Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The EU have been fuckin murder since this whole thing realy kicked off at the start of last month, they'v backed spain to the hilt and empowered them to act in the way they have including their comment about how they do not want member states fracturing, as if it should be any of their business at all,

Cant believe so many indy supporters are tripping over themselves to join the EU as if its the greatest thing ever. no point swapping one foreign ruler for another. thank f**k we're leaving

Is it the ruler? I thought Spain was the tyrannical autocrat here.

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

Is it the ruler? I thought Spain was the tyrannical autocrat here.

I'm well confused, does he think the EU should be bossing about a sovereign Government or do nothing as they currently are?

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I've decided I definitely want Catalonia to win. It makes it more interesting if you pick a side to support.

I think Madrid have ensured they will eventually. They'll never be trusted again.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm well confused, does he think the EU should be bossing about a sovereign Government or do nothing as they currently are?

They haven't done nothing tho have they? they've publicly backed Spain and Rajoy stating law and constitution , now if you were to swap Spain with Serbia I think their tone would be very different, The  EU would be quite within their right to sit back and say this is an internal matter for Spain and we will await the outcome, a statement about not wanting to set a precident with fractures in member states and so on is allowing the Spannish government to act the way they are. if they didn't have that backing they wouldn't be taking such a hard line,

The EU is only democratic when it suits them

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

They haven't done nothing tho have they? they've publicly backed Spain and Rajoy stating law and constitution , now if you were to swap Spain with Serbia I think their tone would be very different, The  EU would be quite within their right to sit back and say this is an internal matter for Spain and we will await the outcome, a statement about not wanting to set a precident with fractures in member states and so on is allowing the Spannish government to act the way they are. if they didn't have that backing they wouldn't be taking such a hard line,

The EU haven't recognised Kosovo because 5 of their member countries have blocked it. It's the member countries that decide things, on its own the EU have no powers to intervene.

14 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

So if Scotland joined the EU, it wouldn't be "swapping one foreign ruler for another", it would be joining a ... what ... union of nations which includes ones with dickhead governments, and has leaders that are democratic when it suits them? That's quite a difference from "swapping one foreign ruler for another". I agree that the EU has been pathetic on this, btw - but it's clearly not a "ruler" of its member states in the way the UK is.

12 minutes ago, Antlion said:

...I agree that the EU has been pathetic on this, btw - but it's clearly not a "ruler" of its member states in the way the UK is.

They do take action against member states sometimes when basic principles of liberal democracy are viewed as being under threat:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-poland-politics-eu/eu-starts-action-against-poland-over-judiciary-reforms-idUSKBN1AE0CD

Puigdemont seems to be getting a hard time back home for fucking off to Brussels instead of a Madrid jail. I personally think the guy's a bit of a dick, but forcing it to be a European issue means the EU have to get involved. It seems like people are getting put in prison for purely political and nonviolent acts. Europe has a a few rules about that kind of thing, and Belgium in particular has rules about extraditing people to countries where they may not get a fair trial, even EU members.