Motherwell v Spittal & Co

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooft. Much negativity here. Motherwell are playing, ahem, well, at the moment, but they lost by a single goal to the Dons. We did that too. They also got beat at home by the currant buns. We are currently unbeaten in the league this season against that lot. They have Louis Moult, we have Doolan. We don't have a great record at Fir Park, but things can change. I'll go for a highly entertaining 2-2.

There's been a massive turnover of players at Fir Park so we're still kind of finding our feet a bit in terms of who offers what to the side.

As an example, it only really became clear how much Andy Rose brings to the side when he wasn't there against Aberdeen in an absolute shitfest on Sunday. It's difficult to argue against Steven Hammell having looked a better option on the left side of our back 3 in terms of distribution and use of the ball but Dunne offers more natural pace and physicality. Tanner and Bigrimana have contributed a fair bit off the bench when games have been a bit more open but haven't really done much when they've started.

Upshot is we've broadly had a regular starting XI that's been picking up results and players who have been keeping their places in the side because they've largely been playing well. The down side of that is that you've got guys like Bigirimana, Tanner and Fisher who haven't really been starting games so are probably a wee bit behind everyone in terms of developing in-game relationships with everyone else. Frear got a run out off the bench on Sunday and for our u20s last night after missing a couple of games as part of a concussion protocol but Tait's deputised pretty well at LWB, Cadden's filled in at RWB and Allan Campbell has taken Cadden's place in the centre of the park and quickly established himself as one of our best players.

If Rose is fit then I could see us going back and starting with the side that bodied Aberdeen in the LC and Bigirimana, Tanner and Fisher coming off the bench.

Carson
Kipré Hartley Hammell
Cadden Campbell McHugh Rose Tait
Bowman Moult

Interested to see how we do in this one - having Hibs away and Aberdeen twice made it an intense week and it was fairly lethargic display on Sunday. 

Never thought I'd be saying this - but (assuming Rose is fit), the change I'd be thinking about would be to give McHugh a seat on the bench because with our squad being what it is, it's important that every player knows that their place isn't guaranteed, even the Captain. He's been out of sorts for a lot of the league games for some reason and with us likely to have more of the ball than we have in the previous 3 games, Bigi might be a good choice with Campbell and Rose keeping things solid behind him...

Still half expecting Lionel Ainsworth to score in this one even though he's no longer at Motherwell. 

Think we'll stick with a back 3 given Motherwell play 2 up front but no idea which attacking combination is best. 

First game I'll have made since the opening day so despite our nonsensical record at Motherwell I'm actually quite looking forward to it. 

There's plenty of positivity from the Motherwell fans about our squad this season, however if we were to lose this, we'd go into the international break having lost 50% of our league games, including three defeats at home.

Hopefully we've learned some lessons from the Aberdeen games. Frear should be back in, as should Rose if fit.

Carson

Kipré
Hartley
Dunne

Cadden
Campbell
McHugh
Rose
Frear

Moult
Bowman

2-0 Motherwell

If we lose this and I fully expect us to, I think Archie could be in real trouble.

Real trouble? I don't think so. He's got the next 5 fixtures to get us up the table. I think if we don't pick up minimum of 8/15 points then I think he's in possible trouble as we can't be left at foot of table and winless approaching Christmas. We may not win this weekend but I think we'll start to build after Int. break.

Real trouble? I don't think so. He's got the next 5 fixtures to get us up the table. I think if we don't pick up minimum of 8/15 points then I think he's in possible trouble as we can't be left at foot of table and winless approaching Christmas. We may not win this weekend but I think we'll start to build after Int. break.

I think that's probably fair. Am I right in thinking Thistle still have Accies, Dundee and Killie to play in the first round of fixtures? Given you've still to play a couple of the sides down the bottom alongside you then those are the games where Archie could be in trouble if there aren't any wins from them.

As it stands one win could easily bump Thistle up a couple of places. The league doesn't have as many sides within touching distance this season but a couple of wins against whoever' 9th, 10th and 12th would make some difference.

Archived