The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You are behind the times - the relationship that saw Rangers 'B' play home games at The Rock has now ended.  You will not find one Dumbarton fan who was ever happy with it, quite the opposite; it was a disgraceful arrangement driven by financial desperation.

So Rangers B leave to go play where.

It ain't for sure a Wosfl stadium.

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

That'd be the major stumbling block as I see it.

He reckons they're getting a hundred fans at games. I don't think I've ever met anyone who "supports" an amateur side, other than watching from the side of the pitch because their mates are playing.

Tbf Queens Park were amateur until 5 minutes ago.

11 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

You wonder why folk react when you have an idiot Dumbarton fan on here talking about teams taking the Old Firm boaby.

When the Rangers B team play their home games at..........Dumbarton.

Yes, absolutely superb comparison there. Renting them facilities and voting them into the league system have exactly the same impact on Scottish football. I retract everything I’ve said now that you’ve pointed this out. Thanks for opening my eyes.

You absolute fanny 🤣

2 minutes ago, drs said:

A fan of a club with a one sided stadium has no right to talk about stature of anyone entering the SPFL. 

Except the fans don't build the stadiums, do they? So whether a team plays at a large or small arena makes no difference to the point he's making.

1 minute ago, PossilYM said:

St Pat's could play at Dumbarton.

You don't half talk a lot of shite. I don't think you've made a single salient point, just endless petty jibes.

41 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Is there anything lazier than the 'ambitious' clubs patter? Maybe PossilYM can clarify what he means when folk like him use that.

That lumps everyone who has been promoted into the same boat. When they are very different clubs.

Imo Bonnyrigg are the best addition there has been to the league. They are a club with a very good support who have done it without a sugar daddy. They were always a big junior club and are the sort of team I think we'd all have no issue with being promoted. Ground aside, they are very much a League Two side in every aspect.

Then you have Cove. Cove have put much better teams on the park than anyone else promoted, but ultimately they are a vanity exercise. A team with a tiny support that's being heavily backed. When the money men pull out they'll sink like a stone. I suspect Edinburgh City will do likewise unless they can get some investment this season. I'm sure I read that they had circa 20 season ticket holders. The Vale have more than that.

Kelty, to be fair, have a good support and with their money men gone I expect they'll become a fairly established club bouncing between top half League Two and bottom end of League One. But does that make them any better than the likes of Stenny? Should they then move into the establishment pile and be replaced by a flash in the pan investing big bucks in an unsustainable way like Johnstone Burgh maybe? Who will become flavour of the month with the 'great to see a club showing ambition' folk this season.

Of course I'd love for someone to come into Sons and start throwing silly money at us. It would be a great ride as long as everything didn't fall apart at the end of it. But I wouldn't say the sheer luck of having someone pouring money into a club makes us any more deserving of a place in any league than anyone else.

I imagine tunes might be changed if the Saudi royal family began pouring money into Aberdeen or Hearts, upsetting the Old Firm and beating them to trophies. Can you imagine the reaction if Aberdeen were able to fire £20m on Kyogo?! Nobody would be saying 'ambitious' and everyone would be saying 'unsustainable'.

Fwiw I don't know enough about Spartans off the park to know where they fit it. With the amount of kids and coaches there I assume they are what clubs like Cumbernauld Colts and BSC Glasgow (before the split) have tried to be. And that's an interesting model. But again it looks like a different one to Cove, Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Edinburgh City.

Well said👏

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Yes, absolutely superb comparison there. Renting them facilities and voting them into the league system have exactly the same impact on Scottish football. I retract everything I’ve said now that you’ve pointed this out. Thanks for opening my eyes.

You absolute fanny 🤣

Jeeso this pyramid ain't half getting to you guys.

😂

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

Except the fans don't build the stadiums, do they? So whether a team plays at a large or small arena makes no difference to the point he's making.

Well then how does a club like Bonnyrigg have lower stature than a club like Dumbarton? 

Its an embarrassing point made by a fan of a club that is currently on its knees. 

1 minute ago, drs said:

Well then how does a club like Bonnyrigg have lower stature than a club like Dumbarton? 

Its an embarrassing point made by a fan of a club that is currently on its knees. 

He literally said Bonnyrigg are the best fit to have come up, you slobbering buffoon.

1 minute ago, Greenmachine said:

They’ve applied and as far as I know they’ll get into the 4th Division.

Yeah he said they'd been up and done their presentation. He was saying he's looking to give them a more semi pro approach all across the board. Think he's pulling his hair out with the amount of hours it takes up running a team 😂

16 minutes ago, drs said:

A fan of a club with a one sided stadium has no right to talk about stature of anyone entering the SPFL. 

A club with a two sided stadium was in the Europa League final about a decade ago. Sides to stadium does not equal size or stature of club.

36 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There isn't a thing clubs can do about the Conference League. Apart from vote against it of course. Supporters have been very vocal in opposing it, most notably Aberdeen who have now axed plans to play a B team in it.

Suspect that if it goes through the Conference League will only be a thing for four or five years. By then Maxwell and Celtgers/Rantic will have got their way on promotion-eligibility for their B teams, and the Lowland League will have improved (definitely going to be a better league with Albion Rovers and Linlithgow next year) to the point where current SPFL teams will accept it as a decent place to be relegated to. 

14 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Yeah he said they'd been up and done their presentation. He was saying he's looking to give them a more semi pro approach all across the board. Think he's pulling his hair out with the amount of hours it takes up running a team 😂

It’ll be a lot more involved than running an amateur team!

SFA disciplinary system for players to adhere to as well 😂

49 minutes ago, Greenmachine said:

Once they fall out of the “42 gang” they find out what it’s like for the rest of Scottish football.

My Team: Celtic. 

Fucking hell, the irony of this post :lol:

36 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

He literally said Bonnyrigg are the best fit to have come up, you slobbering buffoon.

Christ you guys are certainly triggered - raging against the dying of your SPFL light. Sad to see a club of Dumbartons stature is supported by such abusive children.