Work colleagues

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

Depends on the job but I find everyone works better when together in the same office. Employees have became entitled as f**k since covid. People wanting to work at home to look after their dogs alongside other pish excuses. 

Yes I sound like a dinosaur 

Would disagree with you, anytime I’ve been into the office I’ve got f**k all done because folk just want to talk. In my spare room I get peace and quiet and get to decide who I want to speak to (sometimes).

There are always folk who take the piss and do nothing working from home but good management should avoid that

13 hours ago, Aufc said:

Depends on the job but I find everyone works better when together in the same office. Employees have became entitled as f**k since covid. People wanting to work at home to look after their dogs alongside other pish excuses. 

Yes I sound like an ars*hole

Ftfy

13 hours ago, Aufc said:

Nah, I find I spend most of my day talking and being easily distracted when I'm in the office. Get far more done working at home

14 hours ago, Aufc said:

I work longer when I'm at home, it only a 15min walk to office and back, but by the time I make a lunch and pack laptop etc and get sorted start later, and by 16.30 had enough of being in office. No-one bothers or interrupts at home to tell me of their past weekend, pending weekend, I don't have to pretend to care. no queue at the microwave at lunchtime at home. Teams call or message works the same if I'm in office or at home. Management let you get on with it and it works.

Edited by MEADOWXI

8 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

I work longer when I'm at home, it only a 15min walk there and back, but by the time I make a lunch and pack laptop etc and get sorted start later, and by 16.30 had enough of being in office. No-one bothers or interrupts at home to tell me of their past weekend, pending weekend, I don't have to pretend to care. no queue at the microwave at lunchtime at home. Teams call or message works the same if I'm in office or at home. Management let you get on with it and it works.

Some size of house.

23 hours ago, Wacky said:

Still sounds like a bizarre response to someone saying good morning. 

ah dinnae unnurstaund the young ains nooadays 

Sounds like you've outaged 'wacky' and need a change to Brian or something like that. 

Guest DannyBlue

I got more done at home as well in fact, it wasn't even close. It would take me about 3 or 4 hours to get done what would have been an entire day's work in the office. Admittedly then I would ease off, but as long as I didn't take the piss and make it obvious I wasn't working, no one cared, the work was done. This is how it should be if you get the job done and done well, why does it matter if you aren't in the office?

14 hours ago, Aufc said:

I sit and write code for the majority of the day, being in an office with a substandard setup to my own is a hindrance. The last time I went into an office I spent a fair amount of time fucking around with monitors and cabling and even then it was inadequate, I never do this at home unless I change something and my chair isn't uncomfortable, smell like years old farts or have about 10 different peoples lunches or coffee spilled on it and never properly cleaned. 

For myself I don't see it as entitlement, I feel like the office is an outdated concept.

Appreciate it's not the same for everyone, my kind of work is results driven so if I sat around and did nothing, people would know very soon and I'd be out the door. 

On 21/09/2023 at 07:06, Wacky said:

I’m clearly getting auld…very auld. Some of the jargon used at work is baffling. Can anyone explain why when I say “morning” (of course it’s never a good morning) to a work mate, they reply with “what’s happenin” 

To me that is the strangest response to greeting someone with a simple “mornin” 

How do you respond to that? I’ve tried answering with “I’m about to have a coffee then go and carry on with my work” I get a one word response to that, like braw, good, or the standard, oh! 

What does it all mean? 

Seriously, I need to know for my sanity. When I’ve asked the question at work, I get a shrug of the shoulders, or told “it’s just what we say”. 

I suppose the best, or depending on how you look at it, the worst answer I’ve had “there’s no point in explaining it, you’ll only forget ya auld fart”

Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On?”, from 1971 starts with the greeting “what’s happening brother?”

That’s 52 years ago.

You’re going to be really confused when you start hearing kids saying “bad” when they mean “good”.

15 hours ago, Aufc said:

Entitled? f**k right off man. Employees should be taken care of far better than currently in general. The UK is far behind and this draconian thinking that employees should be at work 9 to 5 with no flexibility to this. 

48 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On?”, from 1971 starts with the greeting “what’s happening brother?”

That’s 52 years ago.

You’re going to be really confused when you start hearing kids saying “bad” when they mean “good”.

I’ve heard that one. The other one that left me gubsmaked was when I was told to “shut up” when talking about a bizarre situation at work one day. Apparently that’s the response instead of saying “really” 

Baffling 

On 21/09/2023 at 07:06, Wacky said:

I’m clearly getting auld…very auld. Some of the jargon used at work is baffling. Can anyone explain why when I say “morning” (of course it’s never a good morning) to a work mate, they reply with “what’s happenin” 

"Good morning" is short hand for "Have a good morning to you".  "Morning" is even shorter still.

(Similar Good Bye is short hand for God Be With You)

After you say Good Morning, they could reply "Good Morning" but it is quicker to skip to next bit and say "What's happening".

Some people even say "What's the Craic?" (I dunno, a small fracture that is not entirely a clean break?)

Not to mention "Fit Like Loon?"