Motherwell v Spittal & Co

I was lucky and unlucky when it came to that Motherwell team of the early to mid 90s, depending on how you look at it.

As I was born in late '86, I wasn't quite old enough to truly appreciate just how good that team was. However, I was lucky as that was my first proper team and it was ridiculously easy to fall in love with Motherwell and going to Fir Park.

Going back to that 3-2 Partick game, was that the one 'Well fans were in the South Stand? I have a memory of being in the top tier of that stand and I'm sure it was Partick we played.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

This grainy footage shows the last time we won at Fir Park. Apparently it lifted us up from second bottom place in the top flight . A similar result on Saturday would be very welcome.

I think we beat them 2-0 at Fir Park in January 1996.

We've been up and down this season, even in individual games, so it will be interesting to see how we react to the poor display in the Aberdeen match.

I think I would actually have preferred to play Accies away this week, as you got that impression that we had lost our focus a bit after winning the cup match and a derby would perhaps minimise the sense of distraction caused by the upcoming semi final.

We have a good record against Partick at Fir Park but for me Partick are in a false position right now, their fixture list has been horrific, so I'd expect a difficult match from them and it would be a big mistake to under estimate them.

In terms of the games we've played, it's fine saying "aye, we've played all the top teams" but it does put pressure on us over these next 4 games, with the first one against a team in good form on a ground where the last time we won, George Burns was still alive. And a couple of posters on this thread weren't born.

I suppose it's only been 12 (I think) games since a win at FP which sounds better than 21 years, but we've spent 6 seasons in the same league as Motherwell since then, and finished above them in three of them!

I guess McGinn will be the candidate to play LWB now we're onto our 3rd long-term injured full back of the season but from limited TV viewing I don't think him or Milan will be particularly comfortable there. As long as we don't play Bannigan there after the last time...

9 hours ago, Crilly said:

However they're not sitting second bottom on 3 points because of bad luck or biased referees.  

We are though. 

Hibs was our own fault, no dodgy decisions or bad luck. 

Against Celtic we should've had a last minute penalty, even Pat Bonner said it was a penalty! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r5GHRpAocw0 

St Johnstone, again our own fault 

Aberdeen got a dodgy penalty for their 2nd goal and ended up winning 4-3 

Against County, Schalk dived for a penalty 

Against Rangers for the 2-2 game, prior to Dorran's goal there should have been a throw in to Thistle (can't find a link but I'm sure someone will have it somewhere) 

Against Hearts their goal didn't go over the line IMO. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThistleTweet/status/911881684995452928 

So in conclusion that's 8 points lost from refereeing decisions, an extra 8 points and we'd be sitting 6th so your point doesn't stand.

11 hours ago, Swello said:

Never handed out a reddy - but sorely tempted at the moment.

I'll see your sickening defeat and raise you a brazil-like goal finished by Billy Davies from the next season - one of my favourite goals ever. 

That was my birthday you heartless bazza :(:(

12 hours ago, Swello said:

Never handed out a reddy - but sorely tempted at the moment.

I'll see your sickening defeat and raise you a brazil-like goal finished by Billy Davies from the next season - one of my favourite goals ever. 

The goals were bigger in those days

17 minutes ago, archie guevara said:

Jordan Turnbull looks comfortable on the ball, so my shock selection tip for Saturday is him at left wing back.

Either that or Milan the Assassin at right back and Paulo McGinn at left back?

Massive fan of the nostalgia in this thread, not least because it takes our minds off our recent form.  It saddens me that the crowds we get for this fixture nowadays are much smaller, though. I said as much in a Thistle-Killie match thread last season.

I always look upon our games against Motherwell as a 'personal derby' as I live and work beside plenty of 'well fans. Always top bantz when our teams play. It's usually quite a high scoring fixture, with the away team rarely triumphing. Hopefully we buck that trend on Saturday. I won't make the game unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Massive fan of the nostalgia in this thread, not least because it takes our minds off our recent form.  It saddens me that the crowds we get for this fixture nowadays are much smaller, though. I said as much in a Thistle-Killie match thread last season.

I always look upon our games against Motherwell as a 'personal derby' as I live and work beside plenty of 'well fans. Always top bantz when our teams play. It's usually quite a high scoring fixture, with the away team rarely triumphing. Hopefully we buck that trend on Saturday. I won't make the game unfortunately.

I agree and it is sad - one of the biggest reasons that average crowds have dropped is that away crowds are tiny compared to previous times.  Thistle, Killie, Falkirk, Dunfermline etc used to bring comparatively huge crowds to fir park compared to the away supports we get from even the likes of Hearts now.  It's actually difficult to remember but football was *much* more affordable then and I think this is the biggest factor.

I recently found my cup final ticket from 1991 and it was  £7 to get in - I was amazed at that. 7 (seven) Quid. I know the early 90's was a long time ago  - but inflation alone would make that ticket worth about £14.50 now and look what we are expected to pay for a run of the mill league game in the Premiershipnever mind a final.

I've always enjoyed a victory over Thistle, I think due to the fact that there was a spell in the early 00s when we just couldn't buy a win against them no matter what we did. The game that always sticks out is the New Year 2003 game at Fir Park which finished 2-2 and was a blood & thunder affair with Faddy sent off for us. Alex Burns scored a double for them that day(indeed, he scored against us every single meeting that season, prompting us to sign him in the summer) and David Clarkson got his first Well goal to put us 1-0 up before they went 2-1 up before (I think) David Partridge rescued a point for us late on. That Thistle team was full of cluggers (Gerry Britton, Martin Hardie etc) and we were picking up yellow cards by the bucket load that season so that match was a real battle.

As for tomorrow though? 0-0.

Archived