St Johnstone v Partick Thistle

RandomGuy.

Surprised there's no thread for this, suppose it sums up how often we play each other these days.

No idea what to expect from Thistle, assume they'll use the 3-5-2 which caused us problems last season, but apparently Doolan will miss this?

We'll likely make a couple of changes, midfield started to look a bit leggy in the second half. Would rather we went with a five man midfield.

Mannus

Foster

Anderson

Shaughnessy

Easton

Millar

Craig

Alston

Wotherspoon

Scougall

MacLean

Wouldn't be far off what I'd like. Depends on how fit MOH is, if he's capable of an hour then replace Alston with him.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea what to expect from Thistle, assume they'll use the 3-5-2 which caused us problems last season, but apparently Doolan will miss this?

We'll play our usual sh**ey 4-2-3-1, Nisbet will do f**k all up front etc. just a regular day at the office. 8)

Doolan will most likely be out, which is a massive blow if we haven't signed a new striker before the game; a very likely scenario.

I've generally been confident going to McDiarmid the past couple of years, because we seem to know how to play against St Johnstone there and have had some good results, but considering we have no strikers, Archie's disdain for the cups (this one in particular) and the fact that Saints got their season off to a good start yesterday, I think we'll really struggle here. 2-0 defeat and the standard wailing from Thistle fans about negative football.

Archie to spend the journey up trying to recruit guys he finds at service stations to play up front for us.

I expect well get a scudding from Celtic on Friday, as we usually do at Firhill, so this ones very important given the nightmare run of fixtures we've got afterwards.

3-5-2 would mean us having 2 strikers, which we don't.

Cerny

Nitrianksy Keown Turnbull Booth

Osman Barton

Erskine Edwards Bannigan Lawless

<tumbleweed>

Spoiler

Image result for craig levein thumbs up

Seriously, get some (more) game time for Milan, Turnbull, Keown, Osman. If we can shitfest a result like last time we went to McDiarmid in a cup - that time it was with no full backs- then that'll be incredible.

Already excited at the prospect of Partick Thistle's liquid football tomorrow evening. 

I wonder if Tommy will be tempted to make changes to our midfield and strikeforce as we more or less have two very decent line ups there? I'm not sure what Easton/Anderson's fitness levels are like. If there's any doubt whatsoever, I'd rather we rested them too.

I'd be tempted to go;

Mannus

Foster Anderson/Gilchrist Shaughnessy Easton/Tanser

Millar Craig

Wotherspoon Scougall O'Halloran

Maclean

Think Wright may go;

Mannus

Foster Anderson Shaughnessy Easton

Wotherspoon Millar Craig O'Halloran

Kane Maclean

Hopefully we do what we did on Saturday and just put anyone within 40 yards of our goal up in the air. The quinoa and craft gin fuelled protestations from the visiting fans will be a joy to behold.

Thistle to dominate possession but Saints to take a first half lead through Steven Maclean.  Second half Saints clinch it with 2 scintillating breakaway goals in the last 10 minutes.

Despite scoring two more of the finest goals Scottish football has ever seen, Thistle fans and mainstream media match analysis will focus on Saints 'managing the game', 'being professional' and 'being streetwise'.

Final score 3-0 Saints.

Old Tommy bemoaning lack of praise for St Johnstone, again...

Won't be any new players for tonight due to signing deadlines. Thistle obviously have a Doolan shaped hole in our forward line however I feel we have players in the squad to be competitive tonight.

I'd go with Cerny behind a back three of Devine, Barton and Keown. Elliott, Osman, Bannigan and Booth in front of them with a front three of Spittall/ Edwards, Erskine and Lawless.

Apparently we can name up to 18 players for the match day squad in this competition. I doubt we'll be near that but the squad is filling up a bit. Also we have a chance of seeing our first fourth substitute if we go to extra time.

Don't care how we do it, I'd just like to get through to the next round as it'll give the squad a boost in confidence ahead of some tough league fixtures.

This Nesbit boy is scoring the winner, too much negativity around him.

A lot of Thistle fans don't appreciate that the likes of Nisbet and to a degree Pogba don't have the dancing feet of Doolan, Erskine and Lawless...

15 hours ago, Widge said:

Bet it's a massive shitfest.

As long as we win it, I'll no be giving the slightest of fucks......... ;) 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This Nesbit boy is scoring the winner, too much negativity around him.

If it goes to penalties , both your keepers have been sent off, and he can break into a walk on the way up to the spot....then it's a 50/50 shout.

Love to be proved wrong but looks miles out of his depth at this (and by all accounts championship re loan with Ayr) level.

The fact there's chat of playing Christie Elliot at centre forward tonight where it must be c5+ years since he last played there tells you all you need to know !

Just now, Sick in the Basin said:

The fact there's chat of playing Christie Elliot at centre forward tonight where it must be c5+ years since he last played there tells you all you need to know !

Or Ryan Edwards, who has played there... never.

Archived