The Worst Posters in P&B History (2017 Edition)

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Don't think it's that drastic on the school day thing. Late afternoon seemed to be when kids were going home in the part of Japan I was in (Tohoku region of Honshu rather than Shikoku island) much the same way as in Scotland. School maybe starts a wee bit earlier though as 8:30 tends to be the start of the workday in Japan rather than 9:00. Cram school would be extra lessons paid for by parents in evenings and on Sundays.

I lived out in Kuwait for a while when I was in my early teens - if I'm remembering right the school day started at about 06:00 AM (had to get up while it was still pitch black outside to get ready for school) and finished before lunchtime, presumably since the midday sun out there very often hit between 35 - as high as 50 degrees celsius and you'd a) be sweltering in class even with the aircon on, making it a bit hard to concentrate on work when you're sweating profusely and b) so that younger kids at the school didn't end up passing out or roasting to death from the heat (elf n' safety gone mad, innit). Made it a bit easier on any poor souls that had a long walk home, anyway. Thinking on it I'm also pretty sure it would go from being nearly blindingly hot to suddenly being pitch black in the space of about 5 minutes with the sun pretty much vanishing at between 3PM - 4.30PM depending on what month you were in!

It was a Wednesday to Sunday schoolweek, too, although I honestly can't remember why. I *think* they had slightly later starts and finishes during the winter months but tbh even then it tended to be pretty toasty.

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I lived out in Kuwait for a while when I was in my early teens - if I'm remembering right the school day started at about 06:00 AM (had to get up while it was still pitch black outside to get ready for school) and finished before lunchtime, presumably since the midday sun out there very often hit between 35 - as high as 50 degrees celsius and you'd a) be sweltering in class even with the aircon on, making it a bit hard to concentrate on work when you're sweating profusely and b) so that younger kids at the school didn't end up passing out or roasting to death from the heat (elf n' safety gone mad, innit). Made it a bit easier on any poor souls that had a long walk home, anyway. Thinking on it I'm also pretty sure it would go from being nearly blindingly hot to suddenly being pitch black in the space of about 5 minutes with the sun pretty much vanishing at between 3PM - 4.30PM depending on what month you were in!

It was a Wednesday to Sunday schoolweek, too, although I honestly can't remember why. I *think* they had slightly later starts and finishes during the winter months but tbh even then it tended to be pretty toasty.

Is your memory serving you correctly? The weekend in the Middle East is Thursday and Friday, so the school week would be Saturday to Wednesday, possibly a Thursday morning in some countries.

19 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Is your memory serving you correctly? The weekend in the Middle East is Thursday and Friday, so the school week would be Saturday to Wednesday, possibly a Thursday morning in some countries.

Allegedly, people in Kuwait don't like The Flintstones.

But the people in Abu Dhabi do.

I thank you.

1 minute ago, Fide said:

Allegedly, people in Kuwait don't like The Flintstones.

But the people in Abu Dhabi do.

I thank you.

Incidentally on the point of being utterly pedantic, (as is my wont),  it's a UAE joke. People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones, but.....................................

Do some posters post exclusively in the politics forum? That's not the first user I've never heard of to appear on the list.

Baxter has been around for some time 6k posts+. Rarely seem him/her outwith the politics forum. Guess some people are looking for political platforms to debate; and p&b provides one.