C**** on Holiday

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/holiday-flight-hell-mum-drinks-13850929

A MUM got so drunk on a plane to Egypt she “went crazy” - punching a flight attendant, biting a fellow passenger and threatening to “rip the head off” cabin crew.

Bernadette Briggs of St Andrews Road, St Helens lashed out during the landing of a Thomas Cook flight from Manchester to Egypt, leaving her fellow passengers and crew traumatised.

The 39-year-old, a senior staff member at a residential boys’ school, had bought a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin on board the flight.

Manchester Magistrates Court heard how after the episode, crew found a ‘nearly empty’ gin bottle under her seat, reports the Mancheste Evening News .

Appearing before the court, a tearful Briggs pleaded guilty to being drunk on board an aircraft, assaulting a cabin crew and a passenger, as well as behaving in a threatening manner to air crew.

Alan Bakker, prosecuting, told the court how Briggs was travelling with her sister on June 23, when just 10 minutes before landing she stood up and started to shout and swear at fellow passengers.

After cabin crew and other passengers told her to sit down, she responded by swearing at them while ‘swaying about and slurring her words.’

At one point, she threatened to ‘rip the f***ing head off’ a crew member as the plan landed - causing a senior staff member to step-in to try and calm her down.

Briggs then attacked crew member Madison Priest from behind, punching her in the shoulder and forcing her to fall into passengers across the aisle.

SAP__MEN_BRIGGS______05JPG.jpg
Bernadette Briggs ‘went crazy’ on gin during landing on the Thomas Cook flight from Manchester to Egypt (Image: Manchester evening news)

She then went ‘completely crazy’ - shouting, swearing and violently swinging her arms.

When passenger Noel Johnson - who was on a ‘second honeymoon’ with his wife - attempted to restrain her in an arm lock, he was bitten and scratched by Briggs.

The captain of the aircraft then arrived at the scene, where he ‘smelt alcohol’ and saw Briggs punching the air and kicking her legs while in an arm lock.

Ground crew arrived to help and police were also called, before Briggs was sent to hospital where she spent 24 hours.

Her behaviour delayed the aircraft and cost the airline as a result.

SAP__MEN_BRIGGS______08JPG.jpg
Bernadette Briggs ‘went crazy’ on gin during landing on the Thomas Cook flight from Manchester to Egypt (Image: Manchester evening news)

In a victim statement, cabin crew Madison Priest said the experience was the ‘most disturbing’ she’d seen and had made her question her career. She was left bruised by the assault - and was unable to perform on a subsequent flight to Cuba because she was ‘on edge’.

Briggs, worked previously at a secure unit looking after troubled teenagers. She is now booked in for counselling.

Passenger Noel Johnson said the first days of his holiday - a ‘second honeymoon following a period of illness’ - were ruined. He said he’d had to step in to help cabin crew who seemed ‘inexperienced’ to deal with the level of aggression and violence, adding: “I wish to see this woman prosecuted for my injuries.”

Thomas Cook banned Briggs from her return flight, the court heard.

SAP__MEN_BRIGGS______02JPG.jpg

Defending, David Abbott told the court Briggs had suffered a ‘psychotic episode’ from combining medication and ‘too much to drink’.

Describing the incident as ‘unpleasant and troubling’, he added: “The bulk of the poor behaviour took place when the aircraft was on the ground.”

He said there was no suggestion that Briggs, who he described as ashamed, remorseful and apologetic, had endangered the aircraft.

Branding the case ‘extremely serious’ magistrates deemed their powers insufficient and adjourned for sentencing at crown court.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, nsr said:

Can't quite see the attraction of getting plastered on a plane, myself.

Me either, especially when flying into North America or any country that requires you to clear customs.  F**k trying to talk to some angry Yank with a gun while pished

36 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Whilst Bernadette is obviously to blame, you're not supposed to neck booze you've bought on board so some c**t's not doing their job properly.

Plus there's obviously a claim on its way:

Passenger Noel Johnson said the first days of his holiday - a ‘second honeymoon following a period of illness’ - were ruined. He said he’d had to step in to help cabin crew who seemed ‘inexperienced’ to deal with the level of aggression and violence, adding: “I wish to see this woman prosecuted for my injuries.”

Probably because they are trolley dollies and not bouncers

On 02/10/2017 at 08:00, Boghead ranter said:

Stooshie on my flight home to GLA yesterday.

2-4-2 seating configuration, maw, paw and 2 weans get on, sit in the 4 near me.   10 mins later, another family of 4 gets on, challenges them about sitting in their seats.  "Naw, yer wrang, there are oor seats" the first family says.  Same occurs back and forth a couple of times.

Cabin crew lassie gets involved, and offers the 2nd family the option to sit in the 1st family's original seats, since party size was same.  2nd family dad, for some reason, checks the growing, impatient queue in the aisle behind him, sighs, and accepts this offer.  Scumbag  maw of 1st family says "Magic, that's sorted then.  Oor seats are 26A & C, and 32 A & C.  Just back therr I think".

2nd family change their mind at this point.

It took the cabin crew lassie every ounce of her training and experience to get the 1st family to move to their correct seats.

c***s.

So 1st family just got on and sat where they liked?

You are right......c***s.

On 03/11/2017 at 12:37, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Whilst Bernadette is obviously to blame, you're not supposed to neck booze you've bought on board so some c**t's not doing their job properly.

Plus there's obviously a claim on its way:

Not in any way disputing that the woman is a c**t. But why did the newspaper story refer to her as a 'mum'? Her kids weren't on board (it says she was travelling with her sister) so why is it relevant that she has previously spawned?

Not in any way disputing that the woman is a c**t. But why did the newspaper story refer to her as a 'mum'? Her kids weren't on board (it says she was travelling with her sister) so why is it relevant that she has previously spawned?

Because it was either write “mother” or “unemployed” (I assume, I’ve not actually read the story but it seems likely). Mother to generate sympathy, unemployed to generate disdain.

45 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Because it was either write “mother” or “unemployed” (I assume, I’ve not actually read the story but it seems likely). Mother to generate sympathy, unemployed to generate disdain.

She's from St. Helen's, female and over 15. Near-certainty.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

I've read "tattooed" as a description of someone before. WTF?????

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Do you think Brian Sewell had tats? 

I feel in 2017 saying someone is tattooed is a lot like saying they have 10 fingers.

Maybe 20 years ago you could say something about their inkings when people were less tolerant and more judgemental.

For the record I don't have any as I'm an upstanding member of the community 

11 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I feel in 2017 saying someone is tattooed is a lot like saying they have 10 fingers.

Maybe 20 years ago you could say something about their inkings when people were less tolerant and more judgemental.

For the record I don't have any as I'm an upstanding member of the community 

You're right - their prevalence is overwhelming but "tattooed thug" or "tattooed reality star" is tabloid code. They're saying heavy accent, sunbeded tae f**k, unlikely to be massively academic etc

Archived