Living in Cologne/Germany

I shall be making a Brexit of my own in August and moving to Cologne, are there any other posters on here that are living in the area or indeed Germany and can help with any advice or pointers to start off with? I'll be moving in with my missus and visiting her on Wednesday to get a feel for the place, but hoping that someone can suggest places for English speaking jobs in the area, things to watch out for and anything else of note I should know about Cologne?

Things I've learned so far:

Mein Deutsch ist kaput

FC Koln sing their own version of Loch Lomond

They have an actual goat as mascot

Driving is meant to be absolutely mental at times, dealing with Audi and Beamer c***s constantly.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I can't think of a single poster who even visits Germany regularly. You would think he would have mentioned it.

He supports that German team. They are based about 45 minutes from Köln. That's close enough to be useful...

I have a colleague from the area, if I see him at any point before I forget about this post I will ask him. My only knowledge of the place is Karnival in February. I could probably also recommend a lap dancing bar in Düsseldorf, though that is around 30 minutes away. The girls in there all spoke English, so perhaps you could start searching for work there.

As for other English speaking jobs, if you aren't fussy then your best bet to get started is to trawl the Irish/British theme bars. There will undoubtedly be a few and they generally employ anyone. Wages will be shite but it will give you a good start in terms of picking up local knowledge and making acquaintances.

They speak Kölsch anyway so I wouldn't be worried about your German.

You are only about half an hour from weed and tarts on your weekends too. Or waffles if you prefer.

The whole NRW area is one big built up area so travel to Dusseldorf, Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund etc is really easy but Koln probably the nicest of them anyway.

As mentioned any number of Irish bars or similar to get you up and running.

Well, weed and tarts aren't really my thing but waffles are braw.

I've seen Trivago have English speaking jobs, have applied there. Would love to avoid bar work as much as possible but needs must if so. Been there done it hated it.

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

They speak Kölsch anyway so I wouldn't be worried about your German.

You are only about half an hour from weed and tarts on your weekends too. Or waffles if you prefer.

The whole NRW area is one big built up area so travel to Dusseldorf, Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund etc is really easy but Koln probably the nicest of them anyway.

As mentioned any number of Irish bars or similar to get you up and running.

All over that.

Archived