Work colleagues

5 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Can’t remember who it was that hated the ‘murcan accent but I’ve still not murdered any of my colleagues yet

Why are they all so shouty on the news channels? Even the anchors are worse than that North Korean biddy. I last about 10 minutes and have to switch off.

@scottsdad.......may be of tangential interest to you for when The Prof decides he fancies a bit of tribunal action ! 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/07/loud-academic-wins-unfair-dismissal-case-against-university

In its judgment, the tribunal said: “The race discrimination claim is based on her eastern European Jewish heritage, which she says gives her inherent characteristics (in the way she interacts with people) which she says were the reasons for the way she dealt with her students.

“She says that as a woman she was discriminated against as physics has long been male-dominated, and she says that a man would not have been treated so. The university says that Dr Plaut’s behaviour warranted dismissal, and that race and sex had nothing to do with it.”

Plaut was the first woman in the department and claimed she had long struggled against unconscious bias, the tribunal heard.

She said her heritage meant that she was naturally loud, her body language was demonstrative and her conversational style was naturally argumentative. She compared this to people of Mediterranean heritage.

Plaut claimed that she became loud when she became excited or engaged in a topic, and as she was passionate about physics that often happened. She told her students that was how she was, and they should not take offence.

@scottsdad.......may be of tangential interest to you for when The Prof decides he fancies a bit of tribunal action ! 
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/07/loud-academic-wins-unfair-dismissal-case-against-university
In its judgment, the tribunal said: “The race discrimination claim is based on her eastern European Jewish heritage, which she says gives her inherent characteristics (in the way she interacts with people) which she says were the reasons for the way she dealt with her students.
“She says that as a woman she was discriminated against as physics has long been male-dominated, and she says that a man would not have been treated so. The university says that Dr Plaut’s behaviour warranted dismissal, and that race and sex had nothing to do with it.”
Plaut was the first woman in the department and claimed she had long struggled against unconscious bias, the tribunal heard.
She said her heritage meant that she was naturally loud, her body language was demonstrative and her conversational style was naturally argumentative. She compared this to people of Mediterranean heritage.
Plaut claimed that she became loud when she became excited or engaged in a topic, and as she was passionate about physics that often happened. She told her students that was how she was, and they should not take offence.
I'm not a p***k it's just my heritage may be an argument I use in the future.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Interesting read. I wonder how this "loud" teaching style came to light - did students complain? Or was it just other staff couldn't stand her?

Dr Annette Plaut, who had worked as a physicist at Exeter University for 30 years, was described as a “Marmite character” during the tribunal, valued by many but considered “overbearing” by others.

I know a few marmite characters in academia. But not I would think grounds for dismissal. There must have been something that triggered this.

49 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

As you know, abusing PhD students is not uncommon but without context it's hard to know whether she really was doing that or whether some fragile PhD students (also not uncommon) just couldn't deal with her intensity.

Between the genuine bullies and the emotional flakes it can be hard to get a feel for what is really going on.

What's interesting is that her colleagues seemed to have issues with her as well unless I have misunderstood.

At least she went.

On 12/11/2021 at 15:30, Honest Saints Fan said:

I handed my notice in yesterday. My department at work restructured last year and centralised the department I work in making several redundancies. It went from 3 people in my department in my office to only me working part time 3 days a week.

Over the last year the work has become more stressful, we do not have enough staff to service our clients and I've just started hating it more and more as the weeks pass. I've been working more hours than contracted to, not taking lunch hour and putting my laptop on on my days off.

The higher management have taken no accountability for fucking up what was a great department under the company they bought over. 

So yesterday I resigned. My branch staff are trying to persuade me it will get better. That senior management are having a meeting at the end of the month as no one is happy with my department and what they have done to it but they can't guarantee anything will change so I'm leaving. 

It's a job I did love and the only thing drawing me to staying is all the benefits. Private health care, income protection, fantastic pension etc. but I've decided that with my health this shouldn't be a motivator for me. 

I've accepted a new role working within cancer services and start in the New Year. 

Good for you.

On 01/12/2021 at 18:32, Raidernation said:

Can’t remember who it was that hated the ‘murcan accent but I’ve still not murdered any of my colleagues yet

Was that not @victor meldrew ? And it was women, rather than 'muricans in general.