Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

37 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Yip. They're at the point of no return. They've asked for a legal referendum and were denied, they've asked for dialogue regarding further powers and were denied.
The EU will lose a lot of support if the Catalans declare independence, Spain bin the Catalan parliament and the EU do nothing.
People deserve a vote on their future.

Some of the commentariat claim because Catalunya has a parliament they cannot therefore be legally "oppressed" and therefore do not fall under international law.  Wait with ears open for their reversal of opinion when Spain gets rid of all Catalan autonomy.

by the by, international law on these matters are for the bucket.  Can claim and counter claim but it's all about political will. 

I love how English commentators who have little knowledge of the situation just opine Spain is a democracy and all good.  The language and culture was oppressed in living memory.   It's not like the Scottish clearances.   It's not like north korea or Africa but you can still be oppressed without being shot.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

There is no benefit whatever to UDI.

No-one will recognise it, it will likely mean suspension of Catalan parliament and the pro Indy moderates won't like it.

It's a shite state of affairs but despite their legitimate grievances the Catalan independence movement needs to play the game in Europe and put pressure on for a Madrid recognised referendum. This might not happen today or even next year.

Eu will never recognise it or push Spain unti it's forced.  We've been trying for years.   I don't want UDI either but without  UDI i see no pressure on Spain to do anything.

If SNP said they wanted a referendum for 5 years and every year they say no.  And everyone looks the other way, what do you do?

1 minute ago, tirso said:

Eu will never recognise it or push Spain unti it's forced.  We've been trying for years.   I don't want UDI either but without  UDI i see no pressure on Spain to do anything.

If SNP said they wanted a referendum for 5 years and every year they say no.  And everyone looks the other way, what do you do?

I tend to agree with this.  Problem is I think Catalonia expected Spain to be more conciliatory at this point.  Since their being hard nosed instead I think UDI is the only option.  That or capitulation.

33 minutes ago, tirso said:

TBH no one gave a monkeys about Catalonia until the other week.

It's on the international agenda now, the challenge is to keep it there without completely alienating potential allies.

UDI doesn't put any pressure on Spain whatsoever, everyone can just dismiss it as illegitimate.

TBH I'm not 100% convinced with what I'm saying as ,like I said, Spain have behaved abysmally as have the EU, it's just my best guess at what might achieve the end game in long term.

Edited by invergowrie arab