Teachers of P&B

My graphics teacher in 6th year used to let us listen to music. Used to let us put music on in the class until one clown put on Blow My Whistle Bitch. This was pre-2010 though, very little smart phone proliferation. Good guy. Morton fan. Hi Dave, if you're reading.

I'm in primary, which I imagine is somewhat different, but our policy is phones are switched off and handed in to the class teacher at the start of the day and kept in a locked cupboard. Having a phone out at any point during the day is an instant lunchtime reflection.

7 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I don't know much  about this, as not a teacher and left school in 2005. Is disruption worse with phones than it was was before them?

I'm told that there's been a marked improvement in attainment, especially in English and in spelling in particular. 

14 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm in primary, which I imagine is somewhat different, but our policy is phones are switched off and handed in to the class teacher at the start of the day and kept in a locked cupboard. Having a phone out at any point during the day is an instant lunchtime reflection.

Yeah, unfortunately telling 17 year olds that you're going to lock their phones in a cupboard for 7 hours doesn't quite fly. Maybe actually a S1-S3 / S4-6 split in rules might work in secondaries.

I was talking to a P7 teacher and she was saying that, ahead of moving up, the thing they all talk about looking forward to is having access to their phone all day.

15 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Whats a lunchtime reflection? Is it just a detention with a slightly more positive slant on the word? Or is it something different?

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Yeah, unfortunately telling 17 year olds that you're going to lock their phones in a cupboard for 7 hours doesn't quite fly. Maybe actually a S1-S3 / S4-6 split in rules might work in secondaries.

I was talking to a P7 teacher and she was saying that, ahead of moving up, the thing they all talk about looking forward to is having access to their phone all day.

I sometimes question whether I belong in this world. This is one of those times.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Whats a lunchtime reflection? Is it just a detention with a slightly more positive slant on the word? Or is it something different?

They put your food in a mirror and you're not allowed to eat it.

On 23/04/2024 at 18:14, sparky88 said:

I don't know much  about this, as not a teacher and left school in 2005. Is disruption worse with phones than it was was before them?

It's exponentially worse. Back then phones were little more than bricks. Now they are mini computers with apps explicitly designed by people much cleverer than you or I to be addictive and time-sucking.

On 03/04/2024 at 20:32, scottsdad said:

The school my daughter goes to, they call the teachers Sir and Miss.

Weirdos.

Are they allowed by law to do that with this “pronoun” terminology used these days? 😂 

On 20/04/2024 at 16:06, TxRover said:

Any attempts are this sort of thing in the more affluent suburbs run into the “But I have to be able to get in touch with Deirdre in case Chas shoots up the school” parent revolts. The more, shall we say, rugged districts have had some luck with locking pouches, but they’re fooling themselves if they think they don’t have ways around it (surreptitiously linked devices, burner phones, “extra” phones, etc).

IMG_9273.thumb.webp.5c36d278400c3b8cb77ef3f3cb56bbb1.webp

Gonna need a bigger batch….

On 03/04/2024 at 20:32, scottsdad said:

The school my daughter goes to, they call the teachers Sir and Miss.

Weirdos.

Used to do that when I was at school, only the ones I respected right enough.

Was playing in the school cup and the jani was one of the coaches. Praised me and I said "cheers, sir". Poor cúnt nearly started crying saying nobody had ever called him sir. :lol:

On 23/04/2024 at 17:29, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

It’s times like this I realise that some posters on P&B are so much younger than me. 

What is a “reflection” - is that some modern day thinking time?

In my day we’d have just got the belt by whatever sadistic teachers felt like dishing out some brutal violence. 

IMG_9274.jpeg.68018a66a9d0716e52e0708b5303e86b.jpeg

We were Mr, Mrs, Miss [name].

When I was in 6th year I went to the pub in Alloa, clearly only 17 but tall so got away with it. Bumped into my old history teacher and spent the night calling him David. he never grassed me up. My older siblings often drank with him too.

He is buried near my uncle - I always say hello when at the cemetery. Wouldn't do that for "Sir".

Edited by scottsdad
Fucking typos

So, a nearby High School (last 4 years) is now on lockdown due to a shooting. Occurred on campus, outside a portable classroom, but the police will only say one person is in hospital in critical condition, and will not say if it’s a student. The school, and a block or so around, it is closed down…the students were being held in the stadium until they could be bussed 6 miles to a “reunion center” to be released (their backpacks, books, laptops, cars, etc are all locked down at the campus). Parents/guardians are being directed to the reunion center, but are currently sitting in their vehicles waiting to present ID to get their student released…this is now 2-3 hours after the event. After all those students are released, I’ve no idea what they’ll do with the remaining students without a parent/guardian to “recover” them…they’re 6 miles away from the school, and Arlington has no public transit.

This is the situation that parents say means their students need their cell phones. Basically, any student without a cell phone is unable to let their family know they’re OK unless friends can help them. It’s a s**t argument, but necessary in today’s ’Murica.its also why kids as young as 8 or less are increasingly showing up at school with cell phones here.

1. Phones: our school policy is to collect them during morning "Mentor" time (think registration) prior to period 1. They get them back at afternoon "Mentor" (last "class" of the day), dismissal also runs at this time. Phones are kept in secure locking desk/file cabinet. If a student doesn't hand in a phone ("I didn't bring it today") them admin staff call home for confirmation (or sometimes just call the student's phone). 

2. Addressing staff: Students at said school use staff first names, e.g. I'm "Raider" not Mr. Nation, or Sir.

Mind you, it's a small school and all students are referred to us by their school district because they are neurodivergent and have social/emotional issues which mean they can't be successful in a general education setting.

P.S. I'm calling this my current school but there's a decent probability it may not be for much longer as I'm on my 3rd "lengthy" absence of this school year (all genuine and approved by insurance). My current absence started on April 3rd with a trip to the Emergency Room and 9 days in hospital, in bed as I was/am a fall risk. Since the 11th I've been in a care facility so I can get physical and occupational therapy.