The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That's because Johnstone Burgh can't play guys like Graeme Dorrans and Del Esplin yet. But you seem fairly switched on with regards to the non-league game, so I'll assume you knew that.

There isn't a thing clubs can do about the Conference League. Apart from vote against it of course. Supporters have been very vocal in opposing it, most notably Aberdeen who have now axed plans to play a B team in it.

I don't think there's an issue with more fluid relegation/promotion. But because of the way the pyramid was set up, there are clubs coming up who aren't league clubs in stature.

There's also no way of knowing who would've been where if this happened 50 years ago. If you told a Kelty or Cove fan 50 years ago they would be where they are now then I doubt they'd have believed you. Both were (I think) amateur clubs at that time. What's to say that 50 years from now it isn't St Pat's FPs and EKYM who are punting 'established' clubs like Cove and Kelty out the league?

I've said before if Sons were to go down I'd far rather we were relegated to the WOS Premiership. That's a far better league than the Lowland League, and there are more clubs of a similar size to DFC at that level who would bring better (and more passionate) supports.

Cove certainly were

7 minutes ago, drs said:

Christ you guys are certainly triggered - raging against the dying of your SPFL light. Sad to see a club of Dumbartons stature is supported by such abusive children.

Wilful ignorance and sanctimony are a shite combination my friend.  Please stop embarrassing yourself.

3 minutes ago, Greenmachine said:

And wrecked the pitch 🤦‍♂️

Think the useless groundsman had a hand in that also. My mate at Rangers ground staff said they all hated working with him and used to send the apprentice down to do their bit so they wouldn't have to deal with him.

Shame to see Albion come down, though I am very much looking forward to getting back through to Coatbridge and Cliftonhill in the new season. 

It's a tough transition for league 2 teams coming down. As all teams that have come down have found. The lowland league definitely needs refining and it's mince playing against B teams. But, there is things to look forward to; getting a trip to Berwick a year, having an away day in new places like Bo'ness, Galashiels and Linlithgow. It's refreshing only playing teams twice. 

Embrace the challenge, it certainly hasn't been the death knoll of teams like us, Berwick and the Shire and there's no reason why it needs to be yours. There's still a place in Scottish football for "Diddys" like us! 

1 hour ago, sailorcowden said:

Shame to see Albion come down, though I am very much looking forward to getting back through to Coatbridge and Cliftonhill in the new season. 

It's a tough transition for league 2 teams coming down. As all teams that have come down have found. The lowland league definitely needs refining and it's mince playing against B teams. But, there is things to look forward to; getting a trip to Berwick a year, having an away day in new places like Bo'ness, Galashiels and Linlithgow. It's refreshing only playing teams twice. 

Embrace the challenge, it certainly hasn't been the death knoll of teams like us, Berwick and the Shire and there's no reason why it needs to be yours. There's still a place in Scottish football for "Diddys" like us! 

@sailorcowdenis spot on.  You either give up completely (don’t give up Rovers fans) or look on it as positively as you can.

There are some cracking away trips to be had as pointed out, though Bo’ness on a freezing December night couple with a wretched performance was not to be recommended.

Hell, I even got excited knocking 5 goals past Edinburgh Uni at Peffermill in the pissing rain. 🤣

As far as going to watch the B teams go, I guess everyone has to make their own decision. I decided that I wasn’t going to make my team suffer by not giving them my gate money, and attended 2 out of the 3 B team games at home (missed Hearts as it was midweek and couldn’t make it). Didn’t feel the urge to go to any of the away B ones though probably would have done Hearts at Rosewell if hadn’t been on holiday.

11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I generally find that fans of the old junior clubs on here are absolute weirdos, as is being proved in this thread by the likes of this PossilYM character. 

Hoi!

9 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Suspect that if it goes through the Conference League will only be a thing for four or five years. By then Maxwell and Celtgers/Rantic will have got their way on promotion-eligibility for their B teams, and the Lowland League will have improved (definitely going to be a better league with Albion Rovers and Linlithgow next year) to the point where current SPFL teams will accept it as a decent place to be relegated to. 

Linlithgow I'll give you but what makes you think Albion Rovers willl have anything like the standard of player next season that they had this? The reality is they'll be scrabbling around trying to get LL standard players and competing against teams who already have most of those.

4 hours ago, rockson said:

Linlithgow I'll give you but what makes you think Albion Rovers willl have anything like the standard of player next season that they had this? The reality is they'll be scrabbling around trying to get LL standard players and competing against teams who already have most of those.

I'm not sure what an 'LL standard' player is - one that's better than low end L2? Anyway, Albion aren't in such a bad place as they can surely tap into the (many) players in west central Scotland more easily than many of the LL teams.

19 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

@sailorcowdenis spot on.  You either give up completely (don’t give up Rovers fans) or look on it as positively as you can.

There are some cracking away trips to be had as pointed out, though Bo’ness on a freezing December night couple with a wretched performance was not to be recommended.

Yeah, I think that's how most if us see it, or will come to see it as the new season approaches.

We're in the Lowland League, because we aren't good enough for League 2 at the moment, and we'll probably be here for a while. Best to make the most of it.

Sorry for any club relegated. But all clubs will find their level, that’s what the pyramid is for. Enjoy your time next year playing clubs that you’ve never played before and maybe you’ll return in the future, better for the experience.

I know a couple of Rovers fans and that’s their attitude. However, you should be emailing your club to ensure that they vote against this ridiculous Conference League