Motherwell v Spittal & Co

Always think in this league momentum is crucial, right now Motherwell have it and Thistle don't.  So with fragile confidence, Motherwell's early goal set the tone and we really should have scored a second in the first twenty minutes.  However it became scrappy for a bit and it seemed both teams just went through the motions in the last twenty of the first half.  But we started the second on the front foot and Tanner's goal was no more than what we deserved and from then on we thoroughly dominated and if I'm being very critical we could and probably should have had more.  Was really surprised at how poor Partick were today, I was expecting a really competitive battle that we would have to hit the heights to win, but on that performance they aren't far from where they'll finish.  

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, archie guevara said:

Literally just in. Gutted. I love Archie and I hope he can turn it around.

Plenty of time.

People are getting carried away as usual. We're starting the season at exactly the same pace as we have in the previous two, and we've survived comfortably in both of them. Yes, the fact this keeps happening at the start of the year is a big flaw with Archibald, but if he fixes it again there won't be many complaints.

A comfortable win but we were never really stretched by a poor Partick side.   For a part of the game, Thistle competed but were totally toothless up front and lacked any kind of creativity.  It could have been worse for Thistle, but fortunately it wasn't.  Both Cerny and Barton were lucky to remain on the pitch - maybe they deserved some much needed good fortune .  Anyhow, we controlled most of the game apart from a 30 minute spell in the first half.  Good to see 3 different scorers.  For me Hartley was a class apart and Campbell was a real tiger in midfield.  Particularly pleasing was our clean sheet.   Its not often either that we've had such a strong bench, from which to call up reinforcements.. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It's already been commented on but Hartley's turn for the 3rd. Ooooft!

I'm already wondering if we can sign him permanently - he's exactly what we've needed for a few years...

I'm already wondering if we can sign him permanently - he's exactly what we've needed for a few years...

Would be great if we could. If only players would stay at clubs where they're happy, but sadly like moult an otherz it will come down to cash. But we can but dream. You just never know. It seems like a great club to be at at the moment.

Looking at the PR after he signed with Blackpool in the summer he's on a 2 year deal with a +1 option. There's a lot can happen between now and the end of the season especially with a League 1 side and even more so with a shitshow like Blackpool.

I suppose it depends on how their season pans out. They're 9th at the moment so who knows, they may have a reasonably stable season. From what the player has said he just want to play and Blackpool, for whatever reason, weren't doing that. He'll be 30 next season so it'd be a surprise if his squad situation there would change much, especially if they have a descent season.

Who knows, they may be amenable to just extending his loan through next season until the end of his deal? That may work for everyone. We get the player, he gets his games, they get wages covered for a squad player.

Archived