Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have to echo others here.  Despite the happy clappers in the media, we were pretty mediocre for most of the Malta game. Far too reticent and lacking in confidence for most of the match. The last 20 minutes or so were negative and cagey - Malta could've easily nicked at least one goal. I think the best we can hope for from the Slovakia and Slovenia games are two draws.

Griffiths tries hard but can't replicate his Celtic form against even pisspoor opposition like Malta. Brown did ok - against Malta - but should've seen red for him playing his hardman act again. There were some positives but not enough.

Whilst I agree the tempo and final score was poor your comments on Griffith and Brown I don't agree with.

They train and play with their clubs all day every day. They have a rapport with Celtic that is tough to replicate with players from all over in the national side. For Griffith to score 3 and assist 3 in as many games is as good a striker as we've had in the last few campaigns. He's confident, enjoying his football and has been patient in his relationship with WGS. I think he will continue to score goals for us. He's our best option and in a club team that is invincible presently. Rodgers is a big part of aiding his mentality. Not just WGS who only sees him a few times a year.

Brown has got fit, got over his niggly injuries and also is super confident playing in a much improved Celtic side who have qualified for ECL 2 years straight. Rodgers has influenced his decision to aid Scotland in a push to qualify. Whilst it wasn't his best performance he strolled the game and on top of that kept his head. He knew any reaction would see him potentially seeing yellow or maybe red. He didn't react when that scumbag spat on him. He showed maturity and seems focused in his approach for Scotland.

Slightly harsh to suggest he should have been sent off. Didn't think he put a foot wrong on that end. He spoke well after match also.

End of the day we did what was needed. We may look back at the Lithuania home draw and last minute Kane equalizer if we don't make the play off as there is no doubt we should be at least 2 points better off. But WGS has literally changed the team from that night at home v the Lithuanians. With Robertson, Tierney, Armstrong, Griffith, Phillips, and likes of Fraser, Burke and players like Fletcher's, Maloney no longer in first XI you can't say WGS has at least tried some new blood who are playing for sides with confidence and form. I'm no Celtic fan but it makes sense to play these players due to their energy, form and confidence.

International football is tough. Even against likes of Malta and other smallest nations in UEFA. I think we sometimes don't realize how much goes into trying to mold the right team for each game. We've struggled but we can now qualify. It won't be easy and is a long shot but if we beat Slovakia at home we set up a cup final with Slovenia. Which makes it at least interesting for the nation.

So Wales are now in second in their group with 14 points. Does that make us the lowest of the second place teams just now?
Suppose it's the Scottish way :lol: 
EDIT if we finish second of course!!!

As it stands we're OK if we win our last 2 and either Wales (Georgia away, Ireland home) or Bosnia (Belgium home, Estonia away) drop any points at all.

Obviously Bosnia at home to Belgium is the eye catcher at the moment.

40 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

So Wales are now in second in their group with 14 points. Does that make us the lowest of the second place teams just now?

Suppose it's the Scottish way :lol: 

EDIT if we finish second of course!!!

It's more complicated than that, as the results against the bottom team in each group don't count. This means that for the second place contest we're currently on 8 points with a goal difference of...erm...-2. :unsure2:

Fortunately, some poor results over the weekend from the likes of Ireland and Bosnia, an insane amount of draws from Wales, and some absolute dead-heats in groups E and H means that we've still got a chance. I actually think it's a good thing that Slovakia got that winner against Slovenia the other night though, as it's made everyone accept that we need six points - we would have needed to achieve this regardless to avoid being the worst runner up.

On the bright side, the play-off seeding isn't as bleak as I'd assumed before I had a look at the World Rankings tonight. Loads of fairly average teams like Wales, Northern Ireland, Sweden and Iceland stand a good chance of being seeded. The Netherlands won't be seeded even if they do make it, which is unlikely. If Portugal can beat Switzerland in their final game then the only team seeded team who we'd clearly have absolutely no chance against over 2 legs would be Italy, so only a 1/4 chance of certain elimination.

Much the same reason Martin does.  Both of them are a very specific type of player.  Martin isn't shite, but he's made to look as such with what we're asking him to do.  Ritchie is far from shite too, but if we're wanting to play with width and getting players beyond the full-backs rather than cutting back inside, then he's going to look shit too.

I think that we do need a pacy right footed winger on the right simply because the supporting full back is left footed and happier cutting inside. This worked really well against Lithuania, but Forrest was utter gash last night.

Ritchie would work much better with a Hutton-type right back in the same way Robertson is combining well with Phillips down the left providing width while Phillips cuts onto his right foot.

Like most people, I'm pretty fed up of Forrest, so I'm hoping longer term Burke makes a big impact at WBA and forms a partnership with Phillips (not replacing him in the team).

Just as a side note, Scotland must be pretty unique in world football in that we have a left footed right back!

58 minutes ago, Meadow_Jock said:

It's more complicated than that, as the results against the bottom team in each group don't count. This means that for the second place contest we're currently on 8 points with a goal difference of...erm...-2. :unsure2:

does this rule also apply to the group 2nd place position as ITV going on about Scotland's failure to score more goals against Malta has resulted in us dropping to 4th spot?

What happened to the head to head placing system?

does this rule also apply to the group 2nd place position as ITV going on about Scotland's failure to score more goals against Malta has resulted in us dropping to 4th spot?
What happened to the head to head placing system?

Head to head comes after GD and goals scored.

So basically there is no point trying to work out the if's and but's until the group stages are over? :lol: 

A 2nd place table with the results v bottom excluded was posted on Sky Sports twitter last night and Slovakia were the 3rd best. Sure the team in 9th had 8 points.

I think 20 (14) should do it.

So basically there is no point trying to work out the if's and but's until the group stages are over? [emoji38] 

More or less, but if we beat Slovakia and either Bosnia or Wales drop points against Belgium or Georgia in their 2nd last games we know that a win in Slovenia will definitely see us into the play offs, regardless of any other final round game results.

Thought Tierney looked pretty poor tonight, so much more one footed than normal imo. Still love him though. Other than that everybody was ok. Robertson and Armstrong probably top boys.

Hopefully Roberts breaks into the Celtic team ahead of Forrest so Fraser can take over there.

Not a fan of Forrest and I think it's glaringly obvious to everyone that Roberts is a better player but I hope Forrest somehow manages to keep his place. I'd rather see Fraser get a chance for Scotland too but we need as many Scots playing regularly as possible, especially in the Champions League.

As for the performance against Malta, it was all about the 3 points. The players gave everything against Lithuania, looked a bit leggy. Also 24 hours previously France drew 0-0 with Luxembourg, there are no guaranteed results. Malta are a stuffy lowest seed team who aren't afraid to stick the boot in. 3 points, 6 out of 6, 2 clean sheets so job done and we move on.

Guest DAVIDB69
 A 2nd place table with the results v bottom excluded was posted on Sky Sports twitter last night and Slovakia were the 3rd best. Sure the team in 9th had 8 points.

I think 20 (14) should do it.

Technically we have 8 at the moment for second place purposes and if it was decided today we would be the worst second placer.

A draw with wales Ireland next month would ensure that two wins would ensure we are not the worst second placer I think

Archived