Work colleagues

7 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Bane of my life as I’ll forget every time, EVERY FUCKING TIME, that the lookup data needs to be in alphabetical order.

Cheeky wee OFFSET & MATCH gets you round that.

Not the biggest news ever, but David (aka The Prof) has started his phased retirement. From February he will be working just 3 days a week.

Then, a year later, 2 days...then 1...then no longer a P& B favourite

Basically he is pissed off. When he came to us the management promised him loads of stuff, not least that he would be leading a team that, he later found, doesn't exist. He was saddled with terrible students, in huge numbers. He lives in Manchester but bought a flat here to stay in a couple of nights a week. The commute is getting to him, and he could sell the flat and make a few bob.

Just had enough.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

"Hi" is the kind of message you get on WhatsApp from scammers to see if your number's active. I'm perplexed as to why somebody would do this on a work instant messaging service, so I'd be ignoring it too.

If they complain that you never responded, you can say that you thought they must be a Ukrainian model looking for someone to marry, if only they could find someone willing to buy them a plane ticket, and you didn't think your wife would approve.

I send "hi" because on normal email programs the return key starts a new line and doesn't just send the first one. 

I will generally send the rest of the message though, but it might be a minute or two. 

56 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Not the biggest news ever, but David (aka The Prof) has started his phased retirement. From February he will be working just 3 days a week.

Basically he is pissed off. When he came to us the management promised him loads of stuff, not least that he would be leading a team that, he later found, doesn't exist. He was saddled with terrible students, in huge numbers. He lives in Manchester but bought a flat here to stay in a couple of nights a week. The commute is getting to him, and he could sell the flat and make a few bob.

Just had enough.

Working 3 days a week- so he's upped his contribution then? 

3 hours ago, SomersetBairn said:

This is about my level of Excel usage. Though I did think outside the box, used my basic Excel knowledge to complete an XML table, with thousands of entries, in around two hours. It had been estimated that the work would take at least a week, so when I did it that quick, they thought I was the mutts nuts.

Been make a living off that 'wizardry' for the last four years.

Never, ever, let on how long this kind of thing takes; the key is to get the work done, but as you're debugging save a copy before fixing each bug. That way you can release them over a week or two, buying plenty of skiving time.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I send "hi" because on normal email programs the return key starts a new line and doesn't just send the first one. 

I will generally send the rest of the message though, but it might be a minute or two. 

That moment of terror when you can't remember if <ENTER> adds a carriage return or sends the message on the platform you're using  :shutup

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Just had enough.

How much do you think you'll get for your flat? 

I really don't know that much about excel but pretty much anything on it can be figured out quickly using chatgpt or YouTube tutorials.

I think peoples adversion to it is the same mindset where lots of people can't do maths (they probably can it's just a confidence thing).

Still works for me, one of my colleagues has brass necked a whole job out of being an excel CI expert, turns up late and leaves early each day. I'm impressed.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

What's the opposite of 👀✍️?

💩🥫?

Heard the final disposition on a bloke I worked with who got into a wee bit of difficultly about the time I retired. Seemed he was working the overnight shift, and got the last break...hopped into his automobile and hot-footed it over to a hotel where he was supposedly meeting a 14-year old...

So working as job where a conviction for such erases all benefits...doing it while on the clock...getting caught by the FBI, who had helped process his security clearance three months before (make me wonder if something didn't stick out, so to speak, on that)...then I stupid enough to expect to be able to report to work three days later after getting out on bond. His picture was posted with a "DO NOT ALLOW ENTRY" at the guard shack, but they decided to put him on administrative leave rather than canning him until he was convicted 14 months later. His appeals have been exhausted, as has his "luck". Based upon reports, he won't be doing easy time, thankfully. I do however feel very sorry for his wife and young kid, who had no knowledge.

10 hours ago, coprolite said:

Not sure how many messaging platforms it works on but Slack lets you start a new line but pressing Ctrl+Enter. Not sure if Teams or other equivalents do the same 

Edited by Central Belt Caley

11 hours ago, mathematics said:

Bane of my life as I’ll forget every time, EVERY FUCKING TIME, that the lookup data needs to be in alphabetical order.

Try an XLOOKUP? I got shown a sheet with several hundred entries needing processed regularly and was shown how to do it (literally one by one, for every entry, and check every 20 or so entries that the numbers were adding up) which would be a tedious, lingering death of a way to do it.

Played about with the sheet and discovered the XLOOKUP function; tends to be theres a handful of entries that cant be found and need a little bit of digging & one or two other minor issues I just manually update, but just using that does about 90% of the work. Cut down a 4/5 hour job to about half that.

12 hours ago, coprolite said:

shift + enter solves that problem, no?

14 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Just had enough.

That must be the most feeble protest ever. If he was that pissed off, tell them where to stick their fucking job and stamp out. Don't even slam the doors, leave them all open.

That's what I did, and within 20 years that office was shut!