Work colleagues

I think I have just been “double professored” by two of my colleagues. 

The big boss and his second in command were down on Monday and spent most of the morning in a meeting with my colleagues Mr A and Mr B. 

Today I have been copied into emails, which seem to be related to the meeting on Monday, allocating a good 50-60% of Mr A and Mr B workload to me.  This will allow them time to help with training for the rest of my colleagues. 

I’ve emailed my direct boss pointing out that 50-60% of two other peoples workload plus 100% of my workload means I will be doing between 200-220% of one persons work and asking how this is going to work. I’ve yet to get a response to this. 

5 hours ago, Buzz Killington said:

I think I have just been “double professored” by two of my colleagues. 

The big boss and his second in command were down on Monday and spent most of the morning in a meeting with my colleagues Mr A and Mr B. 

Today I have been copied into emails, which seem to be related to the meeting on Monday, allocating a good 50-60% of Mr A and Mr B workload to me.  This will allow them time to help with training for the rest of my colleagues. 

I’ve emailed my direct boss pointing out that 50-60% of two other peoples workload plus 100% of my workload means I will be doing between 200-220% of one persons work and asking how this is going to work. I’ve yet to get a response to this. 

You'll be laughing when your first 220% pay slip arrives, but.

That's how that works, right?

On 21/09/2023 at 19:36, Aufc said:

Depends on the job but I find everyone works better when together in the same office. Employees have became entitled as f**k since covid. People wanting to work at home to look after their dogs alongside other pish excuses. 

Yes I sound like a dinosaur 

Calling it entitled and demanding a reason for someone not coming to the office shows you up for what you are.  

Fortunately I don't need to justify why I am working from home.  I get more done at home because there is less distraction and if I do get distracted by something I'll just add that on and finish late.  If I'm in the office there's people and people are a distraction.  

I stumbled upon a Reddit thread about working from home after overhearing the lonely micromanagers last week. Half of the thread was people moaning about how they never get to see their friends anymore, and the office is such a lonely place with only a handful of people in, so those working from home should think about other people and come back into work.

Take a fucking hint. They're not your "friends", and they'd be arranging to see you outside of work if they were. Stop trying to force other people to be your mates and relying on captive workers for social interaction, or you're going to end up chewing the ears off bored counter staff in the Post Office when retirement inevitably comes calling.

8 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Calling it entitled and demanding a reason for someone not coming to the office shows you up for what you are.  

Fortunately I don't need to justify why I am working from home.  I get more done at home because there is less distraction and if I do get distracted by something I'll just add that on and finish late.  If I'm in the office there's people and people are a distraction.  

Well done for you. If it works for your type of work then so be it. I’m more talking about people who say “I can’t do that because I’m working from home” or “I’ll take a bit longer to do that because I’m working at home”. The whole point of it is that it shouldn’t hVe a negative impact on your work. 

58 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Well done for you. If it works for your type of work then so be it. I’m more talking about people who say “I can’t do that because I’m working from home” or “I’ll take a bit longer to do that because I’m working at home”. The whole point of it is that it shouldn’t hVe a negative impact on your work. 

It did read as though you were complaining about people making up excuses for working from home, rather than just using it as an excuse for poor performance, so it's good to get that cleared up.

Quite fancy using "sorry, I have a dog" as an excuse for not doing work, though. No context, just a flat statement to see the looks on faces  :P

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The Prof has Covid. Cancelled a class he was having today.

What's the deal with that these days? Two weeks off, or play it by ear? Nobody in my family has had it yet, so I've no idea.

Presumably the Prof will be away for vital treatment in the Caribbean.

44 minutes ago, BTFD said:

What's the deal with that these days? Two weeks off, or play it by ear? Nobody in my family has had it yet, so I've no idea.

Presumably the Prof will be away for vital treatment in the Caribbean.

One of our grandsons has it (Covid, not vital treatment in the Carribean). He wasn't even told to stay at home.

On 28/09/2023 at 22:02, BTFD said:

I stumbled upon a Reddit thread about working from home after overhearing the lonely micromanagers last week. Half of the thread was people moaning about how they never get to see their friends anymore, and the office is such a lonely place with only a handful of people in, so those working from home should think about other people and come back into work.

Take a fucking hint. They're not your "friends", and they'd be arranging to see you outside of work if they were. Stop trying to force other people to be your mates and relying on captive workers for social interaction, or you're going to end up chewing the ears off bored counter staff in the Post Office when retirement inevitably comes calling.

The two groups that seem to miss it most are the Brentesque middle managers who relied on in-office working to provide them with a captive audience and the wee groups of middle-aged wifies who have what passes for a social circle built around work. Even the latter have found an MO by co-ordinating their days in, so it's really only the first lot who there was never really any hope for anyway.

I remember during one of the lockdowns one of the Brents stridently complaining to me that WFH simply doesn't work because nobody was keeping in touch with each other and thinkling to myself  "Aye, nobody's keeping in touch with YOU..." People were just sending him strictly-business emails and avoiding phoning him because they knew they'd be subjected to 45 minutes of his brand of performance art if they did.

• 2 weeks later...

Out for a walk yesterday evening, passing a bar, see and speak with two colleagues sitting outside with prosecco. Time was approx 7.30pm and they were both still in work clothes (left work at 4.15p.m.). Nothing wrong with that. However, one has to raise an eyebrow when one of the lassies from that group pitches up at work this morning and runs to spew. 

Edited by jimbaxters