Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

37 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Big day today. Does puigdemont turn up for work? He has to imo. If he gets arrested it just condemns Spain's actions further.

I thought there was a general strike called? Or does that not apply to separists politicians?

20 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

I didn't know there was a strike called, just a peaceful opposition.

Those dastardly separatists eh...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41798254

You're right, no mention of a strike in that report, I must have imagined it, or else it was one of the options being considered.

But whoever wrote that headline is going to get his knuckles rapped for going off message "independence" indeed!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41798254
You're right, no mention of a strike in that report, I must have imagined it, or else it was one of the options being considered.
But whoever wrote that headline is going to get his knuckles rapped for going off message "independence" indeed!

Must be a rogue reporter with journalistic integrity...good for them!

On 10/27/2017 at 17:38, welshbairn said:

Where are you? Pais Vasco  or Podemos voting against is hardly breaking news surely?

I just thought it was worth mentioning for context to an international audience - not that it is surprising.  It was worth commenting too that the PSOE 's version of 155 could be very different from the PP.    

I'm in the Spanish Republic of Edinburgo!  

I think the most important thing to me is what the majority of Catalans think.  I think it's probable there is a majority but it is not clear.  

If you say 38% of a whole electorate coming out under oppression to vote - that is a lot of people and it is the hardcore.  That is not including some stolen sheets.  There are many people who would vote Yes that are 'less hardcore' that haven't actually voted...

I'm sure there were a lot of soft Yes voters who were convinced for Scotland's vote in 2014 in the last few days.   There are a lot of similar people in Catalonia.  To say it is only 38% is logically unlikely.

20% of people never bother voting at all so this has to be thought through.  On balance the Catalan government believes there is a popular majority so this is what is being followed.  They might be wrong though.

On 10/28/2017 at 20:32, welshbairn said:

I think he wanted to call a quick election but was overruled by his colleagues. That would have been the way to go, Rajoy has called one anyway for December. UDI without a clear mandate gives everyone a party, but nothing else.

On the Puigdemont question...

32 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

It's all getting a bit weird as rumours of  Puigdemont and other Catalan leaders in Belgium seeking political asylum. 

I've read that Belgium offered him political asylum and Spain have issued a 6 million Euro bail amount on him and also they are going to charge senior Catalan Gov personnel with sedition and rebellion.

Edited by SandyCromarty
addition

What a mess.

I think the key thing to always remember in the fallout is that Spain were never going to grant permission for an official referendum on Independence. Look at the way they behaved after that unofficial referendum. They absolutely fucked it. Puigdemont and biys had no other alternative than to declare independence. They went #bawsoot like the absolute champions that they are. They might look like the bad guys in the news just now, they may look like they are in a corner with nowhere to go - but never forget what the Spanish Government did and why this all happened in the first place.

What a mess.
I think the key thing to always remember in the fallout is that Spain were never going to grant permission for an official referendum on Independence. Look at the way they behaved after that unofficial referendum. They absolutely fucked it. Puigdemont and biys had no other alternative than to declare independence. They went #bawsoot like the absolute champions that they are. They might look like the bad guys in the news just now, they may look like they are in a corner with nowhere to go - but never forget what the Spanish Government did and why this all happened in the first place.

Nice try.Puidgemont has been showboating and making it up as he goes along.Now he's ofski before the mess needs cleaned up.