C**** on Holiday

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Aye, I get what you mean from that point of view.

I think for me, mostly because I spent so long working in pubs, tipping is second nature anyway and already factored into what I'm spending. Generally I tip a quid a round when I am at home, or 1 franc here, so I guess I would be looking at a dollar a beer in the US which I am led to believe is the expected rate in a pub anyway. All that said, I still disagree wholeheartedly with those in the industry that take advantage of it and deliberately pay lower wages than they otherwise would have to if tipping wasn't a thing.

Agree totally. My first job was serving food in my local pub aged 13. I think it has maybe given me a fairly biased view on the role of tipping ever since.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that really boils my piss when in Canada or the USA is sales tax not being included on price tags... you need to add 13-18% on every purchase to get the cost you actually pay.

I don't want to be doing mental arithmetic on my holidays. Just show me the price I have to pay you utter p***ks. 

Generally, I tip the bar staff and servers at my local somewhere between 20% and 30%. It's always sensible to keep the bar staff happy.

Going back to the US egg thing, it's not the white shells I find weird, but the yolks aren't yellow enough. And while I'm at it, my kingdom for a slice of bread that doesn't disintegrate when dipped in a bowl of homemade lentil soup. And some square sausage, please. And proper bacon.

16 hours ago, milton75 said:

When I was in Prague we went to the same place for breakfast every day. My mates were firing into some full cooked breakfast, but I couldn't face that. It was quite a nice restaurant though, and (bizarrely) was serving chicken consomme from 11am each day. It was properly made and really nice. I would get a bowl of it, and sip the chickeny goodness until my hangover abated.

There is something in this. The best hangover cure I ever had was a whole roast chicken in Brugges.

28 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

One thing that really boils my piss when in Canada or the USA is sales tax not being included on price tags... you need to add 13-18% on every purchase to get the cost you actually pay.

I don't want to be doing mental arithmetic on my holidays. Just show me the price I have to pay you utter p***ks. 

As a Canadian, this grinds my gears as well.  When I was in Europe last month it was so refreshing to actually be paying the price advertised not adding the sales tax when you get to the register

33 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Not sure about the states but I know in Ontario there are cases where the tax is exempt for some, my friend is a ‘status Indian’ who is exempt from paying the HST part of tax when he shows his status card. So the total price isn't always the same.

23 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Do the Americans actually all tip 20% themselves?

Yes. It's more or less mandatory and you're pretty much a social leper if you admit that you don't. I don't begrudge it to the wait staff - they almost all work hard for it, are taxed on it and usually have to share it with the kitchen staff, the guy who clears the table, the wee lassie who walks you the table and so on. It still pisses me off though; that restaurant and cafe owners are exempt from the minimum wage laws.

Just now, Torpar said:

Not sure about the states but I know in Ontario there are cases were the tax is exempt for some, my friend is a ‘status Indian’ who is exempt from paying the HST part of tax when he shows his status card.

That is true, there are also some items that don't have tax such as fruit and veg.

34 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The reason behind it is that there's no one uniform sales tax. It varies from state to state, county to county and city to city. There could well be 2 or 3 (or more) taxes being calculated in there with perhaps one of them only in place through the end of next year, until for example, that convention center is paid for. So you can have situations where the final price of a tin of beans in Edinburgh might be slightly different than East Lothian. Taxes can also vary from product to product - hotel rooms having taxes that food doesn't etc. 

9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

The reason behind it is that there's no one uniform sales tax. It varies from state to state, county to county and city to city. There could well be 2 or 3 (or more) taxes being calculated in there with perhaps one of them only in place through the end of next year, until for example, that convention center is paid for. So you can have situations where the final price of a tin of beans in Edinburgh might be slightly different than East Lothian. Taxes can also vary from product to product - hotel rooms having taxes that food doesn't etc. 

I understand that. But I don't care about  any of that shit. I just want to know that the price I see on an item is the price I'm going to have to pay. Especially in this day and age with more and more electronic price points. 

4 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I understand that. But I don't care about  any of that shit. I just want to know that the price I see on an item is the price I'm going to have to pay. Especially in this day and age with more and more electronic price points. 

Can't help you mate, sorry.

30 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Benefits of small government and states' rights imo

lGUTNIg.png

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Yes. It's more or less mandatory and you're pretty much a social leper if you admit that you don't. I don't begrudge it to the wait staff - they almost all work hard for it, are taxed on it and usually have to share it with the kitchen staff, the guy who clears the table, the wee lassie who walks you the table and so on. It still pisses me off though; that restaurant and cafe owners are exempt from the minimum wage laws.

It's different in California. Servers need to get at least the minimum wage which is $14 a hour in SF. Tips are extra.
I'd say 20% here is a really good tip. Unless they go out their way to make the service fantastic then I'll give 12-15%.

I do tip higher in states where tips make up the servers wages. You don't tip, they don't get paid.

Archived