LoveFilm By Post to close - 31/10/17

BFTD

I've been a member since the ScreenSelect days, so a bit sad to see LoveFilm bite the dust.

Amazon claim that everyone's switching to streaming, but the selection is shite by comparison - very reminiscent of the days when the local video rental stores were being killed off by Blockbuster, and suddenly you went from being able to choose from a massive library built up over years, to millions of copies of the newest releases and a small section of 'classics'. Only with Netflix et al, you've got a small selection of classics, and a massive pile of shite you'd only watch because you've already worked through the good stuff  <_<

Anyone have any suggestions for alternative postal DVD/Blu-Ray rental services? The only other one I've ever used is Blockbuster, and I understand they're not doing so well these days (oh dear, how sad, never mind).

9 hours ago, Mr X said:

I had no idea it was even still going.

Theres plenty of decent stuff on Netflix.

Drag yourself out of the 80s and watch Stranger Things

I'd rather watch what I want to, rather than the small sampler that Netflix have, and I've already worked my way through everything I'm interested in with them. I could type my top hundred DVDs that I want to rent from LoveFilm into Netflix and they wouldn't have any of them available. A streaming service that provides the choice of rental media would be great, but it isn't even close to existing.

Watching the TV shows that Netflix make themselves isn't going to help anyone who wants to watch a film, or even a TV show that Netflix haven't bought the rights to.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'd rather watch what I want to, rather than the small sampler that Netflix have, and I've already worked my way through everything I'm interested in with them. I could type my top hundred DVDs that I want to rent from LoveFilm into Netflix and they wouldn't have any of them available. A streaming service that provides the choice of rental media would be great, but it isn't even close to existing.

Watching the TV shows that Netflix make themselves isn't going to help anyone who wants to watch a film, or even a TV show that Netflix haven't bought the rights to.

Presumably then, they are either newer releases in which case why not look at NowTV or something. Or, they are older, more obscure, titles in which case just buy them!

Theres also plenty of movies on google play store. And theres always the illegal routes of course :lol:

I get what you're saying but you're going to be really hard pressed to justify a mail rental service as anything other than a very, very niche service.

ETA - and count yourself lucky not to get "downvoted" for ignoring my Stranger Things joke

Completely agree
I've binned Netflix for exactly that reason. Although its cheap there's so little choice that I couldn't justify it anymore

I liked LoveFilm, shame it's died. I found a lot of stuff on it I'd never have got with Netflix, which I've also never really bothered with. 

I did briefly think about getting a MUBI subscription.

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Presumably then, they are either newer releases in which case why not look at NowTV or something. Or, they are older, more obscure, titles in which case just buy them!

Theres also plenty of movies on google play store. And theres always the illegal routes of course :lol:

All options that are substantially more expensive than a rental service, the last of which does away with even needing an account with one of the streaming services.

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

I get what you're saying but you're going to be really hard pressed to justify a mail rental service as anything other than a very, very niche service.

ETA - and count yourself lucky not to get "downvoted" for ignoring my Stranger Things joke

What's wrong with niche services? I'm sure you use a few of them yourself, maybe some that are less popular than LoveFilm was.

Was your joke just that Stranger Things is set in the 80s? I've been working my way through Dexter over the past six months, so try something from that.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

All options that are substantially more expensive than a rental service, the last of which does away with even needing an account with one of the streaming services.

What's wrong with niche services? I'm sure you use a few of them yourself, maybe some that are less popular than LoveFilm was.

Was your joke just that Stranger Things is set in the 80s? I've been working my way through Dexter over the past six months, so try something from that.

Theres nothing wrong with nice services, but this is a very, very niche service now. Where do you draw the line? Is anyone out there lamenting the fact you cant buy VHS cassettes anymore? Should we go out and fit 8-tracks to our cars? Maybe we should discuss it further on Compuserve chat?

Things move on and services disappear because theyre not being used.

Im glad you've found a replacement and I'd love to use a Dexter reference but I dont want to risk spoilers - just go watch Stranger Things!

For folk who are interested in a comparable alternative to LoveFilm, it looks like Cinema Paradiso is the main choice; looks like they might even have a larger catalogue. Anyone tried them?

I used to use that, was pretty good as I remember. Although the whole Kodi/Exodus thing has made it pretty much redundant for me.

Sad to see it go though I was surprised it lasted as long tbh. I used to use them for games and would get the odd film/tv series as well. Once they did away with game hire I called it a day.

Waiting a day or two for a flim to come through is mental thinking now that you can go on Netflix/Kodi and pick something instantly.

I miss video shops as well though. I used to enjoy going with the Mrs on a weekend and picking out something. Kodi is far better but there was always something nice about physically going to a shop and deciding.

On 14/09/2017 at 15:06, Mr X said:

Theres nothing wrong with nice services, but this is a very, very niche service now. Where do you draw the line? Is anyone out there lamenting the fact you cant buy VHS cassettes anymore? Should we go out and fit 8-tracks to our cars? Maybe we should discuss it further on Compuserve chat?

Things move on and services disappear because theyre not being used.

Im glad you've found a replacement and I'd love to use a Dexter reference but I dont want to risk spoilers - just go watch Stranger Things!

You seem to be ignoring the point entirely for some reason. Once again, the reason I would (but thankfully, it doesn't look like I'll need to) miss film rental services is because of the sheer amount of choice in comparison to streaming services, not out of some great love for DVD or Blu-Ray media itself.

I don't understand why this bothers you so much TBH. Nobody's asking you to pay for it.

You seem to be ignoring the point entirely for some reason. Once again, the reason I would (but thankfully, it doesn't look like I'll need to) miss film rental services is because of the sheer amount of choice in comparison to streaming services, not out of some great love for DVD or Blu-Ray media itself.
I don't understand why this bothers you so much TBH. Nobody's asking you to pay for it.

No, I get the point. The comparison was simply about things that were popular that aren't anymore because they were superceded by better services.

I couldn't care less to be honest, I'm not the one complaining that a service nobody uses anymore has stopped.

On 14/09/2017 at 22:09, 19QOS19 said:

Sad to see it go though I was surprised it lasted as long tbh. I used to use them for games and would get the odd film/tv series as well. Once they did away with game hire I called it a day.

Waiting a day or two for a flim to come through is mental thinking now that you can go on Netflix/Kodi and pick something instantly.

I miss video shops as well though. I used to enjoy going with the Mrs on a weekend and picking out something. Kodi is far better but there was always something nice about physically going to a shop and deciding.

I hadn't noticed that LoveFilm stopped renting games, but it doesn't surprise me - the cost of stocking each title must be prohibitive in comparison to films. I don't know how the video shops used to manage to make a profit on them, considering that the games industry has never been keen on the rental market at all, so presumably they were paying wholesale prices for £85 SNES cartridges and renting them out for £3 per weekend. That's a lot of rentals just to recoup your money, but presumably they managed it.

The video shops I have a soft spot for had pretty much disappeared by the early Nineties - the (usually) family-owned places that had been around since the start of the home video market, and had a huge pile of films that you'd never even heard of. Blockbuster managed to kill them off by cutting the back catalogue and stockpiling new releases - amusing to think back to the days when folk would drop by to find out if the lazy b*****d down the road had returned the sole copy of E.T. yet  :P

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

No, I get the point. The comparison was simply about things that were popular that aren't anymore because they were superceded by better services.

I couldn't care less to be honest, I'm not the one complaining that a service nobody uses anymore has stopped.

This'll be your last post on the matter then, I assume.

20 hours ago, Mr X said:

"I get the point"

"Now here is an entirely different point allowing me to be condescending towards you"

Archived