Work colleagues

1 hour ago, philpy said:

2 of my colleagues sit and have their breakfast before they start. Is this considered as normal behaviour?? I just find it a bit odd.

Clocked in? We've got a few like that. There was 2 women who met at each others desks and set a table for lunch.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

You're supposed to shite three times a day.

Edit : no yer no. It is "from three times a day to three a week is normal". I obviously switched off after "a day"

3 a week sounds mental unless you are one of those 5:2 diets

15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Elon Musk to Tesla staff: 'If you don’t show up, we'll assume you have resigned' (msn.com)

This doesn't affect me as I'm not an employee but some companies seem to be very keen to get staff back in the office.

Going to be an interesting year or two in terms of seeing if we really have seen a permanent change in how people work.

My gut is telling me that if bosses really push, employees will give up the ghost here but who knows.

Musk claims he routinely works 120 hours a week, much to the detriment of his friends and family.

Why does he even bother to have a family?

He sounds like a freak to me.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I suppose it depends on whether anyone actually believes that or not.

The sign of a moron is anyone who tells you how many hours they put in each week - as though it somehow matters or as though people will be impressed.

So he's a liar, a moron or both. 😂

I recall an interview where Bill Gates claimed he was a fast reader and read two paperbacks a day.  Not to mention all the time he spends on his day job.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

What on earth do you eat for lunch? I can only take a shite in the morning, before running/gym/breakfast.

It's an after dinner thing for me now, but it's been different at other times. The body is a weird thing.

BTW, I've seen it said that average jobby rate is between six times per day, and once per week. Doctors seem to be more concerned about changes in routine, rather than frequency (unless you're always/never on the throne).

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Musk claims he routinely works 120 hours a week, much to the detriment of his friends and family.

Why does he even bother to have a family?

He sounds like a freak to me.

CEO types are always claiming to work stupid hours. I think it's a combination of having nothing they'd rather do than think about their business, and a genuine lack of understanding about what constitutes "work". In most cases, they wouldn't want to spend 120 hours per week doing the graft that their underlings do.

The main exception that occurs is Alan Sugar, who took turns at doing everything due to being an untrusting micromanager, even answering the phones. It used to be said that Amstrad was virtually worthless as a company without him.

CEO types are always claiming to work stupid hours. I think it's a combination of having nothing they'd rather do than think about their business, and a genuine lack of understanding about what constitutes "work". In most cases, they wouldn't want to spend 120 hours per week doing the graft that their underlings do.
The main exception that occurs is Alan Sugar, who took turns at doing everything due to being an untrusting micromanager, even answering the phones. It used to be said that Amstrad was virtually worthless as a company without him.
And I once seen it said that Alan Sugar looks like a water buffalo straining
to get a shite out.

Neatly tying both topics together.

It's been proven, multiple times, that working over a certain number of hours a day (5 or 6 I think) is not productive, and that folk actually become significantly less productive.

The lying p***k morons like Musk who claim to work a bajillion hours include things like 'work' lunches' 'work' golfing and other nonsense.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's been proven, multiple times, that working over a certain number of hours a day (5 or 6 I think) is not productive, and that folk actually become significantly less productive.

The lying p***k morons like Musk who claim to work a bajillion hours include things like 'work' lunches' 'work' golfing and other nonsense.

It's also a handy, but ludicrous, way of dismissing the requests of the people who make them money.

"You want shorter shifts/more money for working on the factory floor? I literally work every waking moment, you snowflakes!"

Yeah, I'm pretty certain getting on his private jet to go and smoke weed with Joe Rogan will be "work" in his mind/ego.

Man's a p***k

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

It's also a handy, but ludicrous, way of dismissing the requests of the people who make them money.

"You want shorter shifts/more money for working on the factory floor? I literally work every waking moment, you snowflakes!"

Musk is a c**t. He has workers sleeping in his factory as there isn't enough time for them to go home, sleep and get back in time for another 16/17 shift.

I absolutely despise the p***k.

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, I'm pretty certain getting on his private jet to go and smoke weed with Joe Rogan will be "work" in his mind/ego.

Man's a p***k

He threw a big baby fit that folk didn't worship him so, after crying c**t tears about it, said he was now a Republican (as if he wasn't always one of those filth).

Edited by DA Baracus

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Musk is a c**t. He has workers sleeping in his factory as there isn't enough time for them to go home, sleep and get back in time for another 16/17 shift.

I absolutely despise the p***k.

That's pretty common in the American tech sector, unfortunately.

There's been some cracking stories about the employees of Silicon Valley tech companies living in cars parked in their parking lots, because they can't afford to live within commuting distance of work. When it hit the press, the answer was to make their people move their car/home elsewhere outside of working hours.

I will always remember going for a job interview where the person sitting opposite told me that he once had to sleep at his desk next to a computer that might go beep.

If it did go beep, he had to act swiftly and resolutely and deal the situation in a competent and effective manner that would resolve the issue promptly.

I think I asked "so did it go beep?"

Didn't get the gig.

Sigh.  It almost sounds exciting.

6 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I will always remember going for a job interview where the person sitting opposite told me that he once had to sleep at his desk next to a computer that might go beep.

If it did go beep, he had to act swiftly and resolutely and deal the situation in a competent and effective manner that would resolve the issue promptly.

I think I asked "so did it go beep?"

Didn't get the gig.

Sigh.  It almost sounds exciting.

Richmond watching the flashing lights in the IT Crowd server room.

I read a story on TheDailyWTF years ago about a guy who was continually getting dragged out of his bed to drive out to work in the middle of the night when some dodgy (but essential) network hardware hung and needed to be restarted. In the end, he set up an old PC next to it with a sign reading "NEVER TO BE TURNED OFF". When he got notification that the hardware had hung, he sent a signal to the old PC through his phone, which told the CD drive to eject, which hit the reset button on the hardware and restarted it. Then he rolled back over and went to sleep  :P

Surely that all depends on the type of work you're doing.

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They are also fly as f**k in that they'll have a phone on them (or on their poor PA whos never left their side) while they sit by a pool, go for dinner etc, and if the phone goes its work related, 

And because they are contactable via this phone, they'll class this as working when they are doing f**k all, even if the phone doesn't ring all day