free existence at work is to gather a team of people who know what they are doing, and let them do it.