Motherwell v Spittal & Co

Genuinely tough one to predict. Motherwell are playing well and look much improved on last season and we're not as bad as results show. We just can't get past a 1 goal lead. Otherwise we're a decent outfit.

However due to out 80'-90' min frailties I think it'll be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the last period and the Steelman favorite forward Moult may win for you.

2-1 Well'.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Somewhat related to the mid-90s stuff- those that were alive at the time, what were the 1993-94 and 94-95 seasons like? We finished 3rd in the former, 4 points off first and 2nd in the latter. Were these considered legitimate Motherwell title challenges at the time? And would that have been perceived as a Leicester-esque underdog story, or was a non-OF champion a lot less unthinkable at the time than it is now, due to it only being a decade after Dundee United and Aberdeen had done so? 

The season we finished 3rd was the one we were closer and as close we'll ever be to winning it - but I don't remember anyone making a huge fuss of it at the time - certainly less than would be the case now. We beat Rangers at the end of April (I think it was the 4th last game):

At this point, we were 5 points behind with 4 to play. Rangers drew with Celtic in the next game and we beat Killie to move within 3 but then we utterly blew it. Sieb Dykstra, who had been magnificent all season, chose the worst time to Samson a couple of tame efforts and we got beat 2-1 by Utd at Fir Park. The real kick in the baws was that Rangers got beat 1-0 at Easter Rd on the same night and so we would have been level on points (but way behind on goal difference) if we had won against a very average Utd side. Neither Rangers or us won the last 2 games, so it's definitely the biggest missed opportunity in my time., even if it fell short of what Aberdeen did in '91 by taking it to the last day.

The above is from memory, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on the points, etc.

On the game today, Ryan Murrant leaving gives the team a lift and we take the 3 points.

Wasn't it still 2pts for a win in 93/94? Despite making an arse of the last couple of league games, I don't think Rangers were ever in any real danger of not winning the League that year.

48 minutes ago, Desp said:
Wasn't it still 2pts for a win in 93/94? Despite making an arse of the last couple of league games, I don't think Rangers were ever in any real danger of not winning the League that year.

It was 2pts, aye. Rangers finished on 58 points we finished on 54. 20 wins and 14 draws.

I definitely remember feeling at the time that the United game was the point that we'd blown it but I don't really remember there being any sort of hysteria around things. Certainly not in the same way you'd imagine things would be were the same thing to happen now. Then again there weren't the same sort of saturation of football coverage then.

You had Sportsound on the radio on the weekends, Sportscene and Scotsport on the telly on a Saturday evening and the sports pages. That was pretty much it. There wasn't the same 24/7 rolling coverage nor was there the same culture of the pundit.

Also, you're talking about an era where both Aberdeen and United had won the league relatively recently while Hearts had gone close as well. If you look at the number of times the Old Firm were split in the seasons before then it seems much less of a *thing* to get worked up about.

Oddly one memory I have is of Chic Young on the radio before a game talking about how "pound for pound" Motherwell were the best team in the league and him being completely derided for it by who ever was on with him aghast at the suggestion that any team was better than Rangers.

3 hours ago, Desp said:

Yes! I'd forgotten that - it was the next season that 3 points came in - which is the why the hysteria wasn't as much I guess. We would still have been in touch if we'd have beaten Utd but wouldn't have been level....

We've been poor but Thistle have been worse. Poor fare so far but the most important thing is we're ahead though we need to work on our final ball and put this to bed. We look completely comfortable so far and in no danger whatsoever, that worries me.

On the evidence of the first 45 minutes I can honestly say that Partick Thistle are the worst side I have seen this season.

I hate that we have these prolonged phases of being utterly abysmal at certain grounds. Fir Park fast approaching the records we held at East End and McDiarmid Park for so long (it may actually have passed our Perth one already).

So much of it must be in the head. There's really no reason that we should have a great record away to both Highland clubs and then such an utterly pathetic one against Motherwell. Or that we don't win away at St Johnstone for about 30 years and then win 5 of the next 6 there. What a flaky mess of a club we can be at times.

tenor.gif

To be fair we've not been far away in any games this season including putting in an astute performance v Celtic at home. Our only issue has been giving away leads.

But today is terrible. Worst performance of season. I think the supporters at least thought we'd compete for the win.

But this is the first time I will say it as an Archie fan. If he doesn't turn this ship on a path to climb the league especially after last years top 6 how long can we go winless without him getting the chop? It's been 8 games this season and 13 since split last season, Isn't this a results business?

3-0 now as i finish writing this. [emoji85]

Archived