Squad face Slovenia and Slovakia

Am I mistaken in saying John McGinn made his debut for Scotland against one of 'the worlds best midfielders' in Christian Eriksen and got Man of the Match? The only thing that has held McGinn back is playing for Hibs and Scotland fans only need to look as far as Andy Robertson to judge the player not the club he plays for.

Someone using a Man of the Match award as indicative of a players quality. New moronic depths plumbed, boys and girls.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure McArthur, Forrest, Morrison and Phillips will be four of the five. I'm not saying that's what I'd go with but I reckon that's what Strachan will pick. The question then becomes where he plays Morrison. If it's in the 'Armstrong' role next to McArthur doing his Scott Brown impression, then I think he'll go with McGregor. If Morrison plays in the middle of the attacking three, I think he'll go with one of Bannan/Fletcher.

Rumour has it around 2,000 tickets left as of this morning. Hoping another 500+ are purchased at least in next 24hrs to make it a near enough sell out.

News bulletin on Radio Scotland just reported that only 45,000 tickets have been sold.

Just goes to show how the lack of weekend fixtures is stamping on the dying body of international football.

Where in my post did I use John McGinns Man of the Match award v Denmark as indicative of his quality? I merely stated a fact. It is up to others to take that fact and use it as a measure of his quality if they so wish. It is rather moronic failing to understand this and coming out with such comments.

I'd guess at Strachan sticking with as much of the starting XI from the Lithuania and Malta games as possible, and it wouldn't surprise me if Brown and Armstrong dropping out were the only two changes. I suppose he could be tempted to replace McArthur with Morrison, but I can't envisage him fiddling with anything else. 

I'm sure Forrest will start, but, hypothetically, if he were to drop out, that would likely require Phillips starting on the right to utilise his defensive discipline in offering cover to Tierney at right-back, which Fraser would be less likely to offer than either him or Forrest. Much of Phillips' game under Pulis at West Brom has been based on tracking back and offering assistance to the full-backs, regardless of whether he's deployed on the right or left, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about him hanging Tierney out to dry. 

I would probably start McGregor in-front of Fletcher and either McArthur or Morrison, but I can't see Strachan throwing McGregor straight in. I think he'll opt for Fletcher, Bannan and one of McArthur or Morrison as the central three. 

Where in my post did I use John McGinns Man of the Match award v Denmark as indicative of his quality? I merely stated a fact. It is up to others to take that fact and use it as a measure of his quality if they so wish. It is rather moronic failing to understand this and coming out with such comments.

You'd be aswell stating the fact McGinn can drink orange juice quicker than Morrison, as that's how relevant that MoM award is.

What a stunning retreat.

Where does Bannan play for Sheffield Wednesday? I hate it when he starts in that wide position and then spends the whole game cutting inside and trying to play cross field passes.

I've always found him like that annoying player everyone had in their Sunday League team who constantly demands the ball and wants to take every set-piece, but then never actually does anything with it. He kind of just gets in the way.

16 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

4-2-3-1.

Gordon

Tierney
cooper or Hanley
Berra
Robbo

Mulgrew
Bannan

Forrest
Morrison
Phillips

Griff

Going into this game with a pairing of Hanley and Berra gives me the fear. Both are average. Would always have Mulgrew back there for his composure and use of the all. Both something the previous two are crap at.

If Darren Fletcher wasn't to play I don't think he'd call him up tbf. 

Im convinced Morrison will get the nod in the holding positions alongside him. 

The one selection that is up in the air for me is the final midfield position in the five. It's between Snodgrass, Fraser or McGregor. Snodgrass has been a favourite of his. He'll get the nod IMO

Gordon

Tierney

Berra

Mulgrew

Robertson

D.Fletcher

Morrison

Forrest

Snodgrass

Phillips 

Griffiths

Where does Bannan play for Sheffield Wednesday? I hate it when he starts in that wide position and then spends the whole game cutting inside and trying to play cross field passes.
I've always found him like that annoying player everyone had in their Sunday League team who constantly demands the ball and wants to take every set-piece, but then never actually does anything with it. He kind of just gets in the way.

He plays in the middle in a fairly deep role. Seem him in a couple of recent Wednesday games on TV and he's probably been their best player both times.

46 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

If Darren Fletcher wasn't to play I don't think he'd call him up tbf.

He calls him up to literally every squad when he's fit.  He pulled out of the last squad injured, but he was on the bench for the England game, and has been a sub for quite a few other games too.

The wide players: the creative spark.    I've been hugely impressed with Robert mhak in this campaign.  

Forrest has 19 caps and 0 goals.    
Phillips has 6 caps and 0 goals.   

Out of interest has either of these players contributed an assist?     

Archived